iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Vote for best spinning top photo of the year!

Author Topic: Pack your bags - Flatland Juggling (and Top Spinning) Festival 2011  (Read 22379 times)

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
Re: Pack your bags - Flatland Juggling (and Top Spinning) Festival 2011
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »

One small correction:
This one was actually UBTF (Ultimate Battletop Championship: Flatland. I guess the way I write it out it would be more like UBCF  ;)  )

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2011, 10:57:38 AM »

Thanks for all the stories and photos--glad everyone had a great time!

Any more of those Flatland shirts available?
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2011, 12:44:55 PM »

AND I got to try a one way bearing on a giulia top that Jorge set up to be left handed. It was so fantastic that my brain nearly exploded.
That was actually an STB2 (I also had the Sophia set with the 1wb but for righties). It was great that you were there so you could throw Figaro left handed (what I have never tried) to get Rick's photo (as you did last year for runBMC).

This is an action shot (thanks Joe!) of me doing around-the-world with Figaro on the stage:

Looking at the picture, Figaro looks perilously close to escape . . .  :o This turned out to be practice for the Renegade show where I did the same after Joe's freestyle (and pointed out that my top was bigger  :P )

We had three different skittles boards to practice but Jon left early Sunday with his so the contest was just on two boards: Joe's deluxe new board and Chad's vintage Merdel's board. Here are some photos of the contest:

Yeah, I have a new aerodynamic look!  ;D

There was lots of excitement and shouting.  Alan shared the trophy bag with the rest.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 12:47:10 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2011, 01:17:30 PM »

The rules of skittles were elimination by pairs, best of three, until the last round between Mark, Rich and Alan which was one shot, best score wins.  From the table you can see that the two boards had different scoring, and Joe's had negative pins: Alicia beat Alan in one match with a minus 10 score!

ta0555545-104585
Rick207535
Joe701010105
Mark6012010140504012035
Rich040251253013555
Linda80250
Nancy2090035100
Bekah1550
Chad4535
Alan10570-20758095
Alicia10-1530-10200
Jevin-103020
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 01:19:13 PM by ta0 »

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2011, 07:47:31 PM »

Here are a few more shots you all may like :)

4 spinners in this shot can you find them all?

and more joy!!

« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 07:53:06 PM by mtntop »
Spinning In Mind

Watts' Tops

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2011, 10:03:22 PM »

Great fun reading and seeing pictures from the Flatlands Top Spinning Festival.  I really did miss out.  Keep posting.
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2011, 10:34:26 AM »

Chad showed us two neat tricks: Strangler and Saturn Rings (this one we named between several of us).  Strangler consists in a double swing of the top around the neck.  In Saturn Rings he swings the top around the neck, pops it in the air and recatches with the left hand with an inverse lasso, as Salvador does on his hummingbird trick. In fact, Chad is convinced that the trick regenerates and I am sure Salvador would love it.

Rick has a box of old The Toycrafter products, including monarchs, toss-n-spin tops and top mazes, that he is selling. I think we bought all the Little Book of Tops he had left.

Early Sunday morning we threw aerial tops: (Australian) boomerangs.  There were some experts throwers in the group (and lots and lots of boomerangs) so it was a great opportunity to practice.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2011, 01:11:13 PM »

This year's T-shirt wasn't the only one featuring a top. For example, I love this 3-D T-shirt from Flatland 2009 that I got for just $10:

If you have red-blue (anaglyph) glasses you should be able to see the 3D above. The T-shirt even comes with the required glasses (but not he ones I am using).

ChadLunders

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2011, 08:39:15 PM »

It was absolutely a great festival for top spinning!   I am so glad that so many people could make it.  Mark, Joe, Paul, Jon, Jorge, Alan, Rick - What a Lineup!  Skittles was absolutely insane!  It was definitely the surprise hit of the festival.  I hope we can continue to make this a regular thing.  It was a pleasure finally meeting you Jorge.  Thanks for taking the time to work with me on the finer points of spinning.  I took several 3-D videos of top spinning and a nice 3-D video of the Battle Top Trophy in action - Front and Back.  The inner workings of the device are both simplistic and genius. 

I checked the inventory of Shirts and found we have just a few shirts of size large featuring Mark's famous top "Chubby"!   These are 15 dollars each.  I have a few small medium and large 3-D Shirts left which come with a pair of 3-D glasses!   These are 10 dollars each.   Shipping is 2 dollars per order.   I will be at the Boulder festival so if anyone will be there I will bring some along. 

Thanks again for making the 2011 Flatland Juggling Festival a Spinning Success!

mtntop

• Gold Member
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2011, 10:11:35 PM »

Also, Joe and I will be bringing our skittles boards and tops for a tournament.
If anyone else has a board, bring it with so we can have more than 2 games going on at once.
BRING IT ON!

I just wanted to drop a note and thank Jon for planting the Skittles seed It was so much Fun and I am truely sorry that it didn't come together before he had to go. But it was such a hit I'm sure it will be a fixture at future events.

lincolnrick

• ITSA Bronze Sponsor
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2011, 10:39:52 PM »

After Chad's write-up, what can I say.  Thanks to all the spinners who made it to Lincoln this year.  Jorge it was a pleasure to meet the big dog, I wish we could have spent more time spinning.  And thanks to Mark, who spun Figaro left handed so I could be included in the gallery! 

If you didn't know the kill shot, you didn't stand a chance in Battletop.  Alans was right there every time and he rocked the death and destruction round.

What can be said about Skittles? It was amazing to see the excitment build as the top would circle a pin right before it fell.  So much fun!

We'll be in Omaha next year, so mark your calendar and pack your bags, 'cause Flatland is the place to be!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2011, 04:14:03 PM »

Welcome to the board, Chad! Finally!   ;D
You can really contribute with your original tricks, out-of-the-box mods and 3D filming capabilities.
So, don't be shy posting!

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2011, 06:00:44 PM »

Welcome Chad!

lincolnrick

• ITSA Bronze Sponsor
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »

I checked the inventory of Shirts and found we have just a few shirts of size large featuring Mark's famous top "Chubby"!   These are 15 dollars each.  I will be at the Boulder festival so if anyone will be there I will bring some along.

If you do want a shirt, besides the fantastic front graphic, there's a sleeve graphic that looks like this:
« Last Edit: May 19, 2011, 08:16:44 PM by lincolnrick »
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5   Go Up