iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Chinese Whip tops still available  (Read 25758 times)

whiptop

Re: Chinese Whip tops still available
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 08:22:03 PM »

Nice video Chris!  It took me at least half an hour to download over my current dialup connection, and then I only saw half.  :(  Thankfully I enjoy a better connection when I head to town.  :)  Any images or videos of your whip tops?  Or any of Rob Tsou's?  The PVC idea sounds interesting. 

I get the impression from the Alibaba retailer (whom I am still waiting to hear back from) that they are marketed as fitness or exercise equipment.  And I get that.  The swinging of the whip that has to hit a large and heavy top, it makes sense.  The larger tops, on the order of several pounds, are the interesting ones, with or without a slit in the side to create a humming noise. 

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 09:14:53 PM »

This was the first go-round.  Made from hickory and cane from my yard.

The second attempt (first PVC attempt) now rests at the Spin Top Hall of Fame  :)

This is the latest model:
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 09:17:10 PM by Neff »

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 09:24:41 PM »

Thanks for posting the whipping top videos.  Chris how about a picture of the tops in action.
 ;)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 11:46:33 PM »

Neff's prototype of a whip top sits in the cool air of the winter Hall of Fame.....but I am sure the place would heat up quickly it if were in use!

Thanks again for the Hall of Fame donation, Neffster.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

whiptop

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 05:10:41 AM »

Those tops look great Chris.  I'd like to see them in action as well.  Perhaps Alan Gray could also turn some and put a nice metal tip on them.  (I haven't asked, but if he's reading this, his website does say “send us specifications for your own custom design”.)   
I'm holding out for the Alibaba retailer still, but I'm also thinking of turning in some favors, taking out an IOU, and contacting a friend of a friend of a friend who is fluent in Chinese to help get the ball rolling (er, the top spinning). 

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 01:15:04 PM »

These both have steel nails for tips.  My basement isn't quite big enough for whip tops, and the concrete on my driveway is a little rough.  I'll need to take it to juggling club next month...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 07:17:26 PM by Neff »

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 03:14:31 PM »

I am planning to be at Toy Fair the week after next (14, 15, & 16 Feb) and one of the vendors is:    Alibaba.com
Booth/Room # 5083 Map It
Mr. David Wang
3979 Freedom Circle  Suite 328
Santa Clara,  CA  95054
United States
Phone: 408-748-1200
Email: davidwang@alibaba-inc.com
URL www.alibaba.com

Is there anything I can do for you there with them?
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 04:50:27 PM »

I believe Alibaba.com is just a (business-to-business) marketplace. The seller of the top is just advertising in Alibaba.

One day I would like to be at the New York Toy Fair. It sounds like the place for me  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 05:19:53 PM »

Me too.  I would love the New York Toy Fair!

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 09:55:41 PM »

New York Toy Fair is very easy describe:  SENSORY OVERLOAD!!!!!!!!!!! 
I can only do 3 or 4 rows of booths and then I must take a break.
Really good SWAG.  It is a lot of fun.  Even better when you are working not walking the show.

whiptop

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2011, 02:56:45 AM »

If you had the choice between 5.8, 7.5, 9, and 11cm metal whip tops, which would you buy? 

I've found another way to get quality Chinese whip tops, and it's probably better too.  The Chinese version of ebay is taobao.com and there are agents with good reputations online who can assist English speaking customers find the products they want.  They are also experienced with international shipping and delivery, which can otherwise be more costly. 
http://taobaofieldguide.com/taobao-guides/taobao-agents

Anyway, long story short, I found this beautiful 11cm diameter stainless steel whip top that looks like some kind of artillery weapon on taobao and will write to an agent to see what it will cost me after their services and shipping is factored in.  (If this works out, I'll also order the recommended whip to use with it.) 

See the top here:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=7289057645
Which is an item sold from this seller:
http://shop35931881.taobao.com/

The website says that this is a video of how to throw the top:
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/-jQihJ09D2Q/
And how to replace the tip bearings (which they also sell):
http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/BsElVlnH9n0/
I wonder, are all their metal tops bearing tipped? 

Here are the recommended whips to use with the 11cm top, first the nicer one:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4452074661
And the cheaper "ash wood" whip:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=4126388733
(I think this one actually comes with the top for free when you buy, nice.)

If anyone decides to try going this route to buy a whip top, share your experience.  I'll be sure to let you know how this goes for me.  Oh, the 11cm top, without shipping or any other fees included, at today's conversion rates is about 42 US dollars. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2011, 12:47:26 PM »

Excellent job tracking down these whip tops, Mr. Whiptop!

The tops in those two videos seem to be of the 7.5 cm size. 

Using bablefish translator on that 11 cm top I get that the top is made of pure 304 stainless steel and weighs 3 kilograms (6.6 lb)! The upper plate is 4 mm thick! That is a massive top!

For $8 more I would definitely also order the whip.

I am really surprised that they use bearings. A fixed tip would make the top correct itself and stand up while a bearing will not. On the other hand, a fixed tip top will travel in circles while the bearing one stays in place and that would be an advantage.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2011, 02:20:07 PM »

thanx for the search , mr whiptop !
count me in for the 11cm

and on this video, it's a killer whip :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e_qzeJRvFs&feature=player_embedded#

i like the "whipping" movement like bull whips
pretty scary too !!

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

whiptop

« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2011, 03:42:39 PM »

Whereas the retailer selling on alibaba advertised discounted prices when ordering bulk quantities of tops, I see no such discounts from the taobao seller.  Unless there is an appreciable savings by ordering bulk, it may be simpler to individually purchase any orders we'd like to place.  Thoughts?

Haowanju appears to me to be one of the best retailers on taobao for whip tops, but I haven't done a thorough search to confirm this.  I think that would be best done by pasting ??? (Chinese for whip top) into the search box on the main page for taobao.  This returns about 269 results in the "toy" category, 145 in "educational toys" and 165 results in the "sports/fitness" category, with a few other minor categories also returning results.  Going through these results should help find any other possibly interesting items, as would visiting haowanju's main website. 

The purchasing agent I contacted was very prompt in replying to my email.  I got a reply in about three hours.  I was informed that online business is temporarily slow during the Chinese lunar holiday until 8 Febrary, and some taobao retailers have reduced hours during this time. 

There are several interesting videos linked to in the product descriptions for the whip tops, but my dial up connection is preventing me from viewing most of these right now. :(

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »

Nice find on the video Jim.......Whips and Chains, is the web board venturing into new, scarier territory?   :o

;D ;D ;D
To everything turn, turn, turn..................