iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: Siren King instructions sheet  (Read 3160 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Siren King instructions sheet
« on: November 12, 2010, 11:02:03 PM »

At one time the Muffets cereal company ("The Round Shredded Wheat") gave Siren Kings as mail prizes.

I finally got the instructions sheet that came with it. It does not describe the spinner: "As this book is intended to give you tips on professional and exhibition top spinning, we will not take the time or space to explain how to spin a top. You are probably well acquainted with the simple act of top spinning a top anyhow . . ."

One of the tricks it describes is Gapping, a name that we also encountered in the Life article from 1945. This is the description of the trick:
. . .
5. Gapping a top. Catch the top spinning in your palm and start as though you were going to loop forward, but instead of catching the top on your hand you catch in on the string. Gapping can also be started by dropping the top in front of you.  When top reaches the end of the string, give it a quick jerk, catching it spinning on the string.

6. Gapping a top behind you
Drop the top to our right side and catch it spinning on the string with your hands behind your back.
. . .

So, I would say gapping is trapeze.

The description of "looping" is that of a roller coaster to hand, except that it describes both forward and backward looping, i.e. dropping the top to both sides of the hand. But it does not mention regeneration.

A lot of the 13 "Professional Top Spinning" tricks in the sheet involve a tin can, for example fastened to the back of the hand  :D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Siren King instructions sheet
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 04:04:17 AM »

A tin can on the back of the hand!  What?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 05:11:30 AM »

A tin can on the back of the hand!
???

to get a sip after a hard day of throwing ..
Miller rhymes with Spinner ;D ;D ;D ;D

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 09:29:18 AM »

For trick #8 you need a tin coffee can, about 2.5 inches in diameter, fastened to the back of each hand! You pass the top spinning between both cans.
Trick #9 is the same but you use two tops!  :o

I wish there was a vintage video of this.  Perhaps somebody would record it for the S8 video contest?  ;)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »

I wonder if Gapping = Yapping?
Erratic Wobbler

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 10:12:51 AM »

I wonder if Gapping = Yapping?
If you look at the Life article from 1945 , the first caption mentions gapping: "Carl Bergstrom whips a spinning top through the air into his hand. The process is called gapping . . ." That would seem to be describing a boomerang. However the second picture shows the three players doing the "maneuver called Come to Daddy." That sounds more a name for boomerang to me.

The caption on the 4th picture describes yapping: "Yapping is the next step. When top returns it is caught in string, allowed to fall again. String loops itself about about the spear (tip) as top spins. It is then jerked again."

I think the first description of gapping is wrong. My best guess is that gapping is catching the top on a trapeze mount (the gap between the hands) and yapping is the regen process, something between roller coaster and drumbeat.