iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Big Cardboard Tops part Due  (Read 16018 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Big Cardboard Tops part Due
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2011, 10:39:01 PM »

Alan Gray, you are one amazing top maker!  You are also one amazingly hard worker.  As Neff says, lucraty is what you deserve.  Sadly, lucraty is not always what top makers get. 

Keep up the fantastic work and I sure hope Dick Stohr can stop by there on his cruise.  And wouldn't it be great if Maurizio and others could also stop by?

I was touched to read that the exhibit opens on my birthday.  Now that is the type of news I like to have on my birthday!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Cosa

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 12:13:14 AM »

Wow, Alan, congratulations!  What a fantastic opportunity.

I'd love to have an exhibit poster with the top on it!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2011, 06:00:31 AM »

salut Alan !!

very stunning work : the colours are absolutely shiny ! and the elegance of shape : me likes a lot !!! :D :D :D

"Biennale " means every 2 years ...it's often used for contemporary arts... we have the Biennale also here in Paris , on "even" years

what else to say ?
i wish you many more orders of this type and i'm sure not many people around can handle such a fine work

and , as the old saying goes :

" the sun has risen and the sun has set
but Alan hasn't finished to pack them all yet "

alligator !

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

albertino

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2011, 06:12:22 AM »

Wow amazing! it's art :D
LAUNCH THE COFFE DRINK THE TOP, drink the top on the coffe, drink coffe on the top, I LOVE DRINK COFFE AND LAUNCH TOP!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2011, 09:38:16 AM »

It's funny to me that Alan just casually mentions the name of the show and then says he's never beard of it. The Bienniale is a HUGE deal in the art world. They choose only one artist from each country. And our Alan is in it!

The tops look great Alan. Can't wait to throw them this weekend.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2011, 01:25:25 AM »

Thanks for that explanation, MarkHayward.  Now we can better appreciate the talent we have on this board!!!

Good work, Alan!

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2011, 10:50:05 AM »

Thank you all. It was quite the experience again. I had to battle freezing temperatures and leaky garage roof this year. Even got a respirator this year. My new shop slippers really saved my feet.

I found this article about the show in New York last year. They say who made the tops in the article.

http://www.artnexus.com/Notice_View.aspx?DocumentID=22159

The truck should arrive today to get the crates. Now to make a big raffle top.

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2011, 10:54:21 AM »

the master top maker from Omaha, Nebraska, Alan Gray

Nice !
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2011, 05:20:16 PM »

I found some additional information regarding the location of artwork.

Commissioner: Miria Vicini. Curator: Duccio Trombadori. Deputy Curator: Jorge Fernandez. Venue: Isola di San Servolo, Caserma Cornoldi

http://universes-in-universe.org/eng/bien/venice_biennale/2011/info/cuba

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »

I had not heard if the tops arrived safely in Venice. So, I did some searching and found some photos. I'm not sure what happened with the Russian Embassy Top. The weld may have broken at the base. Nice to see they made it anyhow.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexandre_arrechea/with/5805092936/

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2011, 11:37:58 PM »

So sorry to see that Russian Embassy top on its side.  Hope they can get that welded very soon and have it upright where it belongs!

Glad they made it there ok (at least mostly ok).

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2011, 01:25:59 AM »

They might have also just decided that they wanted that one to lie on it's side too.

I was talking with some art pals tonight, and I told them about Alan's tops being in this show. We talked about it, and everyone decided that the Venice Biennale is not just a big art show, but rather it is the most prestigious art show in the world. I just wanted to make sure that everyone really understood how awesome it is that Alan has tops in it.

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:50 AM »

I am very honored to have my tops there. It has been fun being a part of it.

Mark was correct about them wanting to have the Russian Embassy top on its side rather than standing up. It turns out the building is really heavy and he was not comfortable with the base. He did not want to kill anyone. That is the orientation of the top of which I am most familiar.

jwolfe

• simple as that
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2011, 09:27:22 PM »

wonder how it plays? :D

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #29 on: June 26, 2011, 12:13:36 PM »

They play very well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just back from the cruise.  I have photos but they are still in the camera.  I will post tomorrow or Wednesday.  I am doing a presentation at the Richmond Library on Tuesday. 

It was a very interesting adventure.  The ship docked late morning, I got the shuttle boat and arrived at the main area of town about noon.  I showed the poster from this board and asked where can I find this?  The answer was go right 4 or 5 bridges (they count bridges like we count traffic lights) and turn left.  Well that was very vague but I started going in that direction and after about 3/4 to a mile I saw a sign for the exhibit and an information booth.  The gal in the booth had no idea what I was looking for and did not know how to find it.  So I went a little farther and found the main section of the big exhibit.  In this info booth the lady was more helpful.  First she could not find the actual location and let me know that the admission was 20E.  That seemed to me that $30 was a bit much to go in a place that I was not sure that I would find the tops.  She did some more checking in the computer and found that Cuba had a place for Cuban artists and that was where I needed to go.  Well what she said was go all the way back to where I started and catch a #20 boat to get to the island of San Servolo.  So another mile or so and  5 or 6 bridges, and I just missed the #20 boat but could catch the next one in 50 minutes.  The fare was only 3E each way.  When I got to the island I saw signs to the Cuban exhibit and got lost twice.  Had some help and found the correct place.  The guy at the door said it was in the second room on the right and no entry fee.  Half of the room was the tops and the other half was a rope about 4 feet off of the floor.  I could not read the label to see if it was the art work or that it was not there. 

It was very impressive to see the 3 tops with buildings on top.  The tops looked well made and an important part of what the artist wanted to show.  I did not find out why the one was laying down but the bottom had a short shaft, a ball, and a small plate which looked like it may have been part of the mount.  In the pictures the one to the right would spin very well.  The one to the left was harder to spin but it did move around.  The whole Cuban exhibit was 7 artists in 3 rooms.  I am not sure but I think that the whole island is a University and that the students had gone home between sessions.

It was fun trying to figure out what I was trying to do without knowing the language.  I hope this made some sense, I would be happy to answer an questions that I can.
Practice hard and play safe.