iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Linked Events

• Miamisburg Festival: August 26, 2023

Author Topic: Miamisburg 2023  (Read 6069 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Miamisburg 2023
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2023, 09:54:22 PM »

This all slipped by me.  Sorry paulstewart.  I wanted to support you.  I will stay in touch.

The church seemed so quiet today as I picked up a few things and began thinking about next Sunday.  Now I am sitting in a quiet house.  I miss everyone and all the spinning activity.  It is funny how I kept  falling asleep today and taking short cat naps.  I am obviously still tired……but it is a good exhaustion.  Sunday afternoon we took Jun out for some American pizza.  Then some American ice cream again (Graeter’s).  He seemed pretty happy with double chocolate.  We stopped at our big art education store.  They have lots of great stuff and new creative things.  I always love going there.  We came back to the house and met more of the neighbors including the guy who is head of our neighborhood watch group.  Jun handles people very well and everyone comes away feeling good about his sincerity.  I pulled out two of our parade unit bikes.  They are foldable and work out well for short rides around town.  I gave him a tour from a different angle and better views of the river.  Later in the evening we went to one more American food stop at McDonalds.  He wanted to go there so he could compare it with the McDonalds back home.  Yes, he said, the burgers are bigger but the fry serving is about the same!  We had one more late night talk and headed to bed so we could be up at 6:00 to head to the airport for a 9:30 flight.  I am anxiously waiting to hear how he is doing.  I did hear from the Hickersons.  Eli has never flown so he and Austen went home in a plane.  Interestingly enough, father Mike beat them home while driving in his car!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2023, 11:20:51 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #62 on: August 29, 2023, 05:56:21 AM »

Hey, Paul! There is a Buy/Sell board on this forum where you can advertise your tops. One good thing is that generally posts on that thread stay on top for a while. I definitely need one of your tops in my collection.

The congregation of St. Jacob has witnessed some of the most unique services! I imagine that by now they wonder what Jim will come up with every year.

Jay

• ITSA Jr.
    • Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops
« Reply #63 on: August 29, 2023, 04:11:18 PM »

It was another wonderful year at Tops in Miamisburg.  There are so many fun people and cool tops :)  I am working on uploading the vids today... and will try to get them all uploaded... unedited and raw.. LOL  Enjoy.... The pics will come later this week and I will put a link up for them as well.  But for now.. .Enjoy the vids 20 are up.. with about 56 to go?  LOL   Also Please share the link with others...   Thanks to everyone for the fun..        All of the vids are now up.. .enjoy... will start on the pics soon :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 09:33:33 PM by Jay »

Jun

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #64 on: August 29, 2023, 06:23:11 PM »

I just arrived at my house in Japan!
I'm so glad to talk a lot of people about spintops! All days were so wonderful days! Thank you for everyone! Especially thank you for letting me stay at your house, Mike! I had such a wonderful time every night. Almost every night we could talk about spintop, culture, competition, rules, and so on. I never ever forget the moment!
At the us national, I was so glad to meet you all! It is really an honor to win the open division. I hope that we can meet each other at the world contest in Tokyo on December or in Cleveland!
I still cannot believe that Marcus is only 16 years old. I thought he was around 20.
I'm so happy to hear the opinion of you, including Eli, about the judging.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #65 on: August 29, 2023, 08:44:11 PM »

I have been waiting all day to hear the good news that you arrived home safely.  Very good!!!  Now I am wondering about Mark Leithead, Kirk & Rachel, paulstewart and others.  Hope Mark Hayward made it to his Chicago gig in time.

Yes, Jun, we had some good conversations.  I learned a lot.  Thanks for your friendship and your companionship at our house.  The dogs seem sad today.  I think they miss you, too.

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2023, 10:04:52 PM »

What a whirlwind of a weekend. What a great way to catch up with so many friends. Life has been so busy for me in recent years as I have focused on my professional career, I have almost forgotten how much I enjoy spinning a top. Admittedly it had been over a year since I had thrown a top, but it all came flooding back pretty quickly.

Mike was a fantastic host as always. It is no small task to organize such a gathering, and yet somehow the Earl of Whirl makes it look easy. Great to catch up with John Marcus, procure a few more of his indestructible tops (unless your name is Austen or Eli), and get an upgraded tip for one of my yoyofactory tops. Always a pleasure to see Jim Neff and ask dozens of questions of “why do you have that,” or “what does that do?” (The answer, of course, was always “it spins!”) Great to see the progress of Markus who, when I met him just a few years ago, was just getting started and now is the custodian of the national championship trophy for the next year.

It was my privilege to help judge the contest. Sorry I didn’t get to spend more time with Mark Heyward who had to leave shortly after I arrived. Absolutely mesmerized by Jun’s performance, the perfect blend of technique and artistry. Too much fun laughing with Mike, Austen, and Eli Hickerson. I’m pretty sure if we had another half hour together, we could have solved all the world’s problems. Impressed is not a strong enough word for all of Paul Stewart’s creations. Amazing work by an amazing craftsman. We even came close to recreating the epic, never-ending battle between Wolf and Black Mariah from My Summer Story! Always fun to reconnect with Kirk and Rachel, Kirk jumping in to make the contest a bit more interesting and Rachel catching so many fun moments on camera. Jay, thank you for documenting all of the fun, even my failed attempts with Paul’s 17 inch behemoth top!

There were whispers and rumors about possibilities for Cleveland in 2024. Time to dust off the tops and start training!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 08:37:44 AM by John Buechele »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #67 on: August 30, 2023, 12:00:31 AM »

Thanks Jay for the videos! I watched all 76 clips and it was like if I had been there.

Jun and Markus are more than ready to compete in Tokyo! Their live routines were as exciting as their online routines. I agree with the judges, by the way  ;D

Most impressive:
Markus playing piano
Eli playing with the 17 inch top
Jun landing both tops spinning on the hand at the end of his routine

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2023, 02:45:09 PM »

I think everybody summed everything up pretty well! I had a great time seeing everyone again, and I especially enjoyed meeting Jun in-person for the first time!  :o

Overall, another amazing event, and a million thanks to Mike for putting it together. I'm stoked for what's to come later this year and next year.  8)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #69 on: August 31, 2023, 05:15:49 AM »

wahou !   it feels so good to have all this feedback on the festival :) :) :)

Markus : we all hope you can make it to worlds in Japan,
and if that's in your plans, with your parents and things (..)
contact Jorge so that we can help you with  an ITSA fee to get there
we also plan to support south American players, Majorca,   .... and so on

keep spinning

all the best

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jay

• ITSA Jr.
    • Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2023, 01:40:33 PM »

Here is a link to the pics I have uploaded to Facebook.   Enjoy   https://www.facebook.com/media/set?vanity=Sammy1000&set=a.10162653734983273

Also for those that do not have Facebook, I have uploaded all of the pics to my Flickr.... Enjoy   https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjATcZA

I look forward to the next one :)

« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 03:42:36 PM by Jay »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #71 on: September 02, 2023, 01:15:43 PM »

Great photos!

This is one of the best Miamisburg group photo to date:

Jay: do you want to nominate a photo for the Photo Contest (if not I will do it).

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2023, 10:38:42 PM »

Me gustaría nominar

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube