iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

ITSA General Assembly: December 5th - 12th

Author Topic: I spray-painted my wooden tops!  (Read 119 times)

Hydrona

I spray-painted my wooden tops!
« on: May 12, 2019, 03:54:29 PM »

hello all,

since I've been practicing alot with my grandfathers old wooden top, it got smashed, beat-up and thrown to the floor most of the time..
so, I promised myself and my top( ;D-) that I would make it a beautiful top, once I got the boomerang trick .
i spray-painted two of my tops I got from my grandfather. I'm happy with the results! :D

first painted, then added details, and finished it with varnish.
on the green one I've painted, I decided to draw the "tree of life" the other is just my imagination of a small but cool looking top  :)

the others are spray painted too.
this is a top I got from a friend.
before and after !

We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
Re: I spray-painted my wooden tops!
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 10:21:29 PM »

Nice job Hydrona, I love the bright colors, and particularly like the “Tree of Life”.
I bet they look cool ( 8) ) spinning.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:32:53 PM »

Love the before and after pictures.  What a change!  Good work!!!  goed werk
« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 11:37:03 PM by the Earl of Whirl »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

Hydrona

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2019, 04:26:50 AM »

Thanks! 
It was not much work,  only a long drying time.
The before and after top was first treated with walnut oil. It was crazy how the wood sucked up all oil directly! 
It does have a special place in my heart   :).
I love all my tops and treat them with care.  Just thrown the Yellow one.  It got some amazing colors when spinning!  Yellow and black bands of color :)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 11:05:08 AM »

Just thrown the Yellow one.  It got some amazing colors when spinning!  Yellow and black bands of color :)

Love what you did with the white on green and yellow on black patterns! It's fun to design interesting resting patterns that also produce cool visual effects at speed.

If you have access to a variable-speed strobe light (e.g., borrowed from your local mechanic), watch both of these tops spin under the strobe as you sweep the flashing rate up and down. Then do the same with other patterned tops.

The strobe patterns are both beautiful and surprising -- and they keep changing with flashing speed all the way to 6,000 flashes per minute and beyond!

You can also get mild but still interesting strobe effects under LED lamps on wall dimmers. These flash faster than you can normally see for dimming purposes but interact with spinning patterned tops in cool ways. (Incandescent lights don't do this.)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2019, 12:42:46 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO