iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Got any top spinning humor?  (Read 3190 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Got any top spinning humor?
« on: April 10, 2014, 11:02:05 AM »

Maybe people have some good top spinning jokes or stories or injuries they would like to share?  It seems like this thread could be wide open to all kinds of "top humor".
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
Re: Got any top spinning humor?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:03:45 PM »

Thinking of Don Olney up there at the RIT reminded me of the story he told about putting spinning tops on people's heads.  I guess he used to do it quite often but then one time he did it on a nearly bald guy's head and it pulled out the last few hairs he had, which made Don feel badly!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

Three words......light bulb battle.

I laugh every time I think of that day at worlds where we had a top battle with light bulbs.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2014, 08:10:47 PM »

I wish I knew how to change this from yo-yos to spintops but
"Did you hear about the shipment of yo-yos coming from the Orient. The ship sank 5,642,387,000,000,000,000,000 times."
Practice hard and play safe.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2014, 09:28:36 PM »

I like czyoyo's story about his top getting away from him on stage and landing in someone's energy drink.  When he said it had the smell of fruity gasoline for several days that was the perfect ending!  Thanks for the smiles.

I still vividly remember Seth Boyd's top flying off the stage at world's in Orlando and hitting a computer keyboard!  I think he might have had the same problem Kirk is dealing with.

czyoyo

• Ultrahero member
  • I am American but I live in Czech Republic.
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 04:21:30 AM »

Looking back, some humorous spintop moments for me are:

-The previously mentioned Energy drink vs. Giulia adventure. :-[
-Gus balancing a top on Kirks head and it getting caught in Kirk's hair. (Not funny for Kirk.) ;)
-Trying to knee bounce my watts top. (The result was a nice bruise.) :'(
-The disclaimer before battle-tops at worlds. (Made me question if we would all walk out of that room alive!) :o
-Playing with Mike's "TOOPS" at worlds. ???
-Gus's little dances. (I need not say more.) ;D
-Learning that Jorge is not pronounced George! :P

I'm sure I'll come up with more! 8)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 11:59:53 AM »

-Learning that Jorge is not pronounced George! :P

;D  ;D  ;D
That reminds me my surprise when I found that John Buechele is pronounced John Beeclee???
By the way, gasing is pronounced like gas and Strummol8 is pronounced Strummolotto.

A random newspaper clip on top of a display case at Don's shop:

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2020, 06:10:20 AM »

Thinking back on our dearly departed friend Jeffs (Jeff Smith), I was often humored by his Disney World shirt with the big letters that spelled "Grumpy."  I could not help but laugh because he was always so nice and kind to everyone.  He always seemed to be the opposite of that clothing.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 06:12:58 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

Attila

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2020, 02:37:42 PM »

I can relate to czyoyo's story about Jorge's name :D

A funny story that I can remember is one that my brother always brings up when I show off a new trick. This was when I was learning the corkscrew, because that was the coolest trick to know among the other kids. When I finally thought I had it, I wanted to show it to my family so we went to the living room and they sat down on the sofa in front of me. Things obviously didn't go to planned as it usually happens to me when I have an audience and my top flew off the string straight in my brother's face. I felt bad back then but it's a fun memory now :D

A more recent one happened at the Loon-plage Festival with Rocco. We were playing with his tops, the game was he thew his spinning top from the floor really high almost all the way to the top of the concert hall's ceiling and I was supposed to catch it on a pan. I missed and the top hit one of my toes, I only had my socks on so there was nothing to protect my feet which was a pretty big oversight from my part looking back  ::) That is the story of how I got a spintop piercing from Italy. Rocco felt very bad and so did I for making him worry. He quickly ran off to get some ice and first aid and treated my injury. I made sure to wear shoes for the rest of the event :D

JMauk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 03:24:10 AM »

Some of my now humorous, previously mortifying, top show experiences:

1. In Australia in 1979 I was on two TV shows a week apart.  One in Melbourne and one in Adelaide.  The first was a pre-recorded show and I was a little concerned when they brought me a 12-inch diameter wooden disk to land my 5-lb, 12-inch tall, 8-inch diameter Kauri top on before picking it up. They were worried their studio floor might be damaged.  But I thought, since the show's pre-recorded, we could always do a take 2 or 3 or etc!  As the time came, I landed it dead center first try and finished with no retakes.  The next show in Adelaide was a live broadcast and they had me on for the finale of a variety children's hour.  I was concerned about being given limitations like the Melbourne show but they said I could put the top anywhere on the studio floor.  I was relieved.  Until, as we were wrapping up my part with the grand finale Kauri top, it landed on it's side and rolled all the way to the far side of the studio with me in hot pursuit.  The emcee said "He'll be right back, folks!" and started closing the show.  I returned and did it right and held it up in my hand next to him as he said "That's all for today, see you next week!"

2.  About 12 years ago in Manila, I did a tops show at the function hall of the oldest Anglican Church in Manila for a full house of high school students.  We were there early and waited a while for them to assemble and I made sure to visit the loo before starting the show.  We did a full 45-minute show for them and it was only after the show was over and I went to sit down that I noticed my zipper had been unzipped the whole time.  I was thankful the pair of pants I had did lie nicely flat when standing but perhaps I should be more thankful for the graciousness of the audience and hosts who never said a word about it!

3.  March 10, 2012, we did the first attempt to spin my giant 12-foot diameter top,  As most of you know, a gear on a winch we were using shattered and a fragment crushed the back of my skull and I ended up having about a 1-inch by 2-inch chunk of skull removed.  When my older brother heard it he said "My little brother needs a world record like he needs a hole in his head!"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 10:31:14 AM »

When my older brother heard it he said "My little brother needs a world record like he needs a hole in his head!"
;D ;D ;D