iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: visit at Cyril's Feb 2019  (Read 4218 times)

jim in paris

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
visit at Cyril's Feb 2019
« on: February 08, 2019, 10:47:43 AM »

it was a fun fun day !
https://youtu.be/Yslki8mn-ZU

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: visit at Cyril's Feb 2019
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2019, 11:22:37 AM »

Thanks for the video Jim!
Some of the displays look different than when I was there last time.
I'll try to post something from that visit this weekend.

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2019, 05:36:55 PM »

That's a very interesting collection. Many vintage items and some that border on 'artifact' or 'antiquity' - but I think that may be a matter of perspective that I bring to this as an American. I think other countries have a different idea of what 'really old' means.

Thank you for sharing. There were several items I had never seen before.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2019, 11:19:39 AM »

Many vintage items and some that border on 'artifact' or 'antiquity' - but I think that may be a matter of perspective that I bring to this as an American. I think other countries have a different idea of what 'really old' means.
There are plenty of antiques there, even for old European eyes.

At the beginning of the second video I can hear Jose asking about the value of a top doll with a silk dress that he also has (from Don's collection, I guess). Cyril says that it depends on the condition, but with Cyril's estimate of 500 euros I don't think he is going to let his daughters play with it . . .

The canes with top launchers are quite incredible!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2019, 11:22:46 AM by ta0 »

jmadrigal

• ITSA Jr.
  • Superhero member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2019, 12:38:51 PM »

I am not a collector. I knew the doll was old but didn't have any info on it. I just picked up a memento for my daughter from my trip to Ohio. Seeing that he had the same type doll I figured he would know about it. It is a nice piece but I don't see my self seeking out more collectables. I will however teach my daughter to cherish it and will serve as a nice memory.

On this trip I picked up nesting dolls for both my daughters from Ludo's table. My younger daughter is playing with it as I write this.

Mermouy

• ITSA
  • Spintop lover, spinning since 2015...
    • Spintop Tips and Tricks
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 05:00:35 PM »

The canes with top launchers are quite incredible!

We can't see here but on the light brown/orange one, the handle is actually a top that just popup and looks like a small "bouchon" top then, inside the tube of the cane you find the small whip to play with... Just magic!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 01:31:42 AM »

I've pored over Jim's excellent videos of previous visits to Cyril's collection countless times looking for antique designs to emulate/extend with LEGO. These videos encouraged my focus on mechanical tops and starters and on tops with striking optical effects in motion.

I knew that Cyril's collection abounded in such things. The examples from German toymaker Märklin are especially impressive.

But nothing prepared me for the depth and breadth of what I saw in person. The great creativity, time, effort, and skill devoted to the top over the centuries make clear just how special this toy has been, both through time and around the globe.
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 12:19:39 AM »

I finally made a video of my visit to Cyril's collection a year ago. Actually, of just the tables  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLd4vsp74SY
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 11:48:46 AM by ta0 »

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 01:29:45 AM »

I wish the overdubbed music was softer so we could hear the natural sound of each table.  I really like the ringing sounds of the third table, around the 2 minute mark.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 07:22:24 AM »

Did I count seven spin top tables at Cyril's?  That is fantastic.  I always knew he had one big one but that shot of the whole room and all that whirling fun is amazing!!!
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2019, 11:48:35 AM »

I wish the overdubbed music was softer so we could hear the natural sound of each table.  I really like the ringing sounds of the third table, around the 2 minute mark.
You are 100% right. I re-uploaded the video with no background music and enhanced volume  ;)

Did I count seven spin top tables at Cyril's?  That is fantastic.  I always knew he had one big one but that shot of the whole room and all that whirling fun is amazing!!!
I count seven tables in the room, plus the skittles from the English castle on the floor and the table just outside the room.
The video missed action on two tables: the small one in the middle and the one that belonged to a young Louis XVI, before he lost his head with Marie Antoinette. I couldn't convince Cyril to play on the royal table and I don't blame him!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2019, 12:18:24 PM »

You are 100% right. I re-uploaded the video with no background music and enhanced volume  ;)

Thank you!  That is so much better!!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 03:32:16 PM »

A top table owned by Louis the XVI???  Wow!!!  I talked with Don Olney and we were both marveling at this top history.

So, the infamous king from French revolutionary times played with tops.  So many other famous people through the years have played with tops.  It is just not documented anywhere who all these people were.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:43:42 PM by the Earl of Whirl »

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 03:53:56 PM »

And many many other famous people through the years have played with tops.

Besides me, I know of these examples from science...

James Clerk Maxwell, arguably the greatest physicist of the 19th century, played with tops throughout his life. He also put them to very good use as scientific instruments -- e.g., when he founded the modern theory of color vision.

There's also a famous photo of Neils Bohr and Wolfgang Pauli, arguably two of the most famous physicists of the 20th century, bent over a tippe top on the floor in total fascination ca. 1920, I think.

No idea how often these two played with tops otherwise, but ideas extended from the classical spin of a top soon became the abstract quantum spin of a large class of elementary particles, including the electron. Quantum spin is now a cornerstone of quantum mechanics.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:56:49 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Pages: 1 2 »  All   Go Up