iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Total eclipse Americas 2024  (Read 1421 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Total eclipse Americas 2024
« on: February 26, 2024, 04:47:52 PM »

Hey, a new total eclipse will cross the US on April 8th:

Interactive map:
https://eclipse2024.org/eclipse_cities/statemap.html

My house is inside totality,close to the edge, but still over 2 minutes of totality. At the center path the duration of totality is 4:28, what makes it a long one. I do plan to drive a few kilometers to double my viewing pleasure (or to just view it if it's cloudy here).
Mike: Miamisburg is well inside the path!

We discussed eclipses before:
Eclipse (Partial and annular)
2017 total eclipse

If you want to come here to see it, I might be able to accommodate you. It's something everyone should experience at least once.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 04:50:45 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Total eclipse Americas 2024
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 08:03:52 AM »

Very interesting.  I will make sure Miamisburg is on the alert on April 8th.  I see some other spinners might also be in the path.  Cincinnati is on the edge.  Buffalo is right in the middle.  Rochester also seems to be in a good position.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2024, 04:29:44 PM »

A very important cultural center in San Antonio that has concerts, opera, etc. is organizing a Total Eclipse of the Arts party:

I imagine (hope) it will eventually be canceled as, as noted in the announcement, this location in downtown doesn't see totality but a 99.9% eclipse!  :o

Experience the celestial spectacle of a lifetime with Total Eclipse of the Arts, a unique eclipse viewing party hosted by the Tobin Center for the Performing Arts. Join us atop the Tobin Parking Garage on the 6th Floor, where the cosmos aligns to offer a breathtaking view of a 99.9% total eclipse right over the heart of downtown San Antonio.

Complimentary eclipse viewing glasses will be provided and free parking will be available on the lower levels of the parking garage.

I cannot imagine something more foolish than staying just on the outside edge of the path of totality! It's literally the difference between night and day! Outside totality, even at 99.9% ocultation, you need to keep your safety glasses all the time. You will never see the stars and much less the sun corona. Somebody's brain got an early eclipse, I would say!

I'm getting new binoculars (with active stabilization) for the event (I need to make solar filters for it.) Have premium solar glasses and a custom large filter to see the partial eclipse phase. Now I need to get myself a T-shirt. Most importantly, I have a camping reservation at a state park with a 4 minute duration and I'm still hoping to get a pass at another park with a 4:25 duration. The Planetary Society (and Bill Nye the Science Guy) will be very close, so it must be a good location!

I have not yet something spintop related planned but I have a couple of ideas I need to explore.

As you see, I'm getting hyped!

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 02:51:20 AM »

salut Jorge
you're seriously hyped for sure!

are your serious about this ?
a camping reservation at a state park with a 4 minute duration and I'm still hoping to get a pass at another park with a 4:25 duration.

it means that you drive, stop for 4 mn , and go ?

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 10:26:16 AM »

it means that you drive, stop for 4 mn , and go ?
Of course not, I would do just one or the other. It's impossible to outrun an eclipse with a car (not even commercial jets unless the eclipse goes from west to east).

In addition to the 4+ minutes of totality, the partial phase of the eclipse is interesting and you can see special effects. I'm thinking that a top with a hole or a wire mesh would give a special shadow when the sun is just a thin crescent.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2024, 05:27:05 PM by ta0 »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 03:25:04 PM »

More and more hits the media every day about the eclipse.  Today there is a full page of activities and events happening along the path with a number of things near Cleveland.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Green Flash
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 05:59:18 PM »

Not really related to the eclipse topic, but at least related to the sun. Link
Has any of you ever witnessed the "green flash". I have not. Or did I first hear of it in your book (kimera) ta0?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 12:46:33 AM by ta0 »

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2024, 01:17:06 AM »

The weather forecast here is rather disappointing: partly cloudy with a 24% chance of showers. It gets worse going north towards Dallas, were the forecast is storms. Along the eclipse path, only in central Mexico, the forecast is clear skies. But there are still 11 days left, so I'm crossing may fingers.

Has any of you ever witnessed the "green flash". I have not. Or did I first hear of it in your book (kimera) ta0?

I have never seen the Green Flash in person. But in my novel there is a mention in passing of the green ray, without explaining it.
I became an avid reader by reading Jules Verne (in Spanish) when I was about 11 years old. I ended up reading about 15 of his most famous books. But I was aware that the full list was over 60 books, and I knew their titles, including The Green Ray. Many years later I became interested in atmospheric optical effects and read books for the general public on the subject, where I found what the Green Ray was and a mention of Vernes book. So, decades after my initial interest in Verne I finally read the novel (this time in French). Actually, the book included two novels: Le Rayon Vert and Un Billet de Loterie. They are typical Verne, but a little less exciting (there is more romance and less adventure  :P ). In particular, the apparition of the green ray is somewhat anticlimactic.
I have seen photos similar to the ones on the Wikipedia article (perhaps the same), but I have never seen one of an actual (crepuscular) ray.

paulstewart

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2024, 10:29:07 AM »

I'm planning to drive north to the New York side of Lake Champlain to be in the area of totality.  Keeping an eye on the weather, which could spoil plans, but so far it looks promising. 

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2024, 11:02:39 AM »

I cannot believe it! Buffalo, NY, has better weather forecast for eclipse day that all of Texas! The forecast here is scattered thunderstorms!   :'(
Lake Champlain seems the place to be!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2024, 04:12:56 PM »

The forecast for the Ohio Valley is good, the one for Texas, bad. Twenty hours drive each way seems too much . . .  :'(

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2024, 10:00:58 AM »

Buffalo is going crazy about this.  They just published a full page from their 1925 paper about the last big eclipse!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2024, 11:58:16 AM »

Buffalo is going crazy about this.  They just published a full page from their 1925 paper about the last big eclipse!!!
Are you going to watch the eclipse with Jim and Owen over there?

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2024, 01:57:31 AM »

This is what a Canadian friend wrote to me .

Niagara Falls is in the path, they are expecting
 1,000,000+ people and have declared a state of emergency already.

Niagara Falls is in the path, they are expecting 1,000,000+ people and have declared a state of emergency already.
Niagara Falls is in the path, they are expecting 1,000,000+ people and have declared a state of emergency already.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 02:00:16 AM by ortwin »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2024, 06:26:57 AM »

I'm at the airport headed there!!!
Flying to Boston and the driving up to Maine!

I shouldn't have reserved an electric car. I may be in trouble . . .

Canceled trip. Back home. Phone stopped working. Too much hassle.
I will try to watch it between the clouds.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 07:27:18 AM by ta0 »