iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Spintastics Sidewinder solder and bearing mod  (Read 14389 times)

johnm

• Ultrahero member
Re: Spintastics Sidewinder solder and bearing mod
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2010, 09:20:11 PM »

@johnm, thanks for the tip! will try looking for it when I go by some craft/hardware store next time.  supplies are quite limited in range here in Singapore thou, didn't see it the last round when i bought the acrylic. :)
Right, it is probably harder to find at walk-in stores, I was thinking mainly mail-order places.  Actually plastic rods of many materials are available on eBay and from Amazon but shipping to Singapore may cancel out the bargin prices.  Anyway here is one eBay seller that has polycarbonate rod in several sizes as well as delrin which is also reasonable for top tips (and whole tops as we know from the Maurizio tops)
http://stores.ebay.com/NorVa-Plastics_Other_W0QQ_fsubZ1QQ_sidZ21035614QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Grande Trompo weight ring can fit Spintastics Sidewinder
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 04:55:11 PM »

I was experimenting some today and found out that the Grande Trompo weight ring fits the outside of a Sidewinder in replacement of the rubber O-ring. Not that much more weight than if you did a solder ring though. I found some solder today at Home Depot on clearance for $4.00. Nice deal. But I would have liked to have found out sooner that a Grande Trompo weight ring fits on a Sidewinder. You can get a weight ring for $0.25 cents. If you look at the original Sidewinder it use to have a metal ring. The metal ring was changed to a rubber O-ring to better cushion impacts I think...But the rubber O-ring somewhat changed the play of the Sidewinder. I'll probably put a couple of wraps of electrical tape over the metal weight ring to help cushion the Sidewinder better.   

Mark Magyar

• ITSA Jr.
Re: Grande Trompo weight ring can fit Spintastics Sidewinder
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2010, 09:59:48 AM »

I was experimenting some today and found out that the Grande Trompo weight ring fits the outside of a Sidewinder in replacement of the rubber O-ring. Not that much more weight than if you did a solder ring though. I found some solder today at Home Depot on clearance for $4.00. Nice deal. But I would have liked to have found out sooner that a Grande Trompo weight ring fits on a Sidewinder. You can get a weight ring for $0.25 cents. If you look at the original Sidewinder it use to have a metal ring. The metal ring was changed to a rubber O-ring to better cushion impacts I think...But the rubber O-ring somewhat changed the play of the Sidewinder. I'll probably put a couple of wraps of electrical tape over the metal weight ring to help cushion the Sidewinder better.   
The older inner weight rings for the Grande Trompo did fit on the outsite of a Sidewinder. The newer spring clip rings that aren't welded together are too loose to fit on the outside of Sidewinder. Now back to staying with the solder ring.
Pages: « 1 2  All   Go Up