iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Floor safe tip ?!  (Read 4405 times)

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
Floor safe tip ?!
« on: April 05, 2019, 05:35:04 AM »

Hey guys, I was thinking about this yesterday, has anyone with a lathe ever tried to do a floor safe tip... Playing heavy regenerative tricks, I barely never put the top in my hand, so as far as I'm concerned the tip could be completly flat... and made of a softer material ( like reinforced delrin ) or smth.

Anyway, has that been done before ? With a lot of patience I probably could mod a spintastic brass tip and flatten it a LOT. Problem is that I don't have any lathe and my drill chuck is old and woobly so I woudlnt' use a dremel on it... and it's still in metal...

Do you guys have any ideas ?
paxl
Spinning is life!!!!

Jack

• Demigod member
Re: Floor safe tip ?!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2019, 07:51:29 PM »

yeah i know the struggle, just moved into a new apartment with brand new wood floor......the only top i can play with indoors now is a yyf short circuit. and that being said yyf made tips from delrin that werent reinforced so that could be an option eh.
i think no matter what you do to that brass tip its gonna damage the floor at the very least dent wood/laminate and potentially crack and chip tile

sad bussiness eh

N7TCP

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 10:51:15 PM »

Or, you could just learn to love Lissajous figures
all over your floor as an artistic enhancement.
"Fancy work", as it were.

Dick Stohr

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2019, 09:20:22 AM »

How about going to Harbor Freight and getting Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set 4 Pc Item #62389 Only: $8.99
Practice hard and play safe.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »

The YYF Throwbacks had the most forgiving tips:

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2019, 11:28:15 AM »

How about going to Harbor Freight and getting Anti-Fatigue Foam Mat Set 4 Pc Item #62389 Only: $8.99

Yep, that's the kind of solution I use at my home where if I miss it's not a big deal! If I break that floor, there could be cost!!

The YYF Throwbacks had the most forgiving tips:

Aww man, this is kind of exactly what I had in mind! That said the Throwback looks amazing!!!

As for my solution, I'll just play outside on asphalt and hope for the best with my 3d printed top!

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2019, 11:29:59 AM »

yeah i know the struggle, just moved into a new apartment with brand new wood floor......the only top i can play with indoors now is a yyf short circuit. and that being said yyf made tips from delrin that werent reinforced so that could be an option eh.
i think no matter what you do to that brass tip its gonna damage the floor at the very least dent wood/laminate and potentially crack and chip tile

sad bussiness eh

I packed in my short-circuit! I'll see if it does any damage to the floor

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2019, 01:35:49 PM »

I packed in my short-circuit! I'll see if it does any damage to the floor

The short circuit can definitely damage laminate.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2019, 04:20:41 PM »

If you're more concerned about getting caught than the actual damage done, your best bet might be to set up a kid or sibling or dog or repairman as the fall guy. >:D

Or just deny, deny, deny...
https://youtube.com/watch?v=Cl74NrP_f7Q
« Last Edit: April 06, 2019, 04:30:23 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2019, 12:56:00 PM »

why not buy a yoga mat or a chunk of carpet to use while you spin? It would protect the floor and you could just roll it up and put it away when you're done. There would be an added benefit of protecting the top from damage as well. I noticed that Dick Stohr recommended the same thing - it would be a simple solution.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2019, 01:12:17 PM »

why not buy a yoga mat or a chunk of carpet to use while you spin? It would protect the floor and you could just roll it up and put it away when you're done. There would be an added benefit of protecting the top from damage as well. I noticed that Dick Stohr recommended the same thing - it would be a simple solution.

Like I said, This works for my house where if the floor is damage b/c I drop elsewhere than on the carpet it's okay. Here problem is that nothing can really pad a QSH falling straight on it tip :)

But I'll find a way to spin =) Belive me!
Thanks for the suggestion tho yalls!

paxl

Neff

• ITSA Jr.
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 04:25:20 PM »

IMO carpet tile is better than any kind of foam mat... when a spinning top lands sideways on foam it shoots of with some descent speed and wall or ankle damage is likely. Where I live there is a construction materials thrift store that has it cheap.

Rayos

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2019, 08:45:38 AM »

Get yourself a poly plastic saucer sled https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Sled-Disc-Saucer-Molded-Grip-Handles-Diamond-Polished-Bottom-Durable-26/153222249241?hash=item23acc1fb19:g:g4AAAOSwz5hbxz0G
You can also get 36 inch diameter fiberglass ones but they cost about $150, you can spin your tops on these on top of the floor without damaging it, and just lean it against a wall or put it in the closet when not in use.

Jospin

• ITSA
  • Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2019, 10:49:40 AM »

Get yourself a poly plastic saucer sled https://www.ebay.com/itm/Snow-Sled-Disc-Saucer-Molded-Grip-Handles-Diamond-Polished-Bottom-Durable-26/153222249241?hash=item23acc1fb19:g:g4AAAOSwz5hbxz0G
You can also get 36 inch diameter fiberglass ones but they cost about $150, you can spin your tops on these on top of the floor without damaging it, and just lean it against a wall or put it in the closet when not in use.
I'd definitely need something bigger than 36", things can get crazy when trying some of Jorge's tricks... or really anyone's tricks ha ha.

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:09 AM »

I'd definitely need something bigger than 36", things can get crazy when trying some of Jorge's tricks... or really anyone's tricks ha ha.

yep... I need kind of whole floor covering when playing heavly with regenerations... some time stuff happens... and well... top flys out :P
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up