iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Spanish spintops from Funtrix  (Read 34611 times)

Java

Re: New Spanish spintops from Funtrix
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2013, 04:03:39 PM »

Thanks for the tip. I'm up in the NE corner of the state in Toccoa.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2013, 07:06:25 PM »

I have a funtrix. I had to put more weight in it. The aluminum tip wants to cut you all the time, so I made the same style out of steal now I enjoy the top. I would never buy another one. I would buy a 4 1/2 NIMBUS ANY DAY, if I had money.

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2013, 07:28:54 PM »

The aluminum tip wants to cut you all the time, so I made the same style out of steal

Interesting, the original tip in my Funtrix is steel.  For the record, this is the only mass produced top that I regularly play whose tip I haven't replaced with a custom made tip.

Java

« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2013, 02:52:14 PM »

I got mine in the mail last evening. So far I'm very impressed with it. I agree with the last two posts. The tip is easily the best shape I've ever seen on a factory tip. (I've never seen a Stommol8 in person) The tip is very pointy, though, and it does hurt if you don't land it softly enough. I'm toying with the idea of blunting it a bit, but I'm sure spin time in-the-hand would be compromised a bit. It is very similar in size to the Trompo Grande, but in my humble opinion the shape is not quite as elegant as the Trompo's. I'm currently going through a phase where I'm loving this size, so there will me more Trompo Grandes and Funtastix in my future.........

edited to add; I noticed there were few pictures of the top in this thread, so here's one with a Trompo Grande;

« Last Edit: December 16, 2013, 11:32:21 AM by Java »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2013, 02:30:10 AM »

the funtrix is very good top considering the price
the tip is well shaped that's true
among other things i like
the fact that the cap screws counter clock wise
the roomy space inside the top to store things
 :-X

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2013, 10:18:56 AM »

i like the fact that the cap screws counter clock wise
I wonder why the cap has a left had thread. ???

Renee

• ITSA
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2018, 03:04:52 PM »

I ordered a Eola Funtrix spin top in the short window they were available on Amazon.  $12.75 for the top with $7.50 shipping for a total of $20.25. 

The color is a sort of frosted but translucent green.  The ridges are slightly indented, but not painted like I've seen in other photos.  The center of mass appears to be near the topmost ridge.  It is 1/4" taller than a Spintastics Trompo Grande, but about the same width at 2 3/8".  The Funtrix weighed 62g, a TG 75g, and my Saturno Xtreme (which has the same profile as the Funtrix) weighs 50g and is smaller overall. 

Not really sure what I think of it, just yet.  Feels a bit top heavy and needs some balancing.  The string is longer than I usually use.  Interestingly, there is a sort of serial number on the string button.  The spindle in the middle seems kind of pointless, or pointed as the case may be.  From earlier posts, I see that this is due to a safety concern that a child might step on the sharp point if the top is standing tip up.  Kind of choosing their potential tragedy to address...  How about that super pointy tip flying through the air?!

The tip is remarkably similar to the shape of the tip on my JohnM top.  I'm assuming that it will be good for regeneration, unfortunately I'm not there yet.  I find it wants to go horizontal on crazy 8's and MGR's.  Maybe some added weight in the tip would help.

Overall, I think the Grande is a much better value.  Even if you want the diablo/c tip/players tip, the cost of changing the tip in a TG is still less than the Funtrix.

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2018, 10:58:46 AM »

Renee,
I have had my funtrix for a few years now and frankly I forgot about it.  It sits in a box somewhere.  I share your opinions on the top.  I kept saying for a while that I would cut out the center post and see how it plays.  Since the post adds mass in all the wrong places it should help quite a bit to remove it.  Now to choose...  Go to the shop to work on the funtrix or just grab my TG ... Hmm
The translucent body is pretty cool though.

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2018, 01:44:44 PM »

It's hard for me to tell, just looking at pictures, but could that center post be used to make the bottom part of the top serve as a finger spinner, without the string?  Has anybody tried this?

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2018, 02:47:34 PM »

Ok, OK, I dug through some boxes and found mine. 
I tried the finger spinner idea. One would need fingers of steel to get more than a second or three as a finger spinner.
On mine the center post is glued in.
I played it a bit.  Then I grabbed the MotoTool with a small cut-off wheel.  Now the post is only about 1/2 inch long.  The top plays much better.  Perhaps it will be a happy top that is no longer confined to the red shoe box.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2018, 03:44:08 PM »

Love the black and translucent emerald green color scheme.

The spindle in the middle seems kind of pointless, or pointed as the case may be.  From earlier posts, I see that this is due to a safety concern that a child might step on the sharp point if the top is standing tip up.

Must be missing something. How does the central spindle helps that?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2018, 03:52:31 PM »

The earlier post mentioned that there was a safety concern that if the upper part was removed and the top placed upside down then a barefoot person might step on it. In all my years in the product development world, I have never heard of a related regulation.  I must admit that I have no experience in Spanish toy design.
PS With the post it still stands point up.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up