iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Poached eggs, anyone?  (Read 759 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Poached eggs, anyone?
« on: October 20, 2023, 07:49:23 AM »

It's been 13 months since we moved to a beach town just north of San Diego. To afford a house 5 min from the water by bike, we had to accept a 58% downsize.

Kathy generously gave me a small bedroom for a new LEGO workshop, but it had to convert to a guest bedroom on short notice. Couldn't figure out how to make that work until a month ago, but now I'm back in the top biz with a workable stock of parts out of storage!

One of the casualties of the downsize was a beautiful stainless steel egg-poaching set Kathy got from her mom.  Way too big for the new house, but the perfectly flat high-AMI lid was clearly top material, so I hung onto it. Now, with the help of a simple LEGO adapter, it's finally fulfilled its destiny...

Best launch speeds and spin times:
With the 1:4 planetary starter shown, ~600 RPM and 240 s.
By hand, ~400 RPM and 210 s.

Air resistance is greater than expected. Please see the video description for details.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 11:10:56 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Poached eggs, anyone?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2023, 03:25:01 PM »

Did you really move? The black marble countertop looks very familiar  ;D

Nice to see you playing with your tops again.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2023, 04:24:48 PM »

Did you really move? The black marble countertop looks very familiar  ;D
Nice to see you playing with your tops again.

Great to be back in action! Really missed the artsy/nerdy outlet and all my e-friends here.

Black countertops seem to follow me around. But the old one — probably a very fine-grained diabase — was in our bathroom. This gabbro in the kitchen (from the previous owners) is much coarser-grained, but you get partial credit: Diabase and gabbro are both subsurface freezes of the same kind of magma that erupts onto the surface as basalt. The gabbro just cooled slowly enough for larger crystals to grow — probably at much greater depth.

That diabase was my best spinning surface in the Denver house — way better than any glass. Starting to look like the gabbro puts up a little more tip resistance against LEGO's ABS plastic. Fine-grained rocks generally polish up to smoother surfaces.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 02:18:04 AM »

salut jeremy

!!

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2023, 11:08:32 AM »

salut jeremy

!!

jim
How goes it, my friend?

When I'm at the beach, I sometimes think of your posts from Corsica. I see kites here now and then, some very clever, but never long trains like yours.

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2023, 12:29:07 PM »

That diabase was my best spinning surface in the Denver house — way better than any glass.

Could you explain, in which sense better ? Maybe less friction ?  More resistance to scratches ..?

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2023, 02:23:57 PM »

That diabase was my best spinning surface in the Denver house — way better than any glass.

Could you explain, in which sense better ? Maybe less friction ?  More resistance to scratches ..?

Just in terms of spin time. The minerals in diabase and gabbro are much the same, and my ABS plastic tips can't scratch any of them. But I'm sure some of the tip materials you use could.

Are you thinking of trying some new bases?

The commonly used Mohs scale of mineral hardness is basically a ranking of what scratches what. Look it up on Wikipedia. Then look at the hardnesses for various minerals at mindat.org to see which ones a given tip material can scratch. Tungsten carbide can scratch almost anything.

The streaked brown kitchen countertop seen in some of my videos from Denver was a metamorphic rock with a very different granite-like mix of minerals. My tips couldn't scratch any of those, either. But the crystals were very large, and some definitely took the polish better than others. My tops clearly felt the resulting surface imperfections, and traveling tops often got trapped in them — including some I couldn't feel.

That was the worst stone countertop I've ever had from spin time perspective, but still usually better than glass.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 02:26:33 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2023, 04:03:46 AM »

Yes, your observations inspired me..  I didn't imagine that there could be polished stones with a surface better than glass. Glass is commonly used for precision tops, I too use it for my tops with an external ball tip.  But it would be nice to have a stone spinning surface.  I should make some tests and see if diabase could be good for me too: my ball tips are made of ruby, sapphire or similar very hard materials.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2023, 12:17:10 PM »

Yes, your observations inspired me..  I didn't imagine that there could be polished stones with a surface better than glass. Glass is commonly used for precision tops, I too use it for my tops with an external ball tip.  But it would be nice to have a stone spinning surface.  I should make some tests and see if diabase could be good for me too: my ball tips are made of ruby, sapphire or similar very hard materials.

I recall the very impressive test matrix you did with a range of tip and base materials. Looking forward to your tests with stone bases, as I also like the way they look and feel.

Just looked through some engineering literature on bearing materials. Looks like relative hardness across a bearing is only one consideration among many. The relationship between friction and wear resistance is also complicated.

So depending on what you're after — spin time or wear resistance — diabase might or might not be better than glass for your tops. The commercial name for my diabase was Absolute Black.

To put my experience with diabase in perspective, my tips are all proprietary ABS plastic with a low Mohs hardness of ~2. The minerals in diabase are all MUCH harder. Contact radius of curvature varies from 1.6 to 5.5 mm, with the 1.6 mm tip generally giving the least travel and longest spins.

Since most of my tops weigh well under 100 g, the bearing loads are generally quite small. Wear rates are surprisingly low but definitely increase with load.

At Mohs 9, your ruby, sapphire, and tungsten carbide tips are all much harder than any of the major minerals in diabase, most if not all of which are somewhat harder than glass.

Unfortunately, hardness is a very complicated physical property. Most common hardness scales are based on scratchability or indentability, which aren't quite the same thing. We're also interested in what will drill what at typical top weights and speeds. That's surely even more complicated than hardness.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2023, 12:32:01 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2023, 11:55:10 AM »

Very nice.  Also very clever.  I enjoy the sound as it slows!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!