iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: just saw some bull fighting and crazy jumping over the bulls  (Read 5438 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

Hey Mr. Pulp......have you ever seen "recortes", the type of bullfighting where the guys jump over the bulls?  I just saw a show on TV about it and thought I would go to a reliable source to get more information!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: just saw some bull fighting and crazy jumping over the bulls
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 01:20:40 PM »

History was not my favorite subject in school, but one image I recall from my 8th grade class history book is a Minoan woman from Crete jumping over a bull. Perhaps it had to do with the fact that she was topless . . .  ::)  By the way, I recently saw a documentary on TV explaining that the Minoan civilization probably ended when a huge tsunami hit the island (the survivors were easy prey for the invaders from mainland).
« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 01:49:40 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 04:51:28 PM »

Hmmmm......topless bull jumping?  That is bound to leave an impression on a junior high boy.  What school did you go to?  Ohio junior high schools left out important information like that. 

All the bull jumpers in the show I saw were men.  I'm glad to hear women were also involved.  And the tsunami wiping out the Minoan island is something I never thought about.  Of course, I never thought about topless women jumping over bulls until now, either!

Have any of our top spinning friends ever gone to a bullfight or a "recorts" with bull jumping fighers?  All that bull hopping must be an amazing thing to watch and not as cruel as regular bullfights for, from what I heard, they do not kill the bull after these battles.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »

That is bound to leave an impression on a junior high boy.
The author of the book must have been a pedagogical genius  ;D

I did a search for Minoan bull leaping and I could not find one exactly as I think I remember (a fresco), but I did find this "reconstruction":

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 11:54:07 AM »

When I was deployed to Rota Spain with a Navy P-3 squadron we would go to the local bull ring for Friday night fun.  Some of the fighters were not that good and I remember one deaf guy was usually not as good as the bull, but he made it fun.  There was never a woman nor topless woman bull fighter but we did see some of the guys jump over the bull.  Sometimes with the help of the bull.  When they did it seemed that they had been near the bottom of the bottle of the vino.  We did get to a few of the bigger fights with big name fighters.  It was a much better show, with no jumping the bulls.  The topless was always at the beach, not in the ring.
Practice hard and play safe.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 06:31:17 PM »

The "recortes" or forçados is typical from Portugal. In Spain, Mexico and Colombia the bull end dead by an special sword called estoque.

And my "hot" comentary. People with a big cock call it estoque too. :)
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 12:19:27 AM »

salut la compagnie !

"In Spain, Mexico and Colombia the bull ends dead"
unfortunately you can add France to these barbaristic countries >:(

there has been a strong anti-corrida movement here despite cultural heritage,folkloric patrimony etc to justify the slaughtering of bulls....;with a few results : the strict control on the number of animals sacrificed

but most city mayors in the south west and Basque country support corridas ,whatever their political colour...

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"