iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: the freshman class of physics spinners at UC  (Read 3759 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
the freshman class of physics spinners at UC
« on: June 03, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »

Several of the new graduate students just completing their first year have become enthused about spinning with us and with a physics undergrad and two other grad students also recently joining in, our ranks now total 10 (at least for a while) with most throwing solid spinners and at least two thirds boomeranging regularly after just two or three sessions.  Although it is hard to get everyone together, this evening eight of us had a good time learning, teaching, battling, and trying big tops.  The good natured competition and cooperation among the new guys is really motivating everyone to progress rapidly and try new tricks on the Spintastics list.  Patrick and Bryan are really enjoying super high trapeze throws (and catches) with Patrick beating our heights by a significant margin.  Even if several drop out after a while, I think we've got two or three addicted rather strongly.  Next week is final exams so we'll see who was using this as a temporary distraction and who'll be with us all summer. :)

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Re: the freshman class of physics spinners at UC
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 09:39:25 PM »

When do you all meet. Maybe I can come down sometime. And maybe Mike would come with me... (Hint, Hint)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 10:42:03 PM »

Wow, that is a great post johnm.  I am so excited to hear about the new "freshman class" of spinners at UC.

I was just lamenting to myself this weekend that we haven't had any new top spinning or juggling converts recently in Miamisburg.  I do have some new ideas but it will be a bit before they can be implemented.  Your story is a great pick-me-up during this dry spell.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 08:01:44 AM »

When do you all meet. Maybe I can come down sometime. And maybe Mike would come with me... (Hint, Hint)

Since people are doing research, teaching, and studying, everyone's schedule varies from day to day and this large group just happened this week, we haven't planned any meeting in advance.  Sometimes in the evening (6:00pm or so) someone just walks around to check out who is available and currently goofing off.  I think that if John and/or Mike (or anyones else around) where to pick a day and time after finals week and break week to visit UC, we could assemble a group.  Seeing players who can really link tricks together like you guys would really impress our group. 

Of course if you want to come down earlier, some us are always here with big tops waiting to be tossed. ;)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 09:04:42 AM »

These are great news! Spintops a future college craze?   ::)
I guess this assures a nice contingent for the Miamisburg festival and the Hall of Fame/Top Land this year. :)

Go Cincy spinners!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2011, 10:24:20 PM »

Yippeee!  Go Whirled Top Fest 2011 and the grand opening of Topland!!!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 01:28:54 PM »

That's a good crowd!  Nice work spreading the spin top joy.

I'll bet you get more than a few on the hook, even after procrastination season.
Erratic Wobbler

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »

a lot of physics involved here !

great spreading of the virus , John !
thanx for sharing

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 01:56:29 PM »

Great effort John!   8)
I hope it becomes contagious and spreads with geometric progression!
Keep it going!   :)