iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: New Spinner Problems  (Read 2489 times)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
Re: New Spinner Problems
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2019, 08:13:42 PM »

Don't get discouraged!  When I was just learning, I ricocheted tops off the ceiling, the refrigerator, my dog's water bowl... It gets easier, and eventually becomes more intuitive where you can make adjustments for different tops and string lengths. 
The pull back should be a graceful upward arc.  I think it was butterfingers who said it was like pulling back a fishing pole. 
A whole new world of tricks opens up when you can land a boomerang regularly.  Good luck, and keep on spinning!

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2019, 07:47:24 AM »

3 bits of advice:
Learn to watch the top as it rides down the string.  Start by letting it fall to the ground as it rolls our of your hand. Observe how it moves.  Then learn how to watch it during a regular throw to the ground.  Not only is it amazing and fun, you will eventually learn how to make adjustments to your throw.
Learn to correct the top well.  (skyrocket, scoop, or buy a cheap gyroscope)  I used to deem many "bad" throws as uncatchable and give up.  After watching my friend Rolando always catch tops that were 80 degrees off vertical, I knew I was giving up to often.
Take Rene's advice. Don't get discouraged.  I well remember unsuccessful hours under the magnolia tree. (away from the refrigerator)

Trip

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2019, 08:01:45 AM »

Thanks for the help guys!

I got a string maker from Neff (he made me a string at worlds and I broke it which is sort of my MO, breaking things in new ways) and the longer string that I turned makes a big difference!

I'm still working on it, but much better rotation now!

Thanks!

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2019, 04:17:51 PM »

LOL how in the flip did you break a Neffy spin top string?

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2019, 04:32:18 PM »

I love my string makers. I can make a string for a 4 3/4 top. When you start making bigger tops making your own string is a must.

Trip

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2019, 04:59:38 PM »

Weeeelllll... What had happened was, I thought it would be cool to use a real button as a top button.

So I drilled out an extra button I had lying around, but the edge was sharper than I realized on the hole and it cut the string after a few throws.

That or it was when I used the Neff string to pull up a stump with my Toyota Corolla.

Jack

• Demigod member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2019, 08:34:11 PM »

Weeeelllll... What had happened was, I thought it would be cool to use a real button as a top button.

So I drilled out an extra button I had lying around, but the edge was sharper than I realized on the hole and it cut the string after a few throws.

That or it was when I used the Neff string to pull up a stump with my Toyota Corolla.

LOL  ;D