iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Help Wanted - controlling top on the string  (Read 2676 times)

Cosa

• ITSA Jr.
Help Wanted - controlling top on the string
« on: March 09, 2011, 06:03:42 PM »

If this is one of those subjects that's been beaten to death already, please point me to the appropriate topic.  I did a search and find mentions, but haven't found the detail I'm looking for.

I understand how to control precession with the top in my hand, but how do you do that when it's hanging from the string?  In one of Neff's atelier videos, he's talking about it.  I understand it in theory, but can't figure it out in practice.

For instance, when I'm doing a Merry-Go-Round, how do I keep the top more upright so it's not laying on it's side when I want to pop it back up to my hand?

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
Re: Help Wanted - controlling top on the string
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 08:52:25 PM »

No worries, this isn't the kind of board that slams links in your face every time you ask a question that was remotely answered before :D  We love to hear ourselves type.

Correcting the top's tilt while it is on the string is the exact same as when it is in your hand.  Swing it in the same direction the tip is pointing, in a circular motion, sort of leading the tip, and it will start to stand up. 

When you have MGR nailed down, you should not have to do this at the end of the trick, well, not much anyways.  You keep the top standing up during MGR by matching the rotation with the precession... basically keep the tip pointed to the center of the circle by adjusting the speed of the circle.  Easier said than done... well it's not that easy to say either  ;D

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 08:59:59 PM »

I went looking for a video showing this action, this is the first thing that came to mind:

Look at 1:52

http://www.vimeo.com/11645011

Cosa

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 09:12:05 PM »

Thanks Chris.  I think I need to speed up the rotation on my MGRs.  They basically stand on one side of the rotation and lay down on the other...up and down... but the video helps.
I'm spending a lot of time picking this top up off the floor, but my boomerang is definitely improving!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:56:34 AM »

Sounds like you are on the right track, Cosa.  Keep up the effort.  Failure is not your enemy.  It will keep smoothing out.  Neff's video is a great tool.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!