iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New tops?  (Read 7084 times)

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
Re: New tops?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2009, 01:34:56 PM »

Potop

Looks like you and I answered the question pretty much in the same way at the same time. (-:

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2009, 01:55:40 PM »

Good answer;)

I'm thrilled that yo-yo companies, (or spin toy companies :)) are taking an interest in tops.  The amazing progress in yo-yo design and manufacture bodes well for us top spinners. 
Erratic Wobbler

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »

Good answer;)

I'm thrilled that yo-yo companies, (or spin toy companies :)) are taking an interest in tops.  The amazing progress in yo-yo design and manufacture bodes well for us top spinners.

What the hobby needs is more publicity.  I showed a top to a couple of my teenaged neighbors and they said that they had never seen one before!  That doesn't surprise me as I never saw an ad for a top on TV when I was a kid, but there were plenty of Yo-Yo ads with some very adept players to entice the kids with tricks.  I don't know how well tops caught on in later years, but I don't recall ever seeing a top spinning "pro", while even comedians used Yo-Yos as a prop.  Remember Tommy Smothers doing his Yo-Yo man routine?  There are no tops on display in Toys-R-Us or in any other store that I've seen.  So how can kids learn about them.  When I was a kid they were part of kid culture, like pea shooters, sling shots, Spaldeens, and water pistols.  They didn't need advertising as they were readily available, everyone knew what they were, and every kid *needed* one.  It seems that now they need to be re-introduced to the kids through TV advertising or at least a few decent tops need to appear on an endcap at Walmart or TRU.

Ed

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2009, 05:50:20 PM »

It seems like the traveling "yo-yo men" did wonders to promote the toys back in the day.  Many of them also played and promoted spin tops.  Anything that raises the profile of top spinning is likely good for tops and top players alike.  I believe the production of new tops has been and will continue to be a good way to get them noticed.  Inclusion of top spinning events at yo-yo competitions has long been a good way to reach a large audience of would be spinners.  The great you tube videos are probably our best contemporary avenue of expanded popularity. 

I think we have to do our part to teach and show off tops to the uninitiated.  I've had similar experiences; many folks have never seen a spin top let alone trick play.

I'd say 2009 has been a good year for tops, perhaps 2010 will be even better.

RunBMC

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2009, 06:33:12 PM »

are all of those trowbacks, acrobats,top dogs metal? i guess that would make since that thier so expensive. :D
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

gunhawk7

• Newsletter26
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2009, 07:34:45 PM »

Poptop

I agree that those YouTube videos are great!  Especially those that show schoolyards full of kids all having a great time.  I've seen replies to those vids asking where to get a top.  TV advertising has to be the best way to get the word out though.  I've seen endcap displays at TRU with several different Duncan Yo-Yos running from about 4 bucks up to about 8 or 10 bucks, which means that they are an affordable impulse item even if kids aren't specifically looking for one.  They are out in the open and well displayed at my local TRU.  I would think that a "Rip Cord" or two in that section would be appropriate and might help Duncan sales.

Are Yo-Yos still advertised on television?