iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinning plasma  (Read 2431 times)

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Spinning plasma
« on: June 11, 2011, 03:15:54 AM »

I'm really excited by the future spinning plasma in the new exprimental international pre-comercial f-U-sion nuclear reactor ITER.

170.000.000 ÂșC needed for an 1:10 rate of energy balance input-output.

Lot of information at www.iter.org

Congrats Jim, it is being building in your country.

The hope for an really safe and clean electricity source that leave to a electricity society. I miss to fuel my motorbike but the future must be without fossil sources of energy.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 11:21:23 AM by ta0 »
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Spinning plasma
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 11:36:07 AM »

The ITER planning has been going on for a long, long time but we are still probably 30 years away from a commercial fusion reactor. The pre-ITER feasibility studies paid my salary for two years, 17 years ago (researching possible ways to remotely inspect the plasma facing tiles). It is still a controversial project as many think it will not work in practice. In fact, the challenge of keeping the reactor intact is daunting. But I am hopeful it will eventually be commercially feasible. Anyway, I am more optimistic about this (magnetic confinement) fusion approach than the alternative laser (inertial confinement) fusion. But in the US the later has better funding as it is sold to the military as a way of studying the physics of thermonuclear bombs.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
Re: Spinning plasma
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2011, 02:22:10 AM »

The Iter schedule is very variable. Iter should be ready to work in 10 years. After 5 years of experiments the "DEMO" reactor would be ready to building, and after again 10 years of building and 5 of testing, the "Fusion pret a porter" reactor should be ready to deliver. And as the Tango said "twenty years is nothing".