iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Halloween top  (Read 488 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Halloween top
« on: October 27, 2023, 11:43:53 PM »

This Halloween-themed top kinda made itself from parts laying around on my workbench. With a mass of 243 g and max radius of 168 mm, it may be my highest-AMI top ever. Also one of the dirtiest aerodynamically.

Between the huge AMI and severe drag, hard to start this top by hand, but a 1:4 planetary starter does the job. Initially, the top stayed up all of 9 s from a starter launch at ~200 RPM. But spin time doubled after adding side-fairings (see 1:30) to reduce air flow through the spoke structures.

Significantly less drag after the fairings, to be sure, but still severe — enough so that you can feel the top's wake at arm's length! The AMI added by the fairings effectively took it out of finger top territory.

As a final tweak, I lowered CM height from 36 to 30 mm. Spoke strikes got harder to avoid during spin-up — especially by hand. But speed at fall dropped from ~90 to ~70 RPM despite the reduced ground clearance, and spin time with the starter bumped from 18 to 23 s.

OK, not exactly a Simonelli-class spin time. But hey, do any of his tops have pumpkins and ducks on huge spokes? I think not!
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
Re: Halloween top
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2023, 03:15:58 AM »

Being so large, and not so heavy, (and consequently, I presume, with a relatively high AMI/weight ratio), and with a low toppling speed, I believe that it could spin for a long time in vacuum conditions, because of these features.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2023, 11:10:48 AM »

Being so large, and not so heavy, (and consequently, I presume, with a relatively high AMI/weight ratio), and with a low toppling speed, I believe that it could spin for a long time in vacuum conditions, because of these features.

I agree. In version 2, I plan to remove the pumpkins and duckies, install smooth upper spoke fairings, and do my best to seal the bottoms of the spokes as well. The AMI will go up again, but the less air flow inside the spokes, the better.

I've made lots of spoked tops, as LEGO lends itself to that geometry. Conclusion: Spokes aren't good for spin time, even when streamined.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 11:28:38 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 11:18:52 AM »

I m trying to make this thing spin along

Jeremy  , your box of lego parts will help a lot

fun ahead 🥳
jim