iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Rock 'n roll regeneration  (Read 1816 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Rock 'n roll regeneration
« on: August 17, 2019, 04:23:59 AM »

We've discussed the regeneration method ta0 calls "plate regeneration" several times, most recently here. Naturally, I couldn't resist a LEGO version.

But I'm now calling it rock n' roll regeneration (RRR), because that's what goes on: You keep rockin' the arena just so, and the top keeps rollin' downhill in response. If the tip has enough traction to roll more than it slips, the potential energy lost in going downhill shows up in added spin kinetic energy.

As Top-No-Sis inventor Ed Rubin noted, you can't just use any old top and arena. And how right he was! RRR turns out to be a Goldilocks process, in that many top and arena parameters have to line up just right to get efficient regeneration.

After many experiments, 2 good rules of thumb...
1. The greater the top's AMI, the greater the tip radius of curvature must be to keep the top going indefinitely.
2. Weight generates the tip resistance needed for regeneration. But too much weight makes a top too hard to turn around.

See video description for details.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 04:46:25 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
Re: Rock 'n roll regeneration
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 06:58:17 AM »

"Rock 'n Roll" tops would have been perfect for Cleveland >:D
That's a cool way to spin. You could turn that into exercise.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 09:50:06 AM »

Argh! I really liked the name plate regenarations: it sounds like what you would read in an engineering book. Besides, my first video was using a dinner plate.  But I have to admit that Rock' and Roll Regenerations, RRR, is a better name.  I might call them rock'n roll plate regenerations until I get over it.

As Top-No-Sis inventor Ed Rubin noted, you can't just use any old top and arena. And how right he was! RRR turns out to be a Goldilocks process, in that many top and arena parameters have to line up just right to get efficient regeneration.
Ha! My take, from the same facts, is just the opposite :P : there's nothing too special about Rubin's tulip top, and most tops will work if they have a round tip big enough and if they have the necessary clearance. We don't disagree in the facts, just in where we put the emphasis.

You are rocking that plate  ;) a lot. Is it perhaps too slippery? I do it much less. Your rocks look like what I have to do for counter(-precession) regens (reverse RRR = R4?). Those are considerably more difficult and I would be interested in knowing what are the ideal parameters for a top.

PS: A top video with ducks in the background: nice!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:12:52 AM »

You could turn that into exercise.

Exactly! Plan A now is to open a national chain of Rock 'n Roll Regeneration centers to compete with goat yoga. Looking for investors.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 01:33:55 PM »

Argh! I really liked the name plate regenarations: it sounds like what you would read in an engineering book. Besides, my first video was using a dinner plate.  But I have to admit that Rock' and Roll Regenerations, RRR, is a better name.  I might call them rock'n roll plate regenerations until I get over it.

Truly sorry for your loss, but the "plate" part had to go when I discovered that RRR efficiency goes through the roof in the right circular bowl (as called for in the 1965 patent). Centrifugal force acting on the spin-stabilized top then sets up a positive feedback, as more normal force on the tip begets more tip resistance begets more regenerating torque begets more speed begets even more centrifugal force.

Add a resonant bowl and a textured tip, and the high-speed turbine sounds get almost scary. Stay tuned.

You are rocking that plate  ;) a lot. Is it perhaps too slippery? I do it much less.

The arena shown could well be too slippery (see below), but don't forget that you're Dr. Skill Toy, and I'm Mr. Klutz. Every once in a while, I get a good circular RRR going with very little rocking. You do it with ease.

Ha! My take, from the same facts, is just the opposite :P : there's nothing too special about Rubin's tulip top, and most tops will work if they have a round tip big enough and if they have the necessary clearance. We don't disagree in the facts, just in where we put the emphasis.

Given the LEGO parts available for tips, I may well be operating at the limits of traction here. That makes RRR top design a lot trickier, but I never pass up an opportunity to make things more complicated than they have to be. It's a character flaw. :D

After trying maybe 8 different arenas, got stuck on making this one work for 3 main reasons...
1. Mr. Klutz needs guard rails and a lot of room to maneuver.
2. Especially love how the resonant lid amplifies tip sounds. That audio really adds to the RRR experience.
3. The span and heft feel good when I rock it, also adding to the RRR experience.

PS: A top video with ducks in the background: nice!

Ducks just can't resist a camera. You live on a lake, you get ducks in your shots.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 01:40:54 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 04:29:54 PM »

Now that was enjoyable to watch. Such beautiful LITTLE tops. Where did you get that lid? Now with that kind of talent get a wood lathe - and start making 4.0 inch tops. Now if that sounds offensive- make 3. 3/4 fighting tops and I will meet you in the battle ring. Life is GOOD. Isn’t there anybody that will grab a big fighting top and stand up to a crippled old man? I will be 74 in September. This is United States we can be the best trick fighters in the WORLD. I’ll be BACK.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 05:32:14 PM »

Now that was enjoyable to watch. Such beautiful LITTLE tops. Where did you get that lid? Now with that kind of talent get a wood lathe - and start making 4.0 inch tops. Now if that sounds offensive- make 3. 3/4 fighting tops and I will meet you in the battle ring. Life is GOOD. Isn’t there anybody that will grab a big fighting top and stand up to a crippled old man? I will be 74 in September. This is United States we can be the best trick fighters in the WORLD. I’ll be BACK.

Thanks, Cecil! I'm having way too much fun as it is, so we need a division of labor here: You do the big top, lathe thing you do so well, and I'll do mine.

PS: The lid came from a 40-quart under-bed storage bin.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 06:21:12 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 06:19:07 PM »

No I think i would like to learn how to work with Lego’s and get with my Great Grndaughter and finger spin some tops. When I showed her the 4 7/8 mixed wood Beatle Juice top her eyes got so big I told her Mommy I will leave the top for her. She is my greatest fan.

This video was last year.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:46:08 PM by cecil »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 10:02:20 PM »

That is a great video and it shows the power of those power strips.  Very nice!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 10:26:27 PM »

This video was last year...

She's definitely been keeping her eye on you.