YES
- 8 (42.1%)
NO
- 8 (42.1%)
Won't know until close to the date
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Linked Events

• National Spin Top Championship at the Whirled Festival of To: August 24, 2019

Author Topic: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24  (Read 21746 times)

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
Re: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2019, 10:27:54 AM »

Here are the vids from the

2019 Spin Top Freestyle National Championship - Miamisburg Ohio

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYwPQn2nGjNSK4CU51X9Q2cS8InG3gdCF

There are many more vids to come from the rest of the day  :)
Very fun freestyles!  I'll have to get out one of these years.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2019, 01:43:04 PM »

Ha ha!!!  Mark, living the dream of every top spinner.  Having to demonstrate what his spinning equipment is all about.  I would like to be in the top circus vehicle when Jim Neff tries to cross the border.  That would also be an interesting conversation.

Thanks for the kind comments, oh uniquely one.  It was a thrill to work on the hall and have it "somewhat" organized for the after fest festivities.  I wasn't sure how it would work with 15 people in there at the same time (a new hall of fame record) but it seemed to be ok.  I now have another year to work on it for 2020.  By the way, does anyone know when Jim Neff's next birthday is?
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Jay

• ITSA Jr.
    • Miamisburg Whirled Festival of Tops
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »

I have the final vids posted now... this playlist includes

Whirled Festival of Tops Battles
Wild Top Accessories
Juggling
The Battle with Lombok Gasings
Spin the Bottle
Signature Throws
Jim Neff Wire Walker
and Misc Top Fun

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYwPQn2nGjNRld4CF5QvU03ZNrxPYPSom

The easiest way to find everything is to simply go to the main Top page... Pics and vids going back to 2005

www.miamisburg.org/tops.htm

and if you forget all of those links, you can always go to my main website... there is always a Tops link on the left :)

www.miamisburg.org/index.htm

Thanks again for all of the fun and nice comments...  see everyone next year :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »

Wow, Jay! It's almost like living it all again! You got me finally catching the bow and arrow launched top . . .  and all the previous misses!  ::)

Did you get Jim holding the 7 spinning tops simultaneously? If you didn't, I remember Rachel taking photos. That's a hint Rachel, we want to see your photos too!  :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #124 on: August 30, 2019, 11:46:24 AM »

Larry and Cuper could not come, but with their donations made nats better for all of us lucky enough to make it: THANKS!

For some reason, I want to caption this: "spintop cowboy"  ;)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #125 on: August 30, 2019, 03:07:14 PM »

I really love this pic, and yes for the subtitle :)
I dream of throwing a top as big as my head... this looks very fun and dangerous :)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:42:23 PM by ta0 »
Spinning is life!!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #126 on: August 30, 2019, 11:52:59 PM »

Many thanks to many people.  Thanks again to Larry D. For those great gasing spinners.  I was surprised how quickly everyone went to those and tried spinning them.  They were a big hit.

Many thanks to Marco Palma for those wonderful little Cuper tops.  The kids were all smiles with them and they look great at the church in our gold display case.  The t-shirts were well received, also.

Jay, you are the best.  You take so much time to record so many things for us.  I always miss some good stuff because I am running around working on things.  You capture what I miss so I feel like I was a part of it all.

Cecil asked who was in that picture from before the competition.  Here is my best effort at getting all the names.  From left to right - John Buechele, Mike Hickerson, Eli Hickerson, Austen Hickerson and Renee.  Kneeling in the front is Kirk, Jim Neff and Mark Hayward.  Continuing on in the back after Renee is johnm (John Markus), mailman Don, ta0 Jorge Alcoz, butterfingers Dave, MarkLeithead, me (Earl of Whirl Mike Hout and SpinLynn.  And, of course, Jay took the picture.  It is a good crew.  Kirk's wife Rachel is not in there but she is a spinner and I don't want to forget Betsy, the faithful partner of Renee who was a good sport all weekend even though she does not spin as much as the rest of us.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:55:57 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

Kirk

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #127 on: August 31, 2019, 12:19:13 AM »

Wow! It all went by so very fast!  We are finally back home and trying to get caught up on all the things left behind whilst visiting and spinning.  It was a great time, as always.  Somehow this year was a bit different as we did not seem to have quite as many chances to just chat and goof off.  However it was cool to see Rene and Dave learn it so fast.  I looked back at an old post https://www.ta0.com/forum/index.php?topic=4151.0 and remembered how look it took me to learn to regen.

A fun highlight was a hug on Sunday morning from a little girl that I coached on Saturday before the battles.

There are too many well deserved words of thanks needed and too little time to write.  Of course our grand host Mike deserves lots of thanks for all his work and encouragement.  Also thanks to the congregation of St. Jacobs for allowing us to drop tops on their nice floor.

Speaking of the floor,  I think St. Jacobs has the loudest floor on which to drop a top!  Each drop is like an unnerving  scream "You dropped it!"  (sort of like a border guard)  Perhaps I should practice tops at the shooting range :)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #128 on: August 31, 2019, 09:00:52 AM »

Thanks for your thanks, Kirk.  You and Rachel have been faithful supporters of the Whirled Fest and I can't imagine these last years without you.  I believe the young gal who gave you a hug is Isla.  She and her brother Evan are little geniuses and we are fortunate to have them around these parts.

Yes, the time flew by.  It always amazes me how time moves in a different way when we are all together. 

Funny you should mention that floor in our fellowship hall.  The acoustics are just right to highlight a dropped top but it is also not as solid as some other floors.  After all, it was constructed over 150 years ago.  Parts of the floor give more than other parts and I like to highlight that with foot stomping during music.  Also, when they put in the new ceiling it added to the reverberation as it did not absorb as much sound as before.

By the way, thanks again for your kind words of thanks to the congregation.  It means a lot to these folks and the nice note you wrote last time was read at a council meeting, at a congregational meeting and was published in our newsletter!

CUPER

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
« Reply #129 on: August 31, 2019, 11:55:46 AM »

Gracias a ti mi amigo mike los trompos cuper y las camisas para ese gran festival espero elmotro año asistir con equipo cuper y la asociación mexicana de trompo y Felicidades cada año por el evento ...saludos a todos

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #130 on: August 31, 2019, 05:50:16 PM »

Gracias, mi amigo Marco.  Miamisburg loco como trompo.  Cuper trompos fantastico.

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #131 on: September 05, 2019, 09:23:21 AM »

Ha! Mark, you'll be telling the story of how you had to do a spintop demo to the US border agents for a long time!  :D

I didn't see this photo on Jay's album, so here you are with Autograph:

Thanks a lot Jorge for posting the pic! You are right I did not see this one. I appreciate you posting it (the amount of happiness on my face is a direct function of the amount of effort put in to get it spinning lol).

Ha ha!!!  Mark, living the dream of every top spinner.  Having to demonstrate what his spinning equipment is all about. 

That is true Mike and Jorge, I am lucky and honoured they wanted to check it out haha. I just wish I left a better impression for them. I was going to grab the bearing top from my trunk, but I just wanted to make it across that border lol.

The Spin Top Hall of Fame is an amazing place and I was delighted to be there to see all the historic tops, photos, games, and things I’ve never seen before. Incredible to see and so many great things. The Don Olney collection strengthens the exhibit and brings everything together in my opinion, as does his books and games. Speaking of collection, seeing the Hall inspired me to put together a bit of my collection (some items might be recognizable by forum members).

As a video was posted of the Hall, I thought I would share an image of it too. In the photo you can see that Austen apparently has an abnormally large foot that I had missed before, and johnm’s secret sine-wave rapid top winding technique.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2019, 03:05:23 PM by MarkLeithead »

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #132 on: September 05, 2019, 11:50:24 PM »

Hey, I really like that picture of the Hall of Fame.  Thanks for posting that, Mark.  It is usually too much to understand in one shot and when I show people two or three photos they can't quite grasp everything.  That one picture gives it a great look and an overall terrific feel!!!  Thanks, I can really use that.

It was an honor to have you in the hall, Mark.  You might be our first Canadian visitor.  At least, you are the first I remember!!!

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #133 on: September 10, 2019, 03:22:37 PM »

Cool! Very hono(u)red to be there!!

SpinLynn

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2019, 10:34:05 PM »

I am watching the videos and grinning ear to ear. Can we repeat this all tomorrow?
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up