iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Major League Dreidel 2010  (Read 5368 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Major League Dreidel 2010
« on: October 29, 2010, 09:33:25 PM »

The Major League Dreidel site is announcing several tournaments for this season in Denver, Miami, Tampa and, of course, New York. It seems this is growing: it used to be just a bar in NYC doing it. For this year they announce: "Introducing . . . TARGET TOPS, MLD's newest dreidel game, a combination of curling, shuffleboard and beer pong." ??? Also the "Spinagogue" is now sold in the Bed, Bath & Beyond chain. Wow!

She was the winner in 2007, with a world record of almost 18 seconds, but I imagine it is becoming more competitive:

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Major League Dreidel 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 04:11:07 AM »

Sold at Bed, Bath and Beyond?  Wow!

They gave away a nice trophy last year.  Of course, it is nothing like the Mark Hayward trophies but still...

And she sure seems happy about her win.  She takes a good picture!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Spinningray

• ITSA Jr.
    • Woodtops
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 01:46:56 PM »

I think that Heidi takes a much better picture.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2013, 09:26:02 AM »

I checked their website.  There is no mention yet of a MLD tournament for 2013.  I believe there was none last year, perhaps due to hurricane Sandy hitting New York.  But as I don't see the "spinagogue" (what a name!) arena for sale it may have been discontinued.  But they do announce a Target Tops contest on November 25 in a bar in Brooklyn, NY.  It would be funny if somebody showed up with a peg top  :D

What is still available for sale is the No Limit Texas Dreidel game, a mix of poker and dreidel roulette.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2013, 10:02:12 AM »

super nice ! dreidels are still hot !
 it reminds me of these friends in the jewish community of NYC
back in the late 70ties : they kept playing this funny tune in the car "walk on the kocher side" and now it's on the net !!
link :; Gefilte Joe & The Fish - Walk On The Kosher Side

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 10:42:51 PM »

now why cant i find a nice jewish girl like that lol. i wonder why they dont have anything like that here in toronto  ??? we have one of the largest if not the largest jewish community in canada here eh. plan on making some this week for the neices n nephew, chanuka is either this week or next i cant remember, maybe make a jumbo sized one for myself who knows  ;)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 02:23:20 PM »

I want to gather around and talk tops again.  Soon!  I do not want to wait until next August.  There has got to be some way we can set up a fun dreidel tournament/competition/show before Christmas.  I want to start talking about this now so we can invite anyone on the board who wants to come.  It seems like we should be able to get 15-20 people from Miamisburg together and have a fun spinning day before Hanukkah!!!

Looks like one of my first challenges is to remember how to spell Hannukah/Hanukkah/Hannukkah!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:26:15 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2014, 03:30:30 PM »

I want to gather around and talk tops again.  Soon!  I do not want to wait until next August.  There has got to be some way we can set up a fun dreidel tournament/competition/show before Christmas.  I want to start talking about this now so we can invite anyone on the board who wants to come.  It seems like we should be able to get 15-20 people from Miamisburg together and have a fun spinning day before Hanukkah!!!

Looks like one of my first challenges is to remember how to spell Hannukah/Hanukkah/Hannukkah!
Ha! People are still driving home from the Whirled Festival of Tops, we have not yet seen a single photograph of the festival, and you are already missing the players and want to organize the next event in Miamisburg!   ;D 
If you do, I suggest the World Rascal Contest: sounds more fun than dreidels (unless you want to do it for ecumenical reasons).  ;)
But you know, there is this little top meeting coming up in October: US Nationals!!! I was going to wait a week before bringing it up, but as you are so eager to be among spintop players again, I will suggest that you should consider it (there are always many festivals around Chico for Dawn to enjoy).

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2014, 04:51:33 PM »

World Rascal Contest?!?  Sounds like fun.  Maybe that could be an event in the spring?

The Hanukkah thing is already rolling and it might be easier to jump on that bandwagon.  After all, they even have their own song about that little dreidel made out of clay.  And, yes, maybe we could connect with some others on an ecumenical level!

Looking at the calendar, the city of Miamisburg will again have a holiday festival on the second Saturday in December.  There will be a parade that morning of the 13th and it starts at 11:30.  When that is done and we head back to the church, we usually hang out with some of our other people who are having a bazaar of gently used Christmas items.  I walk around and chat with others and sometimes play the piano for background music.  It seems like it might not be too difficult to talk the parade people into staying for a bit and joining in on a dreidel day.  If I could get a few other families to join in we would have a bigger gathering and might attract some people walking by the building.  Just some initial thoughts.  I will ask others in the parish and discuss some of these thoughts with our church council.

Does anyone have any good experience with specific kinds of dreidels?  I have only thrown some cheap plastic ones I got at a toy store.  I know Don Olney used to sell some nice wood ones.  Any thoughts or ideas?

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:35:40 PM »

You could always go to Missouri and see Chris Neff and maybe attend the Kansas City Juggling Festival.
September 12,13, 14. 2014.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 07:31:58 PM »

Thanks Shootist.  I would love to go to the KC Juggling fest.  Yet, there always seems to be something that gets in my way.  This year that is the same weekend as the celebration of the 150th anniversary of our civil war sanctuary!  Rats.  Maybe next year?

That is why I am trying to think ahead and get something rolling before other things get in the way.  To tell you the truth, I would love to go somewhere else and enjoy someone else's work and organization skills so I can look around and enjoy more of the action.  I missed so much this past weekend at the Burg fest because I was setting things up or worrying about one thing or another.  Maybe someday I can just load up my car with fun stuff and go to another organized event.....kind of like JNeff, but on a much smaller scale!

We already have our Miamisburg Holiday Festival set up with the city and our church has a bazaar that ties in with that.  I think it is a win win as far as having some people around and having something already going to connect with.  It is also just a few days before Hanaukkah so the timing should be perfect for dreidel action.  Interestingly enough, I have called a dozen places around here and no one seems to have any dreidels........except a gift shop at a synagogue in Kettering (about 10 miles away).  You have to make an appointment to visit the shop and I am all set up for 1pm tomorrow.  Maybe this will be the beginning of a Major League Dreidel day, or a Minor League Dreidel day, or a Dreidel spin off day or something like that?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 07:34:13 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2014, 05:34:02 PM »

I hit the jackpot on dreidel items.  A dreidel stuffed toy, dreidel crayons, a kinetic magnet with dozens of flat little metal dreidels that can be stacked, a clear plastic dreidel that can hold pieces of candy, dreidel instructions, a dreidel making kit with a mold and paint and (of course) they had a few dreidels to sell also.  Sadly, the dreidels are pretty small and do not spin very long (10-13 seconds) but it is a start.  I can practice and see what kind of games are possible with them.

Many thanks to Temple Beth Or in Kettering, Ohio.  They said to be sure to come back in late November and early December when they have MORE dreidel items available.  They also have a festival in December.  I will do my best to get back there!!! 

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2014, 06:05:49 PM »

I hit the jackpot on dreidel items.  A dreidel stuffed toy, dreidel crayons, a kinetic magnet with dozens of flat little metal dreidels that can be stacked, a clear plastic dreidel that can hold pieces of candy, dreidel instructions, a dreidel making kit with a mold and paint and (of course) they had a few dreidels to sell also.  Sadly, the dreidels are pretty small and do not spin very long (10-13 seconds) but it is a start.  I can practice and see what kind of games are possible with them.

Many thanks to Temple Beth Or in Kettering, Ohio.  They said to be sure to come back in late November and early December when they have MORE dreidel items available.  They also have a festival in December.  I will do my best to get back there!!!

good grief u hit the jackpot! if ur after a longer spinning dreidel u might try a "judaica" store which might have a high end metal driedel, ive seen them before in some jewish book stores, not sure what price range ur looking at though it was awhile ago since the last time i saw a good one  :-\

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2014, 07:19:56 PM »

Mike you might ask Don if he has some available, The Toy crafter dreidels spin pretty well.