iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: 1wb freestyle rules  (Read 23964 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: 1wb freestyle rules
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2011, 09:57:20 PM »

I have been thinking about this and, coming from a track and field angle, new events have happened on several occasions especially on the women's side.  What they usually do is have a couple years where the new event is done in exhibition status.  This introduces the event and allows the entire world to spend some time getting to know it and have some athletes try it.  If all goes well, then the event eventually becomes a regular one at world championships.  I remember this happening with the women's pole vault, triple jump and steeplechase.

Seems to me that we might have a special opportunity with the one way bearing.  A "throwdown/exhibition" might be fun to get people on stage and to allow some to experiment with the 1wb.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2011, 01:41:08 AM »

just brainstorming... two parts to the contest: 
1) 3-round battle, 1 throw per round, the three rounds being; bearing, 1wb, and fixed.  Players encouraged to share equipment for the 1wb.
2) 3 min. freestyles... FREEstyles, any style, any top.

I really, really, don't like the idea of 3 divisions, the same 4-8 guys on stage, many of them struggling in one style or the other.  I'd rather see better stage time than more stage time.  Also, I don't want to work on 3 freestyles  :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2011, 04:13:04 AM »

Well, I hear you there Neff.  I guess I didn't think about having to prepare three freestyles!!!

I suppose I was dreaming of something relaxed and fun with the 1wb........not that the freestyles aren't fun but..........

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2011, 11:40:52 AM »

Personally, I think that anywhere we put limits we are doing a disservice to the top spinning competition. I'm not suggesting that we go overboard with tons of different divisions and competitions. I just think that our ultimate goal should be to get the most people possible to participate in one competition. Personally I like the two divisions, bearing and fixed. But that might not make for the most competitive contest. Maybe we should consider going to just one 3 minute freestyle. If we have a high number of competitors (which would be a good thing), then we can start with one minute freestyles, and the top eight move to the championship round.

As far as the sports ladder is concerned, I think that anyone who wants to compete in the ladder should be able. I know that in the past if you freestyled then you couldn't compete in the ladder. Since the ladder happens after freestyles, maybe we could say that the only people ineligible for the ladder are the top eight in the freestyle contest.
That way if people are not sure about freestyling, they can try a one minute freestyle, and if they don't perform well they can still compete in the ladder.

If we do stick with two divisions, I think that 1wb should be limited to the bearing division. I think that using them in the fixed division defeats the purpose as part of the level of skill in the fixed division is being able to keep regenerating a top. Just my two cents.

It is kind of exciting though to see everyone talking about different possibilities. Top Spinning has come a long way since I started 4 years ago.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2011, 02:54:14 PM »

Daveid - please speak.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2011, 04:02:14 PM »

just brainstorming... two parts to the contest:
1) 3-round battle, 1 throw per round, the three rounds being; bearing, 1wb, and fixed.  Players encouraged to share equipment for the 1wb.
2) 3 min. freestyles... FREEstyles, any style, any top.
That is an intriguing possibility. What does the rest think about having a mixed format, either with one title or with different titles?

It seems Neff feels strongly about having just one title. But I don't know, it seems to me more chances to win a title attract more players (and that is the main objective).

Regarding Sport, I think in yo-yo at one time they let the freestylers also compete. I know in diabolo they let them. What about an Open Sport medal, in addition to the age brackets medals, where the freestylers can also compete? Normal Sport contestants can win both their age bracket and the open division but freestylers can only compete in the later one? We generally have few players in the ladder and it would not be any chore for the judges.

I am all for increasing the number of spintop activities at Worlds. I think some 1wb contest will happen, either on or off the stage.

Daveid - please speak.
Yes, I would like to hear more opinions.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 04:05:23 PM by ta0 »

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 09:16:07 PM »

I'm for multiple titles with an overall title, I'm just resisting the idea of 3 divisions of freestyles of the same 4-8 people.  The round-robin format, or battle format, whatever ya call what was at EYYC, could be used to cover the three top types, and to involve the folks that aren't ready for a full three minutes on stage.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 10:39:13 PM »

I also think 3 freestyles would be too much. If 1wb became very popular it could replace bearing.

I really want to hear from more players. By the way, Alan asked me to organize Worlds as he may not come (something to do with the hassle of flying and the TSA).

In related news, Zeemo sent me a link to a video/article about EYYC 2011. Jan Kordovsky, one of the organizers says:
We would like the championship to tour throughout Europe. We hope that some of the European associations have the ability to organize a European Championship too. And we would like to make the 2013 World Cup.
Worlds 2013 in Prague? That would be great! I think Greg will have to admit they have done a great job organizing contests. I would do everything possible to come. Maybe even come out of retirement  ;)
And I would also love to see EYYC 2012 in Italy . . .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2011, 12:00:48 AM by ta0 »

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 01:29:09 PM »

I do appreciate Jorge organizing Worlds. It has been very nice that we can all just cover for each other and be flexible enough for changes.
This community is still very small, but definitely growing.
We did split into two divisions in an attempt to get more people to freestyle as it was felt that you could potentially score higher with a fixed tip because of regenerations. The scores have confirmed higher points for the fixed tip freestyles. We felt the 1wb should be in the fixed tip division because you could regenerate with it and score more points.
I would like to see the encouragement of new top style of play rather than limiting the use of a particular type of top.

We have been evolving the rules to suit the players and encourage more participation.
Does anyone who plans to compete at Worlds mind if there is only one division and you can use whatever top / combination of tops you want?

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 01:50:25 PM »

I don't mind just having one division, anything goes.

Darren Kim

• Gold Member
    • This Blog is Crucial
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2011, 11:10:19 AM »

I don't know if I like the one freestyle division, because there are many talented players in both. I feel like everybody should have the option to use a 1 way bearing top like ta0 said
Spin top is the new yo-yo

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2011, 11:24:49 PM »

Daveid - please speak.
i was avoiding this thread, i am not currently interested in this subject, this feels like paperwork, this feels like paying bills, this feels like dealing with a car accident, with the insurance and calling the insurance and signing papers and too much reading and thinking... ick.

If we do stick with two divisions, I think that 1wb should be limited to the bearing division. I think that using them in the fixed division defeats the purpose as part of the level of skill in the fixed division is being able to keep regenerating a top. Just my two cents.

i did agree with the thought about 1wb being only in bearing, since you have to say the word "bearing" to say "one-way-bearing" and the object is very much not "fixed tip," it just seems obvious that it wouldn't be allowed in fixed tip competition, and i really didn't understand the argument until i got to alan's post, and then i thought "oh yeah if it's in bearing play then that's unfair if others don't have one" right now i'm really sort of confused as to how it was allowed at all the year that only a prototype was availlable (actually i'm pretty sure i remember someone saying something about it being allowed to promote the idea/possibility of a 1wb top or something)...
it'd make more sense to me if you just renamed the divisions, and had them based on trick type as opposed to top type.... 1a is string tricks, and 2a is regenerations... don't do wirewalker in 2a, do it in 1a with a fixed tip top (in yoyos are people allowed to do 3a tricks in 1a?)... i really think if you're going to have two divisions that's how they should be split... but still, even in that thought, a 1wb would seem like cheating to do regenerations with... maybe fixed tip regens should just get more points than 1wb regens.
seriously, if two people pull off the exact same regen freestyle move by move, step by step, if one of them used a fixed tip and one of them used a 1wb, then why would you ever give them the same score? don't tell me it's not obvious that one is more impressive than the other.

with yoyos in 1a would the players be allowed to use an imperial shaped yoyo? or is it restricted to butterfly shape in the rules? (i'm seriously asking i don't know answer).

one division makes more sense to me, but i totally understand the arguments about the allure that two divisions brings...

crap it's past my bedtime so i'm done rereading this and editing wording that doesn't make sense...
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2011, 08:22:01 AM »

Thanks daveid for taking the time to give your feedback. I would also rather play than write rules, but it has to be done.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2011, 11:41:28 AM »

with yoyos in 1a would the players be allowed to use an imperial shaped yoyo? or is it restricted to butterfly shape in the rules? (i'm seriously asking i don't know answer).

There are no restrictions on what yo-yos can be used in any of the 5 divisions.  There can be a fixed axle division but it is not a National or World Championship.  And you can do 3A tricks in 1A but only one yo-yo scores, loop-the-loop only scores in 2A, counterweight tricks only score if the counterweight is not held.  When bearings became acceptable in yo-yo contests it became obvious that the style of play should be the only restriction.  It is after all a FREEstlye.
Practice hard and play safe.

Dizzy

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2011, 10:44:45 PM »

If 1wb became very popular it could replace bearing.

This is a very good point.  Is there anything that a standard bearing top can do that a 1wb can't? 

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up