iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dick Stohr sighting in Barcelona  (Read 3314 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Dick Stohr sighting in Barcelona
« on: June 11, 2011, 10:20:20 PM »

Cattus posted on Pulp's forum that he met Dick at a Cometa contest in Barcelona! He recognized him because he was wearing a National Yo-Yo T-shirt and he had read on this forum that he would be visiting this summer.  It is surprising Dick had time out of his cruise to track down a contest and it is amazing he met somebody else who reads this forum.  8) They had chance to throw tops together and I imagine Dick got a few tops. Unfortunately, Pulp says Gustavo is promoting in Valencia so he was not among the demonstrators.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Dick Stohr sighting in Barcelona
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »

That is pretty cool to hear.  Good job, Dick!  I can't wait to hear him tell all about it.  I will have to check out Cattus's report.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:24:21 AM »

Unfortunately I'm linked to Madrid. That was a good meeting.
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 04:24:14 PM »

Our group for the cruise always gets to the port city a couple of days early to tour and be sure that airline problems do not prevent getting to the ship on time.  We were out on a walking tour of Barcelona and had some free time at the biggest department store I have seen.  So Bev and I went to the toy department to see what they had.  There we saw a large poster about a spin top demo by the Mexico Champions that evening.  We continued the tour including the subway and some of the famous buildings, but then I realized that I was not going to have time to go back to the hotel and get my camera.  So Bev stayed with the group, back to the hotel and I had a quick sandwich and then I went back to the toy dept a little early to wait for the demo team.  They showed up a few minutes early and I went over and talked with them (they did not speak much English and I know no Spanish).  Alfredo Coroua Ruiz and Enrique Ramirez.  So I pulled out a bearing Spintastics and did a few things.  Then Alfredo handed me his Cometa Tornado and I did wire walker and a couple of others, he had a big smile at that time.  They went to work and I stayed out of the way and watched.  The event started with both of them doing the series of tricks that the kids were going to do.  Then they did a few more difficult tricks and asked the kids (25 to 30) to sit in a circle.  With the parents and other family behind them the way through the store was completely blocked.  They went around the circle so that each child got to do the trick and then around again 3 more times.  The tricks were spinner, big scoop, sky rocket, and boomerang.  Then the fathers did a long spin contest, the mothers did a long spin contest.  Both were good but the moms were more fun.  Then the kids in 2 groups (younger and older) did long spin.  The winners got an award top and everyone had a great time.  At the end Alfredo came over and gave me the top he used in the show.  Then Cattus introduced himself and we talked and threw a little and found that there were still some of the Cometa tops available so I bought a Spider, Azteca, and a Cobra with a DVD.  What a night and what luck that I was in town, at the store, when they were scheduled to be there.  I really had a good time and wish that I had my camera.
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 07:33:36 PM »

I guess that was destiny!
No camera?  :(  But at least you had your blizzard in the pocket!  8)