iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Spinning Top Hall of Fame video tour  (Read 13729 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: The Spinning Top Hall of Fame video tour
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 04:56:06 PM »

Yep, it was a pretty full time with Jorge.  He didn't seem too intimidated by my "wild" life.  I don't think I have shared some of that with anyone else but John Buechele and ta0.  He was a natural on my high wheel bicycle.  When he looked at it and his eyes got real big, I knew I had to let him ride it.  I also owe Takeshi a ride from a visit after Indiana States a few years back.  There were just too many people around and I knew if I gave him a ride I would have to give everyone a ride.  I didn't quite have that much time!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 06:04:21 PM by ta0 »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Ketzaltlipoka

• Superhero member
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 09:17:43 PM »

GUAU!!!!!!!!!

that really is one place I would like to visit some day...
I´m really astonished...and I belieft that I was a passionated persond about tops... :'(

Congratulations!

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 09:44:18 PM »

I did some of my top show for the children's sermon about 8 years ago or so!  It is quite an experience!  Mike is quite a guy!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 10:42:52 PM »

Hey, Mike, one thing I did not realize until I saw my video is that you have a plaque for the 2004 world contest ladder. Were you there? I would had sworn that we didn't meet in person until you came to San Antonio.  ???

You got me to check the arrow-sign spinning thing. Wow, very impressive the videos on the aarrowads.com site: it would be a great spinning skill toy if it wasn't a job tool. But they have company contests and with hundreds of professional spinners I am sure it is very competitive.  Perhaps II should sell some arrow signs. Something interesting is that the company gives the spinners a raise for each trick they learn! The origin of the company were skateboarders that got summer jobs carrying signs.

pplgrande

• Superhero member
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 01:08:08 AM »

Thats a great video Mike

You got me to check the arrow-sign spinning thing. Wow, very impressive the videos on the aarrowads.com site: it would be a great spinning skill toy if it wasn't a job tool. But they have company contests and with hundreds of professional spinners I am sure it is very competitive.  Perhaps II should sell some arrow signs. Something interesting is that the company gives the spinners a raise for each trick they learn! The origin of the company were skateboarders that got summer jobs carrying signs.

And this answer my question, thanks ta0

SpinQueen

• Superhero member
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2010, 02:29:23 AM »

Wow, really cool stuff Mike!  Here's my question though...What ends up in all of the containers with photos of the players on them????  Their ashes?  :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2010, 03:11:28 AM »

Thanks for not laughing at me SpinQueen.  I know you were shaking your head at some of the stuff in there.  As far as ashes, yes I will accept yours.  I have also told ta0 that I would accept his.  The reality, though, is that I am sure I will be going before you.  Who will take my ashes?

The containers work very well to collect items from people in the Hall of Fame.  Otherwise I end up with little piles of things all over the place.......maybe I should say that I could end up with even more little piles of things all over the place.

Sharp eyes about the 2004 plaque from worlds.   Somehow it was not used and ended up in Dick Stohr's hands.  It is one of his contributions to "the Hall".  And thanks for the fascinating information about the spinning signs.  Raises for learning new tricks?  Very interesting! 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:06 AM »

Spin Queen: next time you cut your hair send some clippings to Mike. Same Eric when you trim your beard.
Who knows? One day the repository of spintop players' genes could be a great resource for a PhD thesis: is there a spin wacky gene? Or further in the future it could be used to bring to life a top player if we become extinct  :P

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2010, 10:06:27 AM »

I have Matt Ritter's hat he used when he won in 2007.  There has got to be a stray hair in there somewhere!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 02:03:14 PM »

A little article in the paper gave me a good idea for the Top Spinning Hall of Fame!  It said "nearly 2,000 former Texas high school football players who went on to play in the NFL will have their names on a 16 foot tall, 7 ton monument to be unveiled Friday in Ft. Worth."  I am not ready to build a giant wall like this but I would love to have a list to highlight all those who ever freestyled at worlds.  Wonder how big that list would be.......30.......40..........more?