iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Dreamcatchers: Dreams came true  (Read 2164 times)

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: Dreams came true
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 10:15:31 AM »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 10:24:42 AM »

Beautiful shape, and the wraps seem stable. Why aren't more throw tops shaped like this?
Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes. -- Jose Ortega y Gasset

MrYo

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 01:02:14 PM »

are there any shops selling the rosalinda in the USA? and are they all ball-bearing tips? and are the tips compatible with previous strumol-otto tops?
No, only Spingear has few of Rosalinda, i left around 10 of them.
I shipped only bearing setup
The bearing/tip system is the same of the other Strummol8 tops, you can use the new run tip into the first STB
Fixing the tip is possible as the other models with a plastic and a metal washer just under the nut, as well you can put 8/9 mm silicone tube between the bearings.
Also you can put a one way bearing between the bearings.

Maurizio

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2022, 12:20:41 AM »

Yoyosam finally has both. I wish I had $200….  :-\

Daveid

• ITSA Jr.
  • pinwheels
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2022, 12:46:32 AM »

No, only Spingear has few of Rosalinda, i left around 10 of them.
I shipped only bearing setup
The bearing/tip system is the same of the other Strummol8 tops, you can use the new run tip into the first STB
Fixing the tip is possible as the other models with a plastic and a metal washer just under the nut, as well you can put 8/9 mm silicone tube between the bearings.
Also you can put a one way bearing between the bearings.

Maurizio
thank you i just ordered two... i may go after a third but it'll have to be in a few weeks.
like I always say:dead monkeys don't fly on sticks.

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2022, 05:00:46 PM »

I think they are beyond Ugly.

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2022, 01:04:07 PM »

;D ;D ;D ;D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2022, 12:22:52 PM »

I got back home yesterday evening and these were waiting for me:

A full review will probably need to wait until the weekend (I haven't throw them yet!). They do look pretty and have a good size.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Dreamcatcher review: first impressions
« Reply #23 on: February 05, 2022, 03:18:03 PM »

First of all, these tops are gorgeous. They scream quality and look even more luxurious than previous S8 tops.
They are as tall as the old Giulia (84 mm) but considerably wider: 75 mm = 3 inches (compared to 64 mm).

They weigh:
Augusta (Giulia-like): 89 gr.
Dionisia (Sofia-like): 93.5 gr.
Rosalinda (YYJ Chihuahua-like): 74 gr.

Before receiving the tops, I had two concerns from the photos.
Firstly, I thought they would be top-heavy as they have metal on the crown and plastic the rest. This is the reverse than my old trusted modded HP. However, the aluminum is quite thin and this appears not to be the case. The large weight of the tip section also helps. I compared the center of mass of the Augusta and a Giulia, and it's only slightly higher.

The second concern was that the metal would separate from the plastic if hit hard. In fact, that already happened to me on a hard hit of the Dionisia:

However, the metal cap is attached with a series of flexible ribs, so it snapped back into position when I applied pressure. So I'm not concerned about it anymore.
You can also see on the photo my first ding on a Dreamcatcher. Both the Dionisia and Rosalinda have a very sharp edge at the rim what could cause same pain if you hit yourself.

I have only played them a little bit as bearing tops, so these are my first impressions.

Augusta is a worthy replacement of the Giulia. One difference is that it appears to be a "slower" top, in the sense that it's more difficult to change the axis direction. It reminds me in this sense the YYF Throwback. You will notice this if you catch it with a lasso and immediately want to get it into a trapeze mount: it doesn't want to do it. This extra stability can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on what you are doing. But I would definitely recommend this top.

The Dionisia is even more unusual looking than the Sofia it's replacing, but it still plays surprisingly well. It's a little "faster" than the Augusta. You can throw it by either wrapping it starting from the crown or just use the bottom part. Is the large waist useful for any trick? I experimented a little by landing it on the string and doing a fast grind or roll, before popping it back into the air. I guess a few new tricks are possible but it's mostly for the looks. That look makes it a collector's must.

The Rosalinda is a fast top and it's very easy to get it to change axis direction. It has the concave profile of some traditional Mexican wooden tops and this was tried before by Yoyojam with it's Chihuahua top. The Chihuahua was a player failure (but great collectible) as it had two problems: an unstable wrap and when landing on the side the string tended to stall and not slide to the tip. To my surprise, I didn't have any problems with the wrap using the supplied string. I'm guessing that the wrap is still less stable than with a convex profile, but it doesn't appear to be a big problem. On the other hand, I found the non-sliding-to-the-tip a problem. The problem is not as big as in the Chihuahua: if you catch it on the side from a trapeze or a whip, the string will general slide to the tip but it takes a while, losing spin. The same if you lasso too high: the review by Dylan is wrong on this subject. I will say it's a distinct top, that could look great on a show: when standing up it appears to defy gravity even more than a regular shaped top. But I doubt we will see it on many competition freestyles.

Something I wish S8 would have changed on the new generation of tops is the size of the tip head. I always thought it was a little undersized for the Giulia and even more for these. A bigger head would make these tops play as a dream. Of course, S8 could always make new replacement tips compatible with all their tops.  ;)

Overall, these are great tops and considering their quality, size and the performance and proven reliability of S8 bearing tips, worth every cent.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 10:34:11 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Dreamcatcher review: first impressions
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 09:34:52 AM »

After the winter storm of the last few days, yesterday the sun finally came out. Rosalinda likes to sunbathe:

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: Dreamcatchers: Dreams came true
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2022, 12:00:41 PM »

Very jealous of you, ta0.  8)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 03:44:58 PM »

A short whip to the waist of the Dionisia:

I put a one-way bearing on it.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2022, 04:34:42 PM »

Hey Tao, just wondering, where did you get your one way bearings? I’ve been looking for some that are that size for a long time.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2022, 06:58:09 PM »

Hey Tao, just wondering, where did you get your one way bearings? I’ve been looking for some that are that size for a long time.
I used an original S8 one-way bearing. I have also bought them directly from bearing suppliers before but have not got the same spin times.
All info about them is on this thread: OWB GIULIA

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 12:17:50 AM »

I guess you can’t teach an old dog new tricks. I’m stuck - I like the Colombian style throwing - and my wood tops for tricks - fighting - world records. At the end my favorite top goes to my Great-granddaughter the others to my Grandchildren.