iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down

Author Topic: A cautionary tale  (Read 2484 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
A cautionary tale
« on: December 26, 2021, 03:38:03 PM »

Had a nice Christmas anyway. Hope you all did, too.

Daughter Casey flew in from Omaha on the 23rd, developed mild cold symptoms overnight, and tested positive for COVID the next morning, variant unknown.

Since all of us are fully vaxxed and boosted, we took no precautions with her on the 23rd. That night, before any symptoms appeared, we went to a restaurant and an ice cream shop, and Casey ran into a coffee shop. We masked and distanced as best we could, but now all of those contacts have been exposed, plus folks on the plane and in 2 airports.

Casey will have to quarantine with us for at least 10 days before flying home. We opened presents together last night via Zoom. Not ideal, but it's still nice to have her home, and we're happy to be able to take care of her.

Her symptoms are no fun but still relatively mild and likely to remain so statistically. Still, I worry -- especially about long COVID. As for Kathy and I, mean incubation period is currently 3-5 days, so we'll just have to wait and see. So far, so good.

Take-home lesson: The pandemic's not over, folks! You still need to be careful. Just one piece of bad timing is all it takes to expose dozens of people. No wonder these recent variants spread so quickly!

« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 03:48:02 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: A cautionary tale
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2021, 05:10:10 PM »

It is shocking how quickly everything happens.  Hoping for the best for you and your family.  My step daughter went to a Machine Gun Kelly concert and wore a mask the whole time but still got infected.  She  is also pregnant and this makes me nervous although she has been vaccinated and is in good health.  Such weird times for the whirled and the world.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2021, 06:31:54 PM »

Sorry to hear that, Mike. All fingers and toes crossed.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2021, 07:06:08 PM »

Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your daughters. Hopefully with the vaccine the symptoms will be mild. And hopefully nobody else in the family gets it.
Eight days ago I was at Christmas dinner and at least two people in my table (including a women I danced with) caught covid. Fortunately, my PCR test came back negative. There seems to be a new explosion of cases. I'm boosted but I guess I will start to wear mask everywhere again.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2021, 09:30:31 PM »

From what I always see when it come to coranavirus, it always seems to be just like a common cold or the flu. I don't understand why people make such a big deal about it when we have been dealing with very similar and much worse viruses in this country for hundreds of years.  :(

mailman

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2021, 10:28:38 PM »

Nearly 800,000 deaths make it a big deal....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2021, 11:08:27 PM »

It can sometimes seem to be nothing more than like the flu but then it can also be something much worse.  This is not just happening in the US.  There are serious outbreaks and deaths around the world.  We had a member drive himself to the hospital one Tuesday.  He found out he had Covid and was dead the next Tuesday.  We had his funeral a few days later on Saturday.  It was shocking how all that happened in a week and a half!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2021, 11:16:35 PM »

From what I always see when it come to coranavirus, it always seems to be just like a common cold or the flu. I don't understand why people make such a big deal about it when we have been dealing with very similar and much worse viruses in this country for hundreds of years.  :(

Better check your sources on all that.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2021, 01:42:14 AM »

Better check your sources on all that.

agreed 100% !!
Now we have to fight not only the pandemic but also obscurantism , fake news and antivax blokes !

in Ajaccio this week , among the 16 patients in intensive care because of covid , 15 were not vaccinated..

its no joke !

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2021, 06:00:14 PM »

I also agree! A very good friend was on life support TWICE! He did survive but just barely. It took a long time and a lot of terrific medial personnel. Too many were not so lucky.
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2021, 06:13:22 PM »

Thanks for a positive and uplifting response.  I have not heard of anyone around here on life support TWICE!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2021, 01:37:52 PM »

So far, so good: Daughter's symptoms remain mild, and Kathy and I are still asymptomatic.

Yesterday, my genius neighbor walked up to me without a mask to tell me that he'd tested positive for omicron the day before and had symptoms! Luckily, we were outside in a breeze and probably got no closer than 8 feet.

By any reading of recent CDC guidelines, he should have been quarantined. And I'm sure he was told that when he got the test.

But this kind of behavior is typical for Sam. Like many Americans these days, he thinks that rules don't apply to him— no matter what's at stake.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2021, 01:56:10 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2022, 03:37:13 PM »

That is a crazy story.  Hope you are ok.  Also hope you and your friends and family are ok after those crazy wildfires in Colorado.  The stories and pictures are shocking!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2022, 01:43:39 AM »

Thanks, Mike. Daughter's out of the woods now, and my symptoms and Kathy's, all mild, are pretty much gone. PCR test drawn today, so should know within 48 hrs if my cough was really COVID.

I thank the Pfizer vaccine for keeping our cases mild.

Got some post-fire snow all along the mountain front, so things not as dry now. Another perfect (fire) storm unlikely.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2022, 01:52:11 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2022, 09:01:07 PM »

For 2022, we've resolved not to get COVID again.

Wife, daughter, and I just got over very mild confirmed cases. Son was spared.

Daughter's already out of quarantine and home. And wife and I have just 2 more days in captivity. Thanks again, Pfizer!
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 09:04:04 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2022, 11:46:59 PM »

Wow! Yes, the vaccine developers need a lot of praise.
The good thing is that now you are 4X vaccinated (booster + breakthrough).
Because omicron is so contagious, it will end up "vaccinating" all the unvaccinated (unfortunately killing some) and we will finally get good heard immunity. The bad thing is that this month the hospitals will be strained to the limit.

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2022, 09:47:22 AM »

Wahou !
Here in F , we have a very high contagion

Collective immunity will be reached soon
Despite the anti vax blokes who agress deputies, and even health care staff !

There will be better days for sure

Jim

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2023, 07:19:18 PM »

Bad news.  I just got a call from Don Olney.  After all their efforts to stay away from others and be careful, Don got Covid.  I am not sure how bad his case is but he says he has been struggling with his energy levels.  Hope Covid is not hitting your areas of the world and that things are looking clear for the big championships coming up.
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up