iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Mark Hayward whirls into Miamisburg for one wild spinning weekend!!!  (Read 4954 times)

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page

I have been wanting to post but life has been so exciting and thrilling I have not had an opportunity to sit down at the computer.  Mark Hayward whirled into our town for a yo-yo event at our church (quite possibly the only yo-yo event in Ohio in the past couple of years) and the place has been spinning with activity and fun all weekend.

Our dream is to have a yo-yo day every year opposite our late August top spinning competition.  Mark has given us a solid foundation upon which to build this second event.  The yo-yo may have been the reason to get together but it was the top that was always in the back of our minds.  What a thrill to see his collection of trompos along with Chubby.  John Buechele showed up for a couple hours of spinning action on Saturday.  Then Mark and I chatted into the wee hours of the morning about whirled news of the world.

I have so many things to talk about but I think I will allow some space for my old body to recover a bit.  Someone else can comment while I am catching my breath!!!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:42:23 PM by Mike Hout »
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Mark Hayward whirls into Miamisburg for one wild spinning weekend!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2010, 05:30:39 PM »

Am I the last one who is going to visit the Spintop Hall of Fame?  ???
Actually, it feels like I have been there already  :D

Did Mark let you throw Chubby?

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »

I must have thrown Chubby....what....at least a hundred times?  Maybe two hundred?  Or was it two thousand?

Oh, and as far as the Top Spinning Hall of Fame: you may feel like you have already been there but it is constantly changing.  Therefore, each visit is a new experience.  Many exciting new plans are in the works for the coming year!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2010, 07:41:13 PM by Mike Hout »

johnm

• Ultrahero member
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »

Nice Mike, you are really driving the spin revolution in Ohio!

Yo-yos must be getting re-popular as I was at Walmart a couple weeks ago and checked for tops but only found yo-yos--but lots of Duncan yo-yos.  Probably nine or ten hooks full of Imperials and Butterflys for $3 each and one hook of Mosquitos for $6 each ($3 less than the Duncan website!!  ???) where in the past I've seen one hook with two Imperials.

I grabbed a Mosquito just to say I have a bearing yo-yo and actually read the package only to realize that Duncan Toys Co is in Middlefield, OHIO.  Was Mark at your event in an offical Duncan capacity?  Seems like Duncan may have an interest in what may be the largest (if not only) spintop and yo-yo events in their 'home' state.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2010, 09:10:18 AM »

Walmart?  Interesting!  I haven't noticed that in our area.  But we do have a local hobby shop that started stocking yo-yos (and even a couple of tops).  I asked them how sales were and they said "surprisingly good".

Sharp eyes, johnm, with the Middlefield, Ohio connection.  I see that is up near Cleveland.  That's about three hours from here but it might be a nice trip someday to see their shop and beg for more top production!

John Buechele

• ITSA Jr.
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 10:06:59 AM »

What an honor it was to be able to throw tops and yo-yos with a world champion. I had a great time hanging out with Mike and Mark, and I appreciate Mark taking some time to help a beginning yo-yoer learn a few tricks.

As for the video's it is up to the other subjects involved as to whether they should go straight to ta0 for the 3rd video or if they should appear on youtube first.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »

Yeah! Contributions by Mike, John and Mark to the 3rd collective video!   8) 8) 8)  I just got a second set from Neff. This should be the best video of the series!

The clips don't have to be unpublished so you are free to post them on youtube if you wish. Of course, I prefer they are seen for the first time on the collective video, but some will and some will not. It also depends on the surprise factor of the clip itself (think on Figaro knocking down the fence).

poptop

• ITSA Jr.
  • Hyperhero member
  • top dropper
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2010, 12:26:47 PM »

Sounds like you guys had a blast!  Nice to have a class-act like Mark help anchor the event.  I too hope to make the pilgramage to the hall someday...

I've seen the same group of Duncan yo-yos at Wally-Marts over the past year or so--ususlly can find speed bettles at Toys-r-Us too.  I often ask about tops, but typically get the blank stare.  (I'm also surprised how frequently folks mistake tops for yo-yos.)
Erratic Wobbler

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2010, 03:50:44 PM »

Mark is special and has a great way with people.  Everyone loves him wherever he goes.  It was not only good to hang out with him but it was also good to pick his brain.  He is so creative.  One comment he had really got me to thinking.  We need a big sign for the Top Spinning Hall of fame......one that people can have their picture taken with!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 07:17:38 PM »

Miamisburg was fun!  There's nothing like getting free drinks at the local bar because you're hanging out with the Pastor.  It was really fun to see Mike in his official capacity, which was surprisingly the same as how he is when we all hang out, only he had on nicer clothes.

Here are some photos of our raucous time:

It's the TOP hat bistro... get it?

That's right... I may not be the first visitor, but I'm the first one to get my photo taken in front of the sign! 
(You'd be bleary-eyed too if you'd been up all night carousing with Pastor Mike.)

I couldn't resist stopping for a waffle snack on the way home.  It was delicious.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
the triple crown of Miamisburg top spinning!
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2010, 09:29:47 AM »

After some thought, I have realized that Mark also is the first to experience the triple crown of Miamisburg top spinning!  He not only ate at Bullwinkle's Top Hat, visited the Top Spinning Hall of Fame but he also went to the "top" of the steeple at my church.  Congratulations Mark!!!

ps...I love your picture at Waffle House.  Your serious expression says "Don't even think about getting in my way - I love my waffles!"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2010, 09:40:39 AM »

The Hall looks like really hard core. Yes, you definitely need a nice sign of it (maybe with a hole to put the head through and and an arrow saying: spintop target practice  ;D )

but he also went to the "top" of the steeple at my church.
Wow! I want!

MarkHayward

• ITSA
    • www.markhayward.net
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2010, 09:50:00 AM »

Yeah, seeing the inside of the steeple was totally awesome!  I didn't mention it before because I didn't want to get in any trouble with the law.  We didn't make it quite all the way up to the highest point because it was going to be a scary, no-safety-rail, below freezing, backwards-leaning ladder-climb in the dark, but we made it pretty far up for sure.  Maybe next time... when it's light out.... and not winter.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2010, 08:30:44 PM »

We are in trouble now!  The law has internet access and they have been coming to my house to arrest me.  I fought the law but the.....law won.  (singing) I fought the law and the......law won.  Wait, I'm the law in the area of St. Jacob steeple climbing.  The law coming to my house must have been one of my crazy dreams, just like the crazy dream of me doing well at the world top spinning championships.

I told Mark next time he needs to bring some old clothes for the final climb.  That steeple is really dirty (and scary).  I haven't been up there for nearly ten years.

I'm glad he got out of town on Sunday morning.  It started snowing after that and it hasn't stopped for more than an hour here and an hour there.  School has been called off for the last couple of days and the piles of shoveled snow are twenty feet tall in some places.

Don Olney.....did you notice the top Mark was holding in the Hall of Fame picture?

silvertop

• ITSA Honor
  • Don Olney does his top show in Upstate New York
    • Toy Designer and Spinning Top Collector
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »

Mike - thanks for pointing out my top -- I'm looking for the mold I had made for that top, but haven't found it.  I do have the rotational molding machine though.  If I can find the mold, more tops could be made from it... they look cool, but need a lot of balancing to work nicely.

Mark - You are right.  Mike is just who he is.  Only the clothes change!  I still can't believe how long it has been since I was in Miamisburg, or since I saw Mike in person.  I'd probably go to Church a lot more if I lived there!  Jesus would love this guy!  I guess the deal is that he loves everybody?  But you know what I mean!
Don Olney
1237 E. Main St.
Rochester, NY 14609
topman@rochester.rr.com