iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Strobotop  (Read 5258 times)

Zeemo

• Gold Member
  • Zeemo The Magnificent
    • Zeemo Production
New Strobotop
« on: October 02, 2010, 08:00:18 AM »

Some time ago Don Olney (Silvertop) posted an animated link regarding the Benham's Wheel Illusion.
http://www.michaelbach.de/ot/col_benham/index.html

Here is a new product that uses a whirl-a-gig design but with interchangeable designs and an adjustable strobe light.  You can also customize blank discs with your own designs.
Article and Video here -
http://www.walyou.com/blog/2010/10/02/the-strobotop-toy-is-sure-to-catch-your-eye/

Read about the history and theory here -
http://www.eyethinkinc.com/strobotop.html

To Order one online follow this link -
http://www.eyethinkinc.com/store/toys.html

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: New Strobotop
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 08:43:02 AM »

Very neat!  Thanks Zeemo for the great link!  I've forwarded this to our physics lecture demonstration guy with the hope that we get one or two for science fairs.  It seems perfect because it has audience participation that is not too challenging and the effect is stunning.

Thanks again!

MatiasStuntMan

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 12:40:34 PM »

Very cool!!!!

RunBMC

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »

Very neat!  Thanks Zeemo for the great link!  I've forwarded this to our physics lecture demonstration guy with the hope that we get one or two for science fairs.  It seems perfect because it has audience participation that is not too challenging and the effect is stunning.

Thanks again!
Hmm, what a coincidence, I have a science fair project coming up! I was thinking of Optical illusions, and in a way this is, I should try this!
Every jam we play, we break two needles
There's three of us but we're not the Beatles
My name is Beau, you can call him B
You can call me Beau Matt Compt, or you can call him BMC
People always ask, "BMC, what does it mean?"
Well I just told you.

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:37:17 AM »

Wayyyyy Cooooollll

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 10:29:28 AM »

Very nice, thanks!!! This combines two of the things I collect: tops and optical illusions. The price is not bad considering that it includes the strobe light and 18 patterns. But it is interesting that the article says: "it is definitely worth it for the amount of time you can spend with it." By that reasoning buying a spintop should be a no-brainer!

I need to post a video of the two tops I have with the moving Spiderman holograms.

hemingsoft

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:28:56 PM »

That is crazy awesome!!
"Could switching to GEICO really save you 15 percent or more on car insurance?"

...Is a top in the hand worth two on the floor?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:50:28 PM »

I got the Strobotop for Christmas. It is well made and does what it says. Except, perhaps, that most people will probably not create their own designs and so the fun will not last that long for them.

But for me the included strobe light was a big incentive to get it: I wanted to use it with my tops. Perhaps for that reason I thought it was not working when I took it out of the box (before trying it on the patterns). I was so convinced that there was a problem that I disassembled the device to see if I could repaired it. Perhaps it had to do with that sound of something rattling inside when I shook it? Well, I did find the source of the noise and it was a gravity switch: for safety reasons the strobe light only flashes when you point it downwards! There was nothing wrong with it! :-[

So I have been playing freezing the patterns on my tops while they spin (the Mexican tops specially).  I repeated the demo Philipe did for me with his finger top with captive rings. In case you are interested, I measured the flashing frequency. It can be adjusted with a thumb wheel from 12.5 flashes per second (disco frenzy) to 66 flashes per second (looks constant to the eye).  The duration of the flash is about 0.6 milliseconds. According to the brochure the battery life is very long ("days and days" if continuously flashing) and that is good.

[Edit:] The maximum flash rate corresponds to one flash per one full rotation at 4000 RPMs, which is only surpassed by our tops in the first few seconds after a boomerang. But the "freezing" capability is limited by the duration of the flash. At 4000 RPM one turn lasts 15 milliseconds, so the 0.6 millisecond-long flash corresponds to about 15 degrees of the rotation. That would be the expected "blurring" on a top going that fast. In practice, I can read the patterns on the crown (close to the rotation axis) easily while the ones on the sides of the body I need to wait until it slows down.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:56:56 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »

it was a gravity switch !!!

i knew it Spok !

what are the data , Captain ?

be careful with these machines : your CO2 balance is going red ////////