iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Strummol8 cap tip  (Read 3411 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Strummol8 cap tip
« on: January 08, 2011, 02:59:56 PM »

I got the cap with the tip for the Giulia and I can say it is VERY nice. 
It is a great improvement compared to the YYJ double tip tops as those had the abrupt shelf in the body below the tip while this one has a slanted surface section that, while still small, greatly facilitates hitting the tip (Eric's design).
The edge of the cap has a lip so it nicely snaps into the Giulia body and stays in place securely . . . until you drop it. But drops will partially unseat the cap and you have to press it back in.
As always from Strummol8, the look and the quality are fantastic. Mine has a 5 point star dyed, as it is the video prize  :)

Spinning, flash photo:

Spinning, no flash:

What it is kind of a mystery is the optional-use shaft to connect the two tips. It screws to the tip and goes over the nut on the lower tip. It is not needed to secure the cap for play and does not prevent the cap from coming out on a hard hit, but it does seem to help it stay in on not-too-hard drops. Obviously, if the tips are set to fixed, it does not add anything (and you probably need a shorter nut on one of the tips to account for the thickness of the washers). If the tips are set to bearing it will make them spin (or stop) at the same time. I cannot think what would be the advantage of that. The only use I can think right now is that if I have the top set (without the shaft) with the lower tip fixed and the upper tip bearing (a very useful configuration), I can quickly change it to both fixed (for double tip regens) by adding the shaft.

Anyway, the shaft may come handy one day for a mod. And it is a great accessory for collectors  ;D

I think this S8 cap-tip will finally promote the creation of new two-tip tricks.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 04:20:10 PM by ta0 »

topper777

Re: Strummol8 cap tip
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2011, 04:06:36 PM »

i noticed the double tip was popping out and i had to keep snapping it back in. when i put the metal shaft in the problem was gone. i have already made up one trick and will be posting it in a few days. thanks to maurizio for the donation of the double tips and thanks to neff for sending them out so promptly!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 04:56:56 PM »

Thanks for the detailed review Ta0
We anxiously await your new trick topper777

I haven't tried this, but some 1/2" electrical tape should keep the cap secure.
The assembly add quite a lot of weight to the top, and you have to throw it with the tip pointing away from you pretty much horizontal or use a much longer string.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »

Just received mine, thanks Neff
I really like this double tip, it fits perfectly and the possibilities are endless now