iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Greetings!  (Read 3748 times)

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
Greetings!
« on: January 27, 2011, 07:28:54 PM »

Howdy all! Thought I’d write up a little intro as a way of saying hello. I just this week took the plunge and joined the forum after being inspired by the most recent S8 video to learn more about tops. I'm a relative beginning at tops, though not to skilltoys - I’ve been yo-yoing since the late 1990s, run a skill toy club in San Diego – hit me up if you’re in SoCal and are interested  :) - and serve as a moderator on a couple of yoyo forums. I also do yoyo modifications on a metal lathe and turn delrin yoyos, such as these:

Please don’t take this as advertising, just sharing some pics of one of the things I love to do. Plus, I don’t sell the yoyos I make – I just gift them or trade for other nifty stuff. I’ve seen some of the hand-turned tops some of the guys on this forum are doing and it’s really stellar stuff! I’ve lurked on this forum for a while, since a few of the SD yoyoers and I purchased tops at a yoyo contest last year, but none of us has spent much time learning as yet. But I’ve caught spintop fever and am super excited about diving in. From all that I’ve gathered from reading through threads, you guys seem like a great, supportive crowd. Looking forward to participating, learning, and getting to know some of you.
J-Rod
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 07:33:53 PM by jrodriguez »
Fearless leader of the Finger Lakes Yoyo Club - PM me for info!
JRod's Yoyo Mods - https://www.flickr.com/photos/jrodsyoyomods/

kevinm

Re: Greetings!
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

you have a lathe, you get to move to the front of the line.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 07:53:22 PM »

Nice yo-yos.  And you have a lathe?  Like yocephus says........go to the head of the class!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 09:33:31 PM »

Again, welcome to the board! That was a great way of presenting yourself.

I think modding spintops you have less constrains than with yoyos (e.g., not many 10" yoyos out there) so if you want to pursue that side the possibilities are endless.

DXL has a tradition of great spintop players, like Felix (feefee) and several others.

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 10:38:31 PM »

Thanks for the welcome! I set aside a couple of hours this evening to try to figure out a few tricks. I've been able to hit trapeze a few times and merry go round pretty consistently once I realized that the players in the videos I watched weren't wrapping the string entirely around the point  :). Boy has this been a fun evening! I imagine I'll try my hand at making a top in the future. Those pool ball tops some of the forum members have done look incredibly cool.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2011, 12:00:04 AM »

Welcome J!  Nice jo-jo's ya got there  ;D

Eric

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • Eric's Photo Website
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »

not many 10" yoyos out there

I actually have a few yo-yos that are larger than 10".....the strings (rope) are so long that you need to throw them from a balcony.  ;D
To everything turn, turn, turn..................

Free

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 10:47:57 AM »

Welcome to the forum J, I've only been here a short while myself but it is a great community. Your yoyo's look great! I love all my delrin yoyo's....and my delrin spintop

jrodriguez

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 01:02:51 PM »

Eric, I'm a big fan of your work. This is one of the centerpieces of my yoyo collection:

Free, Thanks for the compliment!

Jeromy K.

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »

Hello Jrodriguez, I am ape7566 of of the Nation welcome to the form.