iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Got Milk (jugs)?  (Read 63194 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Got Milk (jugs)?
« Reply #75 on: December 23, 2014, 02:21:21 PM »

Thanks for your comments.  This HDPE has been a very special gift this Christmas......to myself.  Family members and friends are giving me their recycled bottles and I am having lots of fun showing others my latest bit of progress.  It is so wonderful to have this kind of activity to get me away from work stress!!!

I have been reading the slingshot forum but not because I am interested in slingshots.  They have a long thread about making HDPE which dwarfs what we have been talking about here.  I had no idea there was that much interest in slingshots!  There are oodles more slingshooters out there than top shooters, which I never could have imagined.  If anyone is interested, here is a link to 33 pages of information about HDPE:
http://slingshotforum.com/topic/22723-hdpe-sheet/

After reading some of this early one morning (when I couldn't sleep) I ran across the idea about making bowls with this stuff.  I turned the oven on and soon I had some bowls to put some Christmas candy in.  It got me to thinking about other possibilities.......like fans and frisbees and other toy possibilities.

I love the idea that I am slowly moving into the realm of toymaker.  I always admired Don Olney.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #76 on: December 25, 2014, 10:44:10 PM »

I got a nova chuck for my lathe for Christmas.  Many thanks go to my lovely wife!!!  I played with it a little today but not too much.  This most certainly opens the door to many more possibilities with turning. 

Wow, I still have so much yet to learn!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2014, 10:24:10 AM »

Wow! Very nice of Dawn! Did you leave a Woodcraft's catalog with a large circle drawn with a marker laying around?  :)

Is that a 4-jaw chuck? You are getting fancy!

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2014, 11:05:00 AM »

Neato. I use Nova chucks and they're super useful.  They can make life at the lathe a lot more interesting.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2014, 11:12:51 AM »

I am still a rookie but, boy, am I am happy rookie.  I feel myself making progress every day and picking up new little tips all the time.  This is the life I love - where I can feel myself moving in a positive direction and know there is so so much more for me out there to still discover.

Last night I got to finally get going with my new nova chuck.  It is a four jaw chuck and it feels miraculous after having to deal with that pointy drive center for so long (and having to take it out and hammer it in every time).  The chuck holds the wood (or HDPE plastic cylinder) really well and that opens up all kinds of new possibilities.  Now my tips look so much better!

Dawn is pretty sharp.  I did have a catalog and the exact number but she was all over it long before that.  She is the greatest.  Last night she watched the Harry Potter marathon and I turned ten tops in the basement.  This morning I looked at ones that needed a touchup and that new chuck allowed me to fix them up quite nicely.  I feel like I just made a giant jump in what I can do.  Poptop was right about me needing a nova chuck!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2015, 12:30:54 PM »

Here are some of the finger spinners I have made out of HDPE.  It has been more fun than I thought!!!

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2015, 02:36:58 PM »

Nice swirl Earl, they are out of this world! 
Now give'em a twirl and post a video Earl!   

Keep up the great work   8)

lincolnrick

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »

Very neat Mike, keep turning them out!

Shootist

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2015, 08:16:05 PM »

Nice Work Earl,  Look forward to see them.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2015, 08:41:30 PM »

Here are some of the finger spinners I have made out of HDPE.  It has been more fun than I thought!!!

they look literally delicious

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #85 on: January 06, 2015, 11:05:40 AM »

That is the true meaning of upcycling!

Well, they DO look like candy!

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2015, 05:14:16 PM »

Well, they DO look like candy!

i know right, but i also just cant seem to stop seeing a red maple leaf in that white one in the foreground..........patriot jack is patriotic much  ::)

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #87 on: January 08, 2015, 05:26:44 PM »

They look great Mike!

I imaging that turning up-cycled plastic is really easy on your tools too :) 

less sharpening I'd think.
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #88 on: January 08, 2015, 08:11:36 PM »

Yes, this up-cycled plastic is easy on the equipment.  It is also kind of fun to turn......until you hit an air pocket!

The designs are fascinating to look at even when one is not throwing.  I see lots of different designs......like the red maple leaf!

Little pieces of red and blue hdpe look so much like candy that one person in the congregation actually put it in their mouths and were ready to chew it (before I stopped them).

If Chuck Norris approves my work then...............wow!  Thanks Jack!!!

Did anyone notice the long red and blue top at the back?  I was waiting for someone to ask if it spins.  It doesn't.  But I went out and bought a large washer and fit it over the bulb end and now it spins!

Also, the yellow, red and white top in the back to the right is a take off of a Philippe model that spins on one's finger.  I hope it was OK that I tried to imitate one of Monsieur Dyon's finger spinners.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #89 on: January 08, 2015, 09:36:18 PM »

Hey, you are already experimenting with unconventional designs! That is great!

In theory the tall top would spin, if you could spin it fast enough (assuming it is balanced), but probably faster than any fingers can achieve.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 »   Go Up