iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down

Author Topic: Rubik Top (Hybrid Toy Project)  (Read 15350 times)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Rubik cube
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2024, 10:28:25 AM »

...That's the new Rubik top (replaced the orange with red)....
I also have news from my copy of the Rubik top, but I am afraid its not the best news possible...
Today I went outside to a piece of grass equipped with the Rubik top tripod and cellphone to film my first try doing a boomerang with it.
Well, it disintegrated in mid air on the first attempt! Sorry! Maybe I upload the video of that later on.
One internal part of an edge of a center piece broke of, but that is not critical I think. One corner broke but I am hopeful that crazy-gluing it together again will work (its already in the process of hardening right now). The seven pieces that flew  off were spread over a radius of about 10 meters. I was lucky to find all of them, although the last one took me a while.
Did I learn a lesson?
Probably not! Last time a corner broke I said I would not throw it around, yet here I am ....

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Re: Rubik cube
« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2024, 11:29:19 AM »

Well, it disintegrated in mid air on the first attempt!

:o
I'm sorry about that.

I can mail you the replacement parts, but it would be more efficient if you knew somebody locally with a 3D printer.
By the way, I printed the pieces for the new Rubik top with the layers in the longitudinal direction instead of parallel to the base: I think this will make them stronger.
The pieces would be more efficient to make with a resin LCD printer instead of an extrusion filament printer, as you could make several in parallel at the same speed. One day . . .

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2024, 01:27:44 PM »

I also have news from my copy of the Rubik top, but I am afraid its not the best news possible...
Today I went outside to a piece of grass equipped with the Rubik top tripod and cellphone to film my first try doing a boomerang with it.
Well, it disintegrated in mid air on the first attempt!
The seven pieces that flew  off were spread over a radius of about 10 meters. I was lucky to find all of them, although the last one took me a while.

With great centrifugal force comes great responsibility.

That's especially true of modular tops. Our house in Denver had gouges in walls from top shrapnel. Some of the parts were never seen again, though I did find a few MIAs when we moved out.

When I started showing LEGO tops in public, I made a firm rule: To enter my collection, a top has to be rock-solid at well above finger speeds.

My top starters have also been quite popular. But have to be very careful with those in public. Guessing that 30-40% of my tops are NOT safe with my most powerful starters — especially the ribbon-pulls.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #108 on: March 07, 2024, 02:31:43 PM »

The promised video:

why can I never keep different topics in different threads?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2024, 03:47:43 PM by ortwin »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
Re: Rubik Top (Hybrid Toy Project)
« Reply #109 on: March 07, 2024, 04:02:40 PM »

Aaah, relief !!
I could repair it so that it works fine again as  a Rubik puzzle!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #110 on: March 07, 2024, 05:27:14 PM »

Aaah, relief !!

Do you think it's possible to make one that does both functions well? Mechanically, survival at boomerang-level centrifugal and shearing forces forces seems like a tall order for a top with so many internal degrees of freedom.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #111 on: March 07, 2024, 11:55:32 PM »

Aaah, relief !!

Do you think it's possible to make one that does both functions well? Mechanically, survival at boomerang-level centrifugal and shearing forces forces seems like a tall order for a top with so many internal degrees of freedom.
The design considerations for easy sliding of the Rubik planes and for withstanding high centrifugal forces are somewhat opposite, so it's challenging. But I'm sure it can be done.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2024, 01:55:16 AM »

Now I ordered that Rubik pear I linked to here.

Like with the lemon we saw before in this thread, I expect that I have to glue the outer layer to make sure it does not peel while boomeranging. I will report how it goes once it arrives ( in may or so).

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #113 on: April 14, 2024, 03:12:10 PM »

It is not May yet but that Rubik pear arrived already!
The picture from that site:

I pealed it in order to crazy glue the parts back on so they would withstand the centrifugal forces.

That brown little stem (is there no better word for this in English?)  was fixed with a little screw to a green cap. I replaced it after windening the sc
rewholw a bit by a nice Strummol8 tip I had lying around that fits perfectly.

The string came from a Can-Cels top.

« Last Edit: April 15, 2024, 10:31:28 AM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #114 on: April 14, 2024, 03:29:16 PM »

Looks fantastic!
That's a great idea on how to make yourself a top that works well as a Rubik's cube!

So, now it cannot be disassembled any more, I guess.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #115 on: April 14, 2024, 03:51:11 PM »

Actually it can be disassembled again: The cap that holds the tip and the one opposite to that, I did not glue on since I expected the centrifugal forces acting on those parts not to be that big.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #116 on: April 15, 2024, 10:47:24 AM »

One difference with the 3D printed Rubik top is that on the pear top the tip and crown are centers, while on the 3D printed they are two corners. So the pear seems more logical and less confusing.
 With all the pieces the same color and the easy sliding, the pear should be significantly faster to solve.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #117 on: April 15, 2024, 02:09:20 PM »

Yes it should be faster to solve, but I did still not solve it after the scrable in the video!
You know what? I still value the 3D-printed version a lot higher!
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up