iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ta-tack the new spin top that works without string  (Read 9365 times)

Androx

Re: Ta-tack the new spin top that works without string
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2020, 04:41:04 PM »

Mechanically, these regenerating boucing tops are basically upside-down plunge tops -- which also have to disengage their plungers on the return stroke. The few metal punge tops I've seen taken apart use this simple and cheap freewheel mechanism...

From the videos, Androx may have used a different one-way clutch. Would love to get a better look.

@Androx: Any close-up photos to share?
Jeremy I'm not spoiling. But what has cost me the most is to make it so simple.
But if you look at the patent it looks very clear or on YouTube you will see covers.

Sorry I'm enjoying so much. I think my friends are not interested in these things.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:30:39 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »

Getting that bouncing top concept to work is not easy: I know  ::)

No doubt. Guessing the main parameters to juggle would be effective spring constant, pitch (e.g., turns per max plunge), all the bearing resistances, the usual top mass properties (mass, AMI, central TMI, CM-contact distance), and shape-related factors like max tilt angle and air resistance.

That's a lot of trade-offs to play just so.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2020, 05:31:48 PM »

But what has cost me the most is to make it so simple.

I believe that.

Sorry I'm enjoying so much. I think my friends are not interested in these things.

I know the feeling.

The good news: We're here to talk tops without fear of the instant glaze-over we get everywhere else.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 05:39:05 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2020, 07:53:01 PM »

Good idea that Ta-tack Tennis game! I like it! But it's more like volleyball. The fact that it can be stalled by just letting it spin on the hand allows other playing strategies and may need specific rules. Have you tried using rackets/paddles? I could see people playing on the beach like they do with paddleball.

The toy seems to be quite sturdy, and can be dropped in tile, dirt and even water.

I saw that the list price is €35 but the current offer is just €15. The discount price is excellent: if you can make money at that price then you have a winner!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 07:56:40 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2020, 11:19:30 PM »

I found the WIPO application, and I can say that your invention is pure genius! In a field as old as spinning tops, it is extremely difficult to come up with a completely original idea that is also of simple and inexpensive mechanical construction. You have achieved that! In addition, your idea has a great potential for new ways of play.  :o  8)  8)  8)

I made a little prototype to understand better the invention. I doesn't really work as a top but at least I can see the working principle:

I don't know how you came up with this brilliant idea and how you believed enough in this solution to make it work (I'm still surprised that it does). I hope you are very successful with it. You deserve it!
« Last Edit: December 03, 2020, 11:24:18 PM by ta0 »

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2020, 01:51:01 AM »

salut Androx
Felicitations for your incredible no-string spintop !
its a great skill toy full of possibilities , fun , coordination , juggling indoors or outdoors etc
 and the mechanism seems so simple

I will tour the toy shops here in paris and see if they can order some

bravo again

jim

"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2020, 10:34:37 AM »

I found the WIPO application, and I can say that your invention is pure genius! In a field as old as spinning tops, it is extremely difficult to come up with a completely original idea that is also of simple and inexpensive mechanical construction.

Couldn't agree more, but still trying to wrap my head around how it works. :D

Androx

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2020, 01:05:35 PM »

Good idea that Ta-tack Tennis game! I like it! But it's more like volleyball. The fact that it can be stalled by just letting it spin on the hand allows other playing strategies and may need specific rules. Have you tried using rackets/paddles? I could see people playing on the beach like they do with paddleball.

The toy seems to be quite sturdy, and can be dropped in tile, dirt and even water.

I saw that the list price is €35 but the current offer is just €15. The discount price is excellent: if you can make money at that price then you have a winner!
Here you have it with volleyball. I recorded it in another format and had not uploaded it to youtube. But seeing that we coincide on the way I upload it but it is not in very good quality.

Androx

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2020, 01:32:41 PM »

I also have rackets. But they can't be normal rackets. I hope to release them in the future. But I'll give a hint for Jeremy. When hitting, friction is exerted on the shaft. With a normal racket it slides and does not work.
I have seen your youtube channel. Incredible the things you build. Second clue. The racket cannot be made with lego. ;D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2020, 03:32:59 PM »

I have seen your youtube channel. Incredible the things you build. Second clue. The racket cannot be made with lego. ;D

Very kind. When I finally get my own Ta-tack, I'll take that as a challenge.  (Hint: I'm not above combining LEGO and non-LEGO components.)

The fact the Ta-tack doesn't use a plunge screw makes a LEGO knock-off at least thinkable. Eager to give at least the mechanism a try -- but not for sale, of course.

Androx

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2020, 06:40:13 PM »

salut Androx
Felicitations for your incredible no-string spintop !
its a great skill toy full of possibilities , fun , coordination , juggling indoors or outdoors etc
 and the mechanism seems so simple

I will tour the toy shops here in paris and see if they can order some

bravo again

jim
Thanks Jim for your words.
I just reviewed the users and you are artists. It is incredible there is everything. I've seen gorgeous handcrafted wooden spin tops and great videos. Buff I thought I knew things about tops.
I really appreciate your words.

Androx

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2020, 06:51:32 PM »

Very kind. When I finally get my own Ta-tack, I'll take that as a challenge.  (Hint: I'm not above combining LEGO and non-LEGO components.)

The fact the Ta-tack doesn't use a plunge screw makes a LEGO knock-off at least thinkable. Eager to give at least the mechanism a try -- but not for sale, of course.
Yes, you can make Ta-tack with lego.
What I don't think you can do is make the racket with lego

Androx

« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2020, 03:40:17 PM »

Today I wanted to ask you a question. If the ta-tack spin top turns when you hit its axis, which is the same when it falls you hit its axis. What would happen if I cast it, put an infinite ladder?   

Androx

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »

This is what happens if you cast a ta-tack by a staircase.
If it were infinite, would it stop?(Editado)Recuperar original

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2020, 06:39:53 PM »

The stairs trick is great.  8) It reminds me the most famous trick with the Slinky. The Slinky became super popular and that was the main trick it could do!  ;D

However, that stair is covered with tile and the tip would have low friction, so I don't know if it would really go an infinite number of steps. That could be fixed with a rubber feet on the tip. The central protution could have a little spring so it retracts when it hits but comes out when it's spinning in place.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 »   Go Up