iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: The Tops in My Summer Story  (Read 4474 times)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
Re: The Tops in My Summer Story
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2020, 12:16:26 AM »

I don't remember where I read it, but apparently, the actor who played Lug Ditka had trouble throwing the top  because he was left-handed.
Wow, I never knew that.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2020, 12:20:57 AM »

By the way, the top museum is open now for appointments, but you have to go through all these safety regulations, and wear a mask.  ::)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2020, 05:55:47 PM »

By the way, the top museum is open now for appointments, but you have to go through all these safety regulations, and wear a mask.  ::)
That's great. I have not yet visited the Museum or met The Top Lady. But, unfortunately, it will be some time before I'll be flying for pleasure again   :'(

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »

It was great to hear Texture's face to face to top report about our favorite items out of their boxes.   Rumors were going around but Texture gave us an up close and personal connection.  Pete (Texture's father) says that Judith and his son really hit it off.  She recognized that he was not just a casual spinner and so they ended up talking for three hours!!!  Good job, Mr. T.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 03:30:10 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2021, 02:19:38 PM »

I just heard this news on the radio.  Charles Grodin died.  He was the one who played the father, Mr. Parker in the movie.  He was also referred to as “the old man.”  So sorry to hear about this.  He was 86.

Interestingly enough, as I look up information about him and movies he was in I have to look pretty hard to see where he was in “My Summer Story.”  Maybe that was not one of his most famous roles but it certainly means a lot to us!!!

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2021, 04:24:44 PM »

:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( Sad....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2021, 10:37:58 AM »

Interestingly enough, in our local paper our favorite top movie was mentioned with Mr. Parker.  It says “After 1994’s My Summer Story, Grodin largely abandoned acting.”   Hmmm...

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2021, 09:18:22 PM »

The boy who played Ralphie has been living in the same one bedroom apartment since he was 19, says an article in Yahoo news…
https://www.yahoo.com/news/kieran-culkin-family-spent-pandemic-180957507.html

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2021, 10:26:22 PM »

I wonder if he still remembers what a top is....  :-\

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2021, 03:52:51 PM »

Ralphie is in the news again.  Today, September 30th 2021, is his 39th birthday.  Yes, I wonder if he knows what a top is or how to throw it!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2021, 04:09:24 PM »

Ha!  How great to revisit this thread which introduced all of us to Texture!!!  I came back here because of all the press about the house where “A Christmas Story” was filmed.  Nice articles about it and their holiday hours.  It reports that the house was unknown to most of the public until it was purchased on eBay in 2004, site unseen by Brian Jones for $150,000.  He put an additional $240,000 into the property to restore it to its original movie splendor.  The house opened for tours Thanksgiving weekend 2006.  Now it is one of the most popular tourist attractions in Cleveland.  So, is this supposed to also be the same house where “My Summer Story” took place?

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2021, 11:34:49 PM »

Interesting....  8) I guess it’s supposed to be the same house, but it might actually be the same house...   :o

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2022, 02:42:23 PM »

Now there is lots of press out about the remake of “A Christmas Story.”  Ralphie returns as an adult with a family of his own in “A Christmas Story Christmas.”  The potential good news is that people may ask about the sequel to the original then we can talk about spin tops!!!

https://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/2022/11/peter-billingsley-is-back-as-ralphie-talking-a-christmas-story-cold-nights-in-cleveland-and-that-new-hbo-max-sequel.html?outputType=amp

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2022, 11:45:14 PM »

The potential good news is that people may ask about the sequel to the original then we can talk about spin tops!!!

Hopefully, especially considering the second attempt at a sequel, "A Christmas Story 2", (from 2012) had so many bad reviews....   :P

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2022, 03:03:42 PM »

Now, today’s paper is reporting that “A Christmas Story” house is up for sale.  Ha, just in time for the holidays!  Maybe Steve Brown can buy it?  He is in Cleveland.  He could turn it into a destination point for top spinners!!  We could have nationals there and everyone could stay in the house!!!  What a time that would be.

In case you are interested, Hoff & Leigh real estate is handling the sale.  The entire campus is for sale.  The house was built in 1895 and opened for public tours in 2006.  It attracts 75,000 people annually.