iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Whip Catches.?...  (Read 5141 times)

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Whip Catches.?...
« on: April 22, 2011, 07:47:47 PM »

Today on Takeshi birthday I decided to get around to figuring out how to do whip catches. Takeshi does some nice whip catches. In about an hour or so I was able to figure out how to do a couple of whip catches. Any pointers? Videos to better explain how to do whip catches?

and Happy Birthday Takeshi.!... ^_^  ;D

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
Re: Whip Catches.?...
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:08:26 PM »

Yes, Happy B-day Takeshi!

Happy whip catches Mark!

I would love to have some advise on these too.
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Happy Birthday Mr. Takeshi Sir
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:00:58 PM »

Happy bd to Takeshi the Mitchmeister.  Hope you had a great day and have your new year all whipped into shape.

Yes, Takeshi does some amazing whips as well as his terrific two top tangler.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 10:33:39 PM »

Happy Birthday Mitch!!!!!!!!!!!!
Many,many more.
Practice hard and play safe.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 10:51:05 PM »

...In about an hour or so I was able to figure out how to do a couple of whip catches. Any pointers? Videos to better explain how to do whip catches?
Make sure to give yourself a big loop - your hand should be a fist with the string coming out of either side.  For an overhand whip, it helps me to use my non-throw hand to push it apart a little like I do at 0:53 here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6V2tBq5Agc

I haven't practiced underhand whips much.  Matt Ritter does a bunch in Takeshi's "Who is Matt Ritter?" video.

Takeshi is great at it.  He did a pretty cool underhand whip in my basement once...

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:26 PM »

Yeah, pretty cool: between-the-legs-behind-the-back-floor-bounce-full-string whip catch . . .  :o  8)

Mark: are you doing overhand or underhand whips?  Half-string or full-string?

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 05:03:49 AM »

That whip catch is amazing

Takeshi

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 07:26:06 AM »

Thanks Mark!  Thanks everyone!

Well, if any of you ever get a chance to throw tops with Felix, DO IT!  Start tossing out ideas to him and make 'em happen.  That full length string bounce between the legs whip catch thing I did was part of about 50 top whips he and I came up with at Worlds '03.  We did off the floor bounce whips, off the wall bounce whips, hackey sack type whip catches, different grind up the arm whips... it was just a couple of hours of whip mania!  We were just doing it for goofs, but when I look back, I REALLY should have had my camera out.

I did this a few years ago... http://www.sector-y.com/2011/02/01/a-couple-of-whips/

Unfortunately I can't think of any good tutorials, but if you watch some off-string yo-yo freestyles, you can get tons of inspiration for different whips.

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:55:27 PM »

I was trying half string whip catches like the one I saw Felix do on HTBP 2 video. Half-string Overhand Whip Catch. Because of how long it takes to set up for half-string whip catch with TG fix tip the top doesn't always want to pop of the string because of the twists. I decided to move on to Full-String Overhand Whip Catches. 1 hand full string whip catches to me look a lot more smooth to do than half-string whip catches. And with more length in the string it makes it somewhat easier to catch the top on the string. Also with more length in the string you can actually hear a whip sound as this trick is based off of diabolo trick… I might have practiced too long but I finally did get a few full-string whip catches. 1 around the world to whip catch. And 1 double whip catch… I'm tired now more practicing later on.

yes, Make a Fist.!.. that little advice was helpful. thanks Chris.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2011, 11:05:37 PM »

I am not sure if this is on any help, but over two years ago I filmed this combo while testing slow motion:

http://ta0.com/tricks/videos/full-whip-combo_slowmo.swf

For the overhand whip I hit it close to the end of the loop while for the underhand I try to hit it with the middle of the loop.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 11:09:40 PM »

Thanks ta0 I needed to see that.  I like the look of yours, especially the underhand.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2011, 06:48:47 PM »

Yes, you all make it look so easy
The underhand looks very smooth, the overhand looks more forced but both look great, this is all very encorageing, I been working on a few different whip catches, but is really hard for me to judge where the string is going to hit
IMO underhand is just smoother and easier but I would like to learn some Takeshi whips, so much variety, my whips are all right infront of me and I still miss 7 out of 10 tries
I remember last year at Worlds Takeshi did a whip where he caught it from the back, very smooth, all one movement, he thru it from the front and blindly caught from his back, to me that was amazing, I wish I would had have my camera rolling
I guess more practice is needed in my case, but im going to keep trying
Thanks for posting all this videos, they really help

serrell

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2011, 10:34:03 AM »

Wow, the video Neff posted is amazing.  Guess I have been out of the loop for too long.  I have got some practicing to do.  LOL
"it's not the size of the tip, it's the sling of the string"