iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Ribbon-pull top starters  (Read 1639 times)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
Ribbon-pull top starters
« on: June 19, 2019, 12:52:15 AM »

Based my first LEGO string-pull top starter on Japanese examples like so...

Then I met master French top-maker Christian Laloye at the Marines Festival in February. And he showed me that for this purpose, ribbon is vastly superior to string.

Over the years, I've come up with electric, pneumatic, spring-powered, string-powered, and gear-driven starters (examples here, here, and here). Most work well, and some are quite fun in their own right.

The "ribbon-pull" starters below are my most recent, and what's not to like? They're small in size and weight but big on power and versatility. They're easy and fun to use, have a pleasing mechanical feel, and even rewind automatically. And they allow fine control over the torque, speed, and tilt applied to the top.

One of the best things about ribbon-pulls: A top with a medium to large axial moment of inertia (AMI) and a medium to low center of mass (CM) can carry one on its stem, just as Japanese string-pull tops often do! The 5 tops at 0:48 are good examples, though the green and orange Airjitzu top at 4:06 struggles somewhat due to its relatively small AMI and high CM.

At 5:13, I also show 2 detaching ribbon-pulls. These are analogous to the string-pull "handles" used to start tops around the world, but they're easier to use and much more compact. One transfers torque to the top via dog clutch. The other has a loosely fitting drop-out chuck for my usual LEGO cross-axle top stems.

The first 8 tops shown can take any speed a ribbon-pull can dish out. But the last (8:37) literally explodes at the highest ribbon-pull speeds. (Some of the pieces are still MIA.) The reason: Studded connections tend to have unfavorable orientations when it comes to resisting centrifugal force in a rapidly spinning LEGO top. In this example, the gold conical hats and the white bricks around the top's periphery tend to fly off first.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 11:24:16 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Jan-Pieter

Re: Ribbon-pull top starters
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2019, 10:12:18 AM »

They look fun, I especially like the detachable ones. I hadn't seen these with ribbons yet.

N7TCP

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2019, 10:23:57 AM »

Good tutorial. Very informative.

Iacopo

• Immortal Member
    • Spin tops by Iacopo Simonelli, YouTube channel
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2019, 02:49:11 PM »

Ribbons..  they seem a good idea for these starters.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2019, 02:58:48 AM »

Stemless top with powerful detaching string-pull handle by Christian Laloye. The knob improves grip while keeping the string from rewinding into the handle. The one-way dog clutch between handle and top (female side in green) automatically disengages and ejects the top when the handle abruptly comes to the end of the string. Very clever.

(The wooden collar above the top's metal rim wasn't cracked when I left France. For that, I have Colorado's ultra-dry winter air to thank.)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2019, 03:08:10 AM by Jeremy McCreary »

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2019, 08:47:41 AM »

I loved your video!!!!

Bravo!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 10:17:37 PM »

I don't think I had watched the full video before. The ribbon launchers are pretty nice.
At one point you say that string launchers have been used for hundreds of years. That's true for the generic ones, but the attached self-rewinding type you used, perhaps for less than 150 years: Rochester's self-winding tops
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 11:48:17 PM by ta0 »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 10:37:40 PM »

I don't think I had watched the full video before. The ribbon launchers are pretty nice.
At one point you say that string launchers have been used for hundreds of years. That's true for the generic ones, but the attached self-rewinding type you used, perhaps for about 120 years: Rochester's self-winding tops

Wonderful posts from our resident top historian! Thought self-winding Edo tops appeared long before these American examples, but perhaps not. Will check Lourens' book and the book on Edo tops by the Masaakis.

BTW, these ribbon-pulls can be downright dangerous, as they deliver far more speed and torque than any other starter I've come up with. Most of my tops can take anything my other starters can dish out. But the ribbon-pulls can turn about half of my tops into shrapnel spread across 3 rooms.