iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Avast, ye maties!! Pirates and tops?  (Read 108 times)

mailman

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Avast, ye maties!! Pirates and tops?
« on: February 12, 2020, 05:10:43 PM »

I've just finished reading Treasure Island, by Robert Lois Stevenson, first published in 1883.

I was surprised to find two very clear references to spin tops in the old classic.

The first comes on the first page of Chapter XIV, "The First Blow".  It reads: "...here and there I saw snakes, and one raised his head from a ledge of rock and hissed at me with a noise not unlike the spinning of a top."

The second is found on the second page (in my edition) of Chapter XXXIII, " The Fall of the Chieftain".   It reads: "...the man with the bandage spun round like a teetotum and fell all his length upon his side, where he lay dead..."

It never ceases to amaze me in what unexpected places I'll find spin top references....

mailman

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
Re: Avast, ye maties!! Pirates and tops?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2020, 05:12:42 PM »

I've just finished reading Treasure Island, by Robert Lois Stevenson, first published in 1883.

I was surprised to find two very clear references to spin tops in the old classic.

The first comes on the first page of Chapter XIV, "The First Blow".  It reads: "...here and there I saw snakes, and one raised his head from a ledge of rock and hissed at me with a noise not unlike the spinning of a top."

The second is found on the second page (in my edition) of Chapter XXXIII, " The Fall of the Chieftain".   It reads: "...the man with the bandage spun round like a teetotum and fell all his length upon his side, where he lay dead..."

It never ceases to amaze me in what unexpected places I'll find spin top references....

The italics are mine, not Mr. Stevenson's....

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
Re: Avast, ye maties!! Pirates and tops?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »

Very good!  Thanks for point those items out!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!