iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: SECOND CHANCE! (double-tip video)  (Read 8152 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
SECOND CHANCE! (double-tip video)
« on: March 27, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »

I think this is the first video made with a bunch of double-tip tricks. The tricks are (mostly) not one-of-a-kind smart tricks but basic tricks for this style of play.  For a long time players have complained that there are almost no tricks for (until recently just YYJ) double tip tops (not counting the ones Colombians do with their traditional tops.) I think this video will change that perception. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn_WB9WYKfc

« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 07:40:45 PM by ta0 »

pplgrande

• Superhero member
Re: SECOND CHANCE! (double-tip video)
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 03:35:35 PM »

Thats awesome ta0, very interesting, mystery tip? how did you do that, is it a OWB?
Even the "basic" tricks like MGR or Crazy 8, is very difficult, is backwards, very nice video and encouraging

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 03:59:07 PM »

Great video ta0!
Beautiful set of tricks!
I really like the overhead and especially the Tarzan Grind.
The fixed tip/bearing tip set-up is something I've been dreaming of ever since first seeing Maurizio's crown last year.
Thanks for posting this!  :D

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »

Wow, wow and re-wow!!!!

Amazing. I specially love the changing-precession regengs. Great and imaginative the Tarzan grind. And a lot of sensibility in the last trick using the polish surface of the tip for a like-bearing trick!

Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 06:35:17 PM »

The chest grind is epic!   Great video, way to put the get the ball rolling with double tip play.
I'm guessing the last trick was done with a fixed tip on the bottom like Pulp said.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 07:29:52 PM »

Thanks guys!

After I found out how to start MGR by catching the upper tip while it is spinning on the left hand (much easier than from the right hand) I started to play much more with it and really enjoyed the two-tip play. I think that is the most important trick on the video, even if it is simple and unnamed.

The Tarzan Grind is a trick I had developed before by either grabbing the tip of a bearing top or (much more difficult) popping a (bearing or fixed tip) top out of a trapeze onto the chest. So this would be the two-tip version of the Tarzan grind.

What I like the most about this style of play is that the reversed precession makes you revisit and relearn basic tricks and you get to understand better "topology" (Don Olney borrowed this math term first in one of his books).

And a lot of sensibility in the last trick using the polish surface of the tip for a like-bearing trick!
I WISH! but I am not that good (maybe I can get a couple of seconds out of a boomerang). Clue: that top has the axle joining the upper and lower tips.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:57:04 PM »

Terrific video.  I am sure Maurizio and JohnM are proud to see their tops used in such fun and creative ways.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 09:07:58 PM »

Great video master Ta0, that backwards precession is very confusing, it is always very inspiring to watch your work.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:39 PM »

Great play!  It is common in sports these days for campions to come out of retirement. ;D 8)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 12:19:32 AM »

I like the Asteroid/Sun looking thing...and all the rest!

There you go, lifting the bar on for us.

Nice hat too...  ;)
Erratic Wobbler

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2011, 11:20:55 AM »

superb Jorge

revisiting the tricks ; that's the point
very good upper tip gyro and MGR too ... i'm waiting for the upside down version :P

bravo: !!  Alcoz RULES   !!

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 06:06:31 PM »

Ok, this the secret to the bonus mystery trick.

The top has the axle joining the upper and lower tips, both set as bearings tips. But I discovered that if you turn both tips in opposite directions, so both try to unscrew from the axle, the pressure from the axle will make the tips freeze. The lower tip gets fixed well, so you can use it as a regular fixed tip.  However, a little torque on the upper tip will unstuck the setup and both tips will become bearing again. I don't know if this happens with all Giulias with upper tip kits, or just on this one.

The idea of the trick was to have first a fixed-tip-only trick and finish with a bearing-tip-only trick, with a upper tip trick in between to accomplish the magic.  There, I found a use for the axle (besides keeping the cap from popping out)!

Disclaimer: this is an out-of-specs use of the tops and may damage the tips. I got scared a couple of times when the lower tip did not spin well after doing this, but it was just some bad alignment of the parts. I wanted to get it on the video, but I don't know if I am doing it again.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »

I guess the disclaimer stopped everybody from trying it . . .
I could not resist the temptation so I installed the axle on the spotted Giulia (Jaguar ?  :D) and tried it: it works the same way! I could even reproduce the bonus trick on the first try. So it was not just a fluke of the white Giulia setup. After what Dale said on the other thread I guess this may be harmless after all (don't quote me on that).

Mmm, maybe we should revisit the challenge of doing the old 10 championship compulsories on the least amount of throws: now it could be done in just one . . .  (at least in theory  ::) )!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2011, 09:33:44 PM »

Mmm, maybe we should revisit the challenge of doing the old 10 championship compulsories on the least amount of throws: now it could be done in just one . . .  (at least in theory  ::) )!
I AM DOWN!

Jeromy K.

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2011, 07:49:59 PM »

Jorge, you would have been burned at the stake 200 years ago for your magic tricks. You are truly a magician with a top. Very nicely done Sir.
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up