iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: walkin' a mile with my top  (Read 7799 times)

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
Re: walkin' a mile with my top
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2019, 06:55:17 PM »

- Hey, Mike! I was excited to see this post from you. With the weather warming up it's time for me to start my daily walks. I have been walking along the Erie canal now for a few years. I take a small banjo or one of my ukuleles with me when I go. It's a great way to practice playing while standing up and forces me to look away from the fretboard. I will admit it's a weird thing to do. People tend to smile when I play the ukulele. Not so much when I have the banjo. The reaction I get from folks is about 50% smiles and 50% avoid eye contact completely. I often scare the wild animals. Geese hate me. Deer seem to be curious and stare before they run away. I have had several interesting conversations with people who stopped to chat with me and there has been occasional applause from the other side of the canal as I go by.

Here's a pic I took a while back to give you an idea of what the canal looks like.

When I go early in the morning the guy who runs the local pizza joint calls me the wandering minstrel. His dog likes to bark at me.

- I have not considered taking a top with me when I walk. I think I'll give it a try.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 09:18:48 AM »

Thanks for your response, butterfingers.  I have been thinking about walking with a ukelele, since you mentioned it, and I am convinced it has a lot of potential.  I will give it a try someday soon.

I did not realize you live near the canal.  My home and church are also near the old canal.  In fact, they are starting neighborhood watch groups and our area name is "the canal district."

As far as top walking goes, I can report that I am slowly working it into my routine.  The short circuit is a very durable top and it is easy to keep in the pocket of my jacket or my pants pocket.  I have pulled it out for half mile sessions enough times to be over 3 miles of walking and I find it very helpful when doing stairs.  They go so much easier as I am thinking about the top and not the pain in my legs.  So far I have gone over a hundred flights with a top spinning in my hand.  I am continually surprised at how many people are more willing to talk about tops when they see me walking.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2019, 09:26:06 AM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2019, 05:42:15 PM »

The hot weather breaks this weekend.  Time to do some walking with my top OUTSIDE!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2021, 11:44:51 PM »

I walked a mile in the local gym with a finger spinner.  Lots of stopping and respinning but I did it in 21:11.6.  I made sure I was only moving when the top was spinning and I was using one of Don Olney’s button factory tops.  It was an interesting challenge and I may try it again.

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2021, 02:57:15 AM »

After reading this thread I have decided to attempt walking (running probably wouldn't work) one or two miles while doing rollercoasters or drumbeats. (Joker choker woud be too easy) I have some experience in this sort of thing- the time I hit 1000 rollercoasters was walking around  the house.  :D

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2021, 09:38:16 AM »

After reading this thread I have decided to attempt walking (running probably wouldn't work) one or two miles while doing rollercoasters or drumbeats. (Joker choker woud be too easy) I have some experience in this sort of thing- the time I hit 1000 rollercoasters was walking around  the house.  :D
You are the man. I never hit 1000 roller coasters. The one time I tried my body began to ache at about 500. I would say the challenge is a young person's thing, but The Earl would correct me!  ;D

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2021, 04:49:40 PM »

Go Texture!!!  Lots of creative possibilities out there.  Thanks for dreaming with me!!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2021, 07:33:39 PM »

Yippee!!!  I now have another top usage for my backyard.  I am getting more and more excited every day about calling it Topland.  With specific turns it can be 30 yards long and I can go back and forth to walk a mile with my top, which is what I just did with a little Don Olney button factory top.  Yes, with it being a finger spinner there was a lot of stopping and going (like what I did in the gym) but it was definitely a full mile.  I completed the walk in 21:01.  I will call that a personal best.  I can go faster and that is what I hope will pull me into more movement and exercise.  Thank you, Topland!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 08:36:11 PM »

Go, Mike! Can we see the top?
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2021, 12:10:38 AM »

Here it is.....