iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spinners from Ohio  (Read 16526 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: Spinners from Ohio
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2009, 09:59:52 PM »

The big top Bryan is using is hollow plywood with a bearing tip.  It is about 10.5 inches tall overall and 9.75 inches diameter since the lathe has 10" max diameter capacity.  Its is an unconventional shape because I really didn't know what I was doing last year.  I had intended for it to be a physics demonstration so people could sense the inertia by holding it as it spins since our bicycle wheel for that purpose is a little large for many people.  I painted two big RIDDLER question marks (from Batman) on a green background hoping it would encourage questions (and I like the 'spiral' of that mark).  Instead, I've made a smaller top about the size of Mike's Preacher top (6.5 tall by 5.5 dia.) mounted with bearings to a PVC pipe handle with a 'barber pole' type spiral which is easier to see from the back of a classroom.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2009, 10:05:20 PM »

Jorge is right.  This is driving me crazy!!!  How long has all this been going on in Cincinnati and I knew nothing about it? 

Have you heard about our top festival in Miamisburg (just to the west of the Dayton Mall - exit #44 on I 71)?  We have had it the fourth Saturday of August for the past ten years but we would move it if we could get you all to come up!
Sorry, Mike.  As an avid lurker of the board, I knew the festival was on but things didn't pan out for us this year. :(

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2009, 11:38:21 PM »

Sorry, Mike.  As an avid lurker of the board, I knew the festival was on but things didn't pan out for us this year. :(

Yes, the wife had other plans for me that evening.  I told her I wanted to go though.
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2009, 12:27:06 AM »

Glad to see you guys show up!  I wish I was a little closer, I'd be right there with Mike wanting to come for a visit.

Don't apologize for scoring the last of the QS's--they needed to be bought up so more would be made!  Besides you got them fair & square.  Totally legit...

Maybee with a bunch of physics folks here, we could get a little lesson on "momment of inertia" for dummies and have a little chat about what makes for ideal spin top design.

Welcome!
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2009, 09:44:08 AM »

Welcome John and the rest of the gang! We are so glad you are here! (and in Mike's case that you are there!)

That big top is in the same league as the ones Alan and Eric make! The tradition here is to give them a name. "Newton" sounds good.  "Coriolis"? "Schrödinger's Cat"? (probably not)

The smaller one even has the Figaro stripes! ;D So, the handle is on the crown? Could you post a picture, perhaps?

I feel very flattered that you may use the spintop induction motor in your demonstrations.  I think it is a pretty neat demo. If you have the magnet and the tops it can be assembled in seconds (and disassembled to get back to playing with the tops  :)).

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 09:46:24 AM by ta0 »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2009, 04:44:50 PM »

That big top is in the same league as the ones Alan and Eric make! The tradition here is to give them a name. "Newton" sounds good.  "Coriolis"? "Schrödinger's Cat"? (probably not)

The big green top is named the Riddler.

The smaller one even has the Figaro stripes! ;D So, the handle is on the crown? Could you post a picture, perhaps?

Here's a picture of the lecture demo top on a handle.  The handle replaces a normal tip and the cord is wound the same way.  The stripes are black and red to support the UC colors.

Pulpowsky

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
  • Trainning trick: None
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 05:06:27 PM »

Wow!
  Greetings: Jorge Sanjuan.

www.pulpowsky.com/foro

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2009, 09:25:17 PM »

My calendar looks clear for Tuesday late morning (tomorrow 9/8 - day after Labor Day).  I'm willing to take the chance and drive down after I run some errands.  I hope to catch some people before lunch and maybe during lunch or right after.  I have no idea what everyone's schedule looks like but I have the time off and want to meet this treasure trove of top spinners at U.C.!!!

I'm going to be lurking around the first floor of the physics/geology building sometime after 10 or 11 am.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2009, 10:26:55 PM »

My calendar looks clear for Tuesday late morning (tomorrow 9/8 - day after Labor Day).  I'm willing to take the chance and drive down after I run some errands.  I hope to catch some people before lunch and maybe during lunch or right after.  I have no idea what everyone's schedule looks like but I have the time off and want to meet this treasure trove of top spinners at U.C.!!!

I'm going to be lurking around the first floor of the physics/geology building sometime after 10 or 11 am.

Not to speak for everyone, but I will be in then.  Be sure to check Geo-Phys 101/102.   ;)

I'll make sure to leave myself labwork  then and not be out.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2009, 06:39:42 AM »

Nice!!
And perhaps good timing as at least one of the local weather people predicts rain later in the day.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2009, 08:40:27 AM »

Gr8!!!  I'll be there soon.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2014, 06:51:27 PM »

Ha!  I was looking up science fairs and ran across this historic thread.  I see that in my 100th post and I said:
"This is my 100th post and it would be a very significant one if it means I get to know some other Ohio top spinners?  Where are you from, physboy2357?"

And from there I met johnm and others.  It certainly was a significant post!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2020, 04:08:29 PM »

Yesterday was my day off and I used it to get down to Cincy and the infamous physics labs at UC.  It was good to be in Bearcat country and to not have any bears attack me.  Actually, the campus was dead as students are still not back in classes (thus, making parking a lot easier).  The doors were open to the physics building but all the offices and labs were locked.  I thought I would not be able to see the great johnm but after walking around for a while I found him in a room hard at work with some big and mysterious project.  He was kind enough to pause to chat with me and thus began a great evening of top talk.  We were even able to walk up to Chipotle and enjoy a good meal together.  Thanks for all your time, johnm!!!  During the conversations I began wondering when all this began.  Was it ten years ago that my life totally changed?  So I found this thread and discovered that it has been ten years and just a few months since they revealed the UC whirled.  It is amazing what has happened in those ten years!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:30:02 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2020, 11:40:24 PM »

Sitting in John's office is always quite a treat.  I saw the large string and super glue top made by Daveid.  It is amazing and really colorful.  It was a thrill to hold.  I saw tops of all sizes and shapes.  How great to see some of the old favorites from ten years ago.  Maybe it was my imagination, but it seemed to me that there are a few new creations there that I have not seen.  He also took me downstairs to the machine shop to let me gaze on a humongous black piece of HDPE.  It came straight from the mold but there were several cracks in it and also one big giant fissure.  Stupid HDPE.  That was going to be one cool giant top.  A highlight of the dinner was a series of texts to Jim Neff.  We could sense he was up to something but he would only reveal one picture of his living room.  I think that picture should be in the photo contest for next year.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 11:42:26 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2020, 09:54:50 AM »

Nice recollection Mike! Also what a cliffhanger!! heheh. I hope I get the chance and privilege one day to visit johnm and see the UC campus and labs for myself.