iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Top points needed plastic or metal in bulk  (Read 5332 times)

jamesyeiser

Top points needed plastic or metal in bulk
« on: December 23, 2010, 08:55:45 AM »

We are trying to organize a top turning lathe and workshop in Palomas, Mexico for some of the kids down there......they've been through hell with the drug gangs and our group has been down there 3 years trying to help.
We need a supplier of points in bulk - probably on the order of 100-500 at a time.
Anyone have any ideas ?
James Yeiser
Project Coordinator
www.borderpartners.org

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Top points needed plastic or metal in bulk
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »

Salvador Martinez (Aracnoctambulo on this board) from Mexico City has over 1000 steel tips he can sell you.

Welcome to the board, James!

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2010, 09:53:23 AM »

Depending on the style of tops you intend to make, pop rivets are a great choice.  They are available in both aluminum and steel, not very expensive, and available at good hardware stores or even Amazon.com.

Here are two styles that Spinningray makes with pop rivet tips for battletop competitions.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 10:25:47 AM »

Are Salvador's points for Spintatsic's Trompo Grande?  They don't have much of a shelf for wood tops.
Cuper has a a 5 gallon bucket full of metal points... at least he did, they don't have much of a shelf either, but perhaps the manufacturer he used would be able to assist?
Walter Watts has a bunch of plastic Duncan Imperial points.
Maybe Cometa or a similar company would be able to assist?

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

Hi, it is a great job what you are doing, the Trompos will certainly will bring a smile to the kids. If you are going to make traditional wood tops just use a nail, that is how it has always being, you can see this artisan here making a traditional wood top and using a nail as a tip (Min 3:14).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKJppwSvRtc&feature=player_embedded
« Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 11:55:12 AM by MatiasStuntMan »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2010, 12:10:28 PM »

My recommendation is that if the tops are just for playing battles on the ground go with the nails or the pop rivets. If the kids want to learn tricks or they are going to make really fancy tops for sale to tourists, go with Salvador's tips. However, the tops cannot be too small, those tips will work from medium size tops to quite large ones.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2010, 12:14:56 PM »

Yes, welcome jamesyeister.  The story of the children in your area is heartbreaking.  But your efforts to help are totally heartwarming!!!  Thanks for all you are doing.

Oh, and I'll bet you never expected all this information so quickly.  You are in the right place to ask questions and get the absolute best help from wonderful people.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Watts' Tops

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
    • www.wattstops.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2010, 12:55:21 PM »

I do have about a quart of Duncan plastic tips.  However I am not home and will not be there for several months (weather related).  I would be happy to help out in the project at the cost of shipping when I get back Home.
 :)
Watts' Tops
Prov. 3:5-6

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 01:03:16 PM »

+1 for pop rivets or nails.  I've also had good luck with 1/4" steel rod stock.  Easy to cut with a hack saw and can be sharpened or rounded on the lathe, if desired, but not necessary.

Welcome James!
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2010, 03:59:29 PM »

Terrible article in USA Today newspaper about what Jamesyeister is facing.  "TOWN'S SOLO POLICE OFFICER MISSING"  Woman, 28, was Guadalupe's last line of defense - The last remaining police officer in the Mexican border town of Guadalupe has disappeared, and prosecutors in northern Chihuahua state said Tuesday that they have started a search for her.  Officer Erika Gandara, 28, held out in the face of desertions and resignations that left her as the only officer in the Juarez Valley town, which was served by eight police officers a year ago.........

In the neighboring town of Praxedis G. Guerrero, a 20 year old woman was sworn in as police cheif in October.  The man who had previously held that office was gunned down in July 2009.  The town was without a chief for more than a year.

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2010, 04:20:37 PM »

Pop rivets do make turning the tops fairly easy depending upon what lathe setup you have. They are also fairly strong.
Good luck with the project and let me know if you have any questions about top turning.