YES
- 8 (42.1%)
NO
- 8 (42.1%)
Won't know until close to the date
- 3 (15.8%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Linked Events

• National Spin Top Championship at the Whirled Festival of To: August 24, 2019

Author Topic: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24  (Read 22002 times)

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
Re: National Spin Top Championship - 2019 - Miamisburg OH - August 24
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2019, 11:44:50 AM »

Hope people do not come on the 25th!!!  I guess if they show up a day late I will be happy to throw tops with them.
Guess someone should have them correct that.

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2019, 12:54:53 PM »

I have the most recent fantastic gift from Larry D.  It is a full set of gasing Indonesian tops all set for a bullseye game.  Maybe Larry would like to tell us about it?

Those tops are stunning! I watched the video and it looks like a great way to injury a friend or crush your own ankle. I really liked how the spectators hid behind building supports while the top was being thrown at the target. The top traveled a considerable distance before it came to rest.

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2019, 04:39:17 PM »

I have the most recent fantastic gift from Larry D.  It is a full set of gasing Indonesian tops all set for a bullseye game.

Those look dangerous, and fun.  Can't wait to give it a try.
Are you also going to get out the Chinese whip top? 

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2019, 05:56:47 PM »

The Chinese whip top is here!!!  Our sign is up in our fellowship hall.  Five skittle tables have been moved from the hall of fame to the church hall along with an assortment of Don's tops. 

There is more good news and a little bad news.  The insurance thing is taken care of and the $25 for the use of the stage is paid.  But I just found out our Bullwinkle space last year is taken.  We can do what we can to take over a corner of the restaurant so we can have an area for our after dinner speaker.

By the way, when picking up a bit in the backyard I ran across the broken top piece of one of those crazy Toysmith tops that we had in a piñata.  How many years ago was that?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 06:03:14 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2019, 09:25:53 PM »

Figaro and me are arriving tomorrow night to the burg. Top fun ahead!  8)

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2019, 10:20:31 AM »

You guys have to get some Bill's Doughnuts from Centerville. I would come back just for them. The sour cream ones are worth the trip. :)

SpinLynn

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »

What time do people begin showing up on Saturday?

Mark Leithead

• ITSA
« Reply #52 on: August 23, 2019, 11:37:38 AM »

Sadly I will not be able to attend.

You will be missed there Dave!

I'm coming this weekend!!! I'm thrilled!

Nice!!

I’m excited!!!

Likewise!!

I have the most recent fantastic gift from Larry D.  It is a full set of gasing Indonesian tops all set for a bullseye game.

Those look dangerous, and fun.  Can't wait to give it a try.
Are you also going to get out the Chinese whip top? 

These look awesome.

What time do people begin showing up on Saturday?

Yes this info would be useful for me too. I am arriving sometime tonight!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #53 on: August 23, 2019, 12:17:19 PM »

Somebody said they might be in town as early as 4pm.  I can be around if anyone wants to hang out on Friday evening, before or after supper.  If you want to just leave your stuff here and walk around town, that is also a possibility.  Last year I was floored as more and more people showed up Friday evening and we had one heck of a time from 8-10 with over twenty spinners around.  Obviously, it will not be like that this year but I think we could have a sizeable crew here on Friday evening.  As I mentioned before, I am putting out skittle boards and an assortment of Don Olney tops and games for people here on Friday.  Of course, they will also be out on Saturday.

Speaking of Saturday, I think the amazing johnm likes to arrive around 9am and then people arrive when they please.  We usually have people heading off for something to eat around noon to one or so.  Of course, nationals are at 3 in the fellowship hall of our church and we will move down to the Riverfront park and stage for the 5-8 festivities there.

Hope that gives you some good information.

The address of St. Jacob Lutheran Church is 213 E. Central Avenue in beautiful historic downtown Miamisburg.  My home address is 317 E. Pearl St. in Miamisburg, Ohio.

I see I just got a text from Mark Hayward.  He says he will be arriving around 6:30 or 7:00!!!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 06:46:24 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2019, 04:53:57 PM »

Mailman is in town! 1st throw of 2019 is in the record books.

YouTube link

https://youtu.be/vc7Am2400j8

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #55 on: August 23, 2019, 06:36:55 PM »

Good job!!!  You beat me again.  Butterfingers and Mailman figured out it is their fifth year at the Miamisburg fest.  Congratulations on your fine achievement!

It is now 6:30 and we have been playing out here for over an hour.  We have been giving some "love marks" to the gasing tops.  We are getting the hang of it so I am predicting some crazy competitions/battles tomorrow.  Eight people are here but the party hasn't started because Mark Hayward is not here.  He is scheduled to arrive soon.  Ta0 is also coming this evening and who knows what other surprises are headed our way.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2019, 11:31:33 PM »

I got to the church close to 10 PM and in the parking lot I could already tell there were special people inside: Jim's car with the big spinning contraption on the roof was there. In addition to Mike and Jim, Mark H., Renee and John B. were there. We did not throw tops, but we did spin some interesting finger ones and talk about tops and top people.
Tomorrow will be a top day!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2019, 11:50:12 PM »

Jim Neff and Butterfingers were on a roll tonight.  They had a lot of ideas on their mind.  I played my melodica while Mailman strummed the ukelele and the other two were busy with shenanigans.  I will let them tell you about wirewalkers.  Renee and Betsy visited Ron's pizza but it was a busy time and they had a long wait.  Sorry!!!  When they came back, somehow the door to my office was open and they all got into my stash of items for children's sermons.  I know they think I am crazy but I have to do 50 children's sermons a year and then there is Sunday School and Day Camp.  I need all that stuff.

John Boo-shell (also pronounced like uniquely) was trying everything he could tonight including some juggling clubs.  I hardly see any of that kind of activity during top spinning weekend.  Butterfingers and I had some fun making some music.  A number of people got an opportunity to use my IKEA bowl and kept things spinning for a long time. Ptolemy's top was a hit, even without a string.  Many of us snacked on goodies and chatted to the wee hours of the morning before heading to bed.  Sounds like some will be around the church at 9am tomorrow.

http://chesswanks.com/blahg/odo/Blog/Entries/2009/1/23_If_Im_the_bottom.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:28:05 AM by the Earl of Whirl »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2019, 08:17:34 AM »

It's early in the morning at Mike's house and everybody either is still sleeping or already left. I just step out to the backyard and locked myself out. Fortunately, I have some company:

;D >:D

The new door to the Hall of Fame:

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2019, 08:43:07 AM »

https://youtu.be/mPDvQMlzEmE
Stopped at the Cincinnati Art Museum on the way up to Miamisburg, to see the Burning Man exhibit.  The security guard remembered his dad making a top for him as a kid, so he let me spin my top in the museum.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »   Go Up