iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Report from Tokyo worlds 2023  (Read 5667 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Report from Tokyo worlds 2023
« on: December 20, 2023, 03:42:33 PM »

It's 5AM in Tokyo but the jet lag is keeping me awake.

Pinkie, Figaro and I arrived without problems to Tokyo (not counting a very long conversation with an AA supervisor explaining her the baggages rules of codeshare with JAL  ::) ).

The 9th floor of the official hotel started to get full of people that love to spin pointy things. Yahir, Skye, Xisco (with wife and kid), Beth, Mark K (with wife) and, I believe, Gianni are here.
There was a practice at a room in the event venue and late night get together at the hotel, but I missed them because I fell asleep.

This is Yahir's first trip out of the country. It should be a memory to last a lifetime. Here he is having lunch with Jun and Skye. I know Jun tried to teach him to eat ramen with chopsticks.

By the way,
In a couple of hours some of us are going in our first "field trip" to a workshop 2 hours from Tokyo.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 04:00:28 PM by ta0 »

Armando (elprofedeltrompo)

• ITSA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@Elprofedeltrompo
Re: Report from Tokyo worlds 2023
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2023, 07:59:15 PM »

Me siento muy feliz por todos ustedes los que están participando en este importante evento,  desde Bogotá les envío muy buena energía para que todas las actividades en la agenda de esta experiencia supere todas las expectativas que se tienen trazadas,  Bendiciones y ojalá en una próxima oportunidad también podamos ir muchos otros países no solo a la competencia sino a los talleres, a la comunidad, al compartir que es en escencia lo que deja muchas hermosas y maravillosas experiencias,  sigo muy atento al desarrollo de todo lo que ocurra en Japón,  Saludos especiales a todos Atte,  Armando

Jun

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 12:40:00 PM »

You can feel the atmosphere of Tokyo in this video.
-2 and -3 day!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2023, 06:02:01 PM »

Mr. Hito (Instagram: edo_kyokugoma) was a disciple of the Hiroi Brothers, starting 50 years ago. He lives in Yurugawa, near Hanoke, two hours by car from Tokyo, a region famous for its traditional lathe wood work.

Xisco and Skye had a chance to turn some tops in one of his old lathes. A different experience because you are sitting in front (and perpendicular) to the lathe, place the tool from below and the wood is fixed to the lathe differenly.

Gianni got to buy some nice edokoma while I got some dificult to find kyuokoma.

In the afternoon we visited a completely different koma turner, just a 10 minute walk from the hotel. His workshop is just a converted garage, with no windows or air filtration. When I hit one of the low ceiling beams .
with a top, a cloud of sawdust rained down. However, at almost 81 years old he looks healthy as is still working hard. He mostly does custom wood work, but when he doesn't have orders he tuns kokeshi dolls and komas.

Both craftsmen will be selling at the event.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:11:15 PM by ta0 »

Aaargh

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2023, 08:43:14 AM »

It's great to see coverage of this event!
Super sad that I won't be able/can't attend. But i'll live vicariously through all of you!

Jun

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2023, 11:42:03 AM »

-1 day!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2023, 04:36:21 PM »

Yesterday some of us joined a demo of SpinGear at an elementary school. Beth and Mark have a lot of experience teaching kids and it shows. And the kids were so well behaved and interested in learning that it was a pleasure.

I did have a "want to dissapear moment" when I dropped Figaro on the gymnasium floor (after we all had to take off our shoes) but somehow it didn't leave a significant dent.

We helped set up the venue. It's going to be great today:

Lots of practice by the competitors and even the judges practiced judging. What I didn't get much time to practice were the koma tricks for the Tsubame cup.

Mr. Fujita arrived yesterday night and at 80 years old he can still land the trapeze with the string hanging from the ear.

Tokyo is quite cold now, but we finished the day with some warm and excellent ramen.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:03:05 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2023, 05:40:22 PM »

It was a long day yesterday with the opening of the event. The main event was the tsubame cup, with over 60 participants. We did the preliminaries in groups of 8 to 10 simultaneously. 

Only 10 passed to the finals on stage and they were all Japanese. Quentin did very good and won his age division. I was too ambitious in my selection of tricks and only completed 5 out of 10, but was enough to win my age group. The overall winner was Nobu and third place Zero (Rei).

For me one of the highlights  was to meet the legend Ahai-Shi who did demo on stage and also on the floor.

An exciting competition was the street skills battle between Tok, Yahir, Jun and Quentin. In the final between the last 2, the public voted for Quentin.

On stage there were also demos by multiple-time world-yoyo-champions Hajime Miura 3A and 4A) and Takeshi Matsuura (1A and 5A). Also demos by elite diabolo and pen spinners.

We finished a great day by eating pizza and sushi at the hotel.

It's 7:30AM Tokyo time and today is the big day. The first in-person world spintop champion in 4 years will be crowned.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 02:06:30 PM by ta0 »

Armando (elprofedeltrompo)

• ITSA
    • https://www.youtube.com/@Elprofedeltrompo
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2023, 08:52:43 PM »

a pesar del horario desde Bogotá 14 horas de diferencia, muy pendiente de las transmisiones en vivo y los reportes tuyos Jorge, muchas gracias, se siente como esttar alli, veo que se están viviendo cosas maravillosas,  como me hubiera gustado estar alli, pero insisto, mucha energia positiva desde el otro lado del mundo.  Bendiciones y mil gracias por mantenernos informados.  Saludos a todos por alla.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2023, 10:52:53 PM »

The link to the live stream is on the Facebook page of the contest, I believe. Can somebody repost it here?

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2023, 12:34:19 AM »

thanx for the detailed report
can one find the live stream without FB ?  >:D >:D

THANX

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2023, 05:32:07 AM »

Results:

Traditional
1- Tock
2- Skye
3- Xisco

Open
1- Jun (ITSA 2023 Champion)
2- Yahir
3- Nobu

Lots of things to report in future days. Now I'm going to the after party.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2023, 08:19:39 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/live/HqmLNeD99hs?si=uNrdUUBYdOKn_MoR

Not live anymore but I guess in loop mode...

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2023, 09:26:52 AM »

Congratulations to all participants

special BRAVO Yun

more comments to come...

jim

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2023, 09:55:04 AM »

Congrats Jun and Tock! Amazing!

Jun awesome tricks and freestyle!

Yahir's and Nobu's freestyles were great too.

Everyone's freestyles and tricks were so well done, so creative and well planned out.

Thanks for the photos and freestyle livestream Youtube video   :)

I may have an after-party myself here to celebrate  :D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 »   Go Up