iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!  (Read 63546 times)

Pepe

• ITSA
Re: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2019, 07:43:53 AM »

Every few minutes, the  people at the corner table pumped their fists in the air and shouted, "51 days!". Finally, the bartender had to ask,
"What are you folks celebrating?"
"Just the biggest jigsaw puzzle ever!"
"So what's with the 51 days?"
"Oh, that's how long it took us!"
"Hmmm, is that good?"
"Well, heck yeah! It said 4 to 6 years on the box!"

I'll let myself out...

Link to the jigsaw puzzle ???

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:34 AM »

I just noticed that Renee's says Hours of Fun from 6 to 60. I think many on this forum would strongly contest that upper limit  :D
I read that several times on the package, and it never dawned on me that it applied to me.  On the days when I don't feel like 90, I have trouble believing I'm over 60.  Where did the time go?!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2019, 05:11:31 PM »

Apparently this is the same manufacturer that made a clacker type toy called Ker-Bangers that were banned because they exploded and caused injury.  I wonder if the go-go top and spin-bangers were made from the leftover ker-bangers balls?

https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/1985/dangerous-toys-seized-by-us-marshal-in-phoenix
Dangerous Toys Seized By U.S. Marshal In Phoenix
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE   
December 10, 1985   
Release # 85-065

The United States Consumer Product Safety Commission announced that on December 6, the United States Marshal's Office in Phoenix, Arizona seized almost 4,600 banned "clacker ball" toys. The toys, labeled "KER-BANGERS," are a hand-held novelty item consisting of two plastic balls connected by a cord to a plastic handle. When the hand is raised and lowered, the balls "clack" or bang against each other in an arc. Despite the claim on the package that the "KER-BANGERS" are "SHATTERPROOF," when the Consumer Product Safety Commission tested these toys, the balls either shattered or cracked. In addition, many of the handles broke. Consumers who have "KER-BANGERS" should promptly throw them away.

The toys were the seized at the premises of a wholesaler, Empire Novelty & Concession Supply, Inc. 2213 East Indian School Road, Phoenix, Arizona. Empire Novelty is voluntarily recalling the toys from its customers, who are retailers. The "KER-BANGERS" were shipped from California and, according to the label, were manufactured by Chuck Howard Toy Co. of Inglewood, California. The manufacturer is no longer in business.

Clacker balls were a popular toy in the early 1970's. To prevent injuries from fragmentation of the balls or from propulsion of the parts upon sudden disassembly during use, they are subject to a regulation enforced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which requires them to pass specific durability tests.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 09:05:35 PM by Renee »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2019, 11:00:37 AM »

Wow! :o Great info!
I bet you are right! I wonder if the same balls that were banned from clackers would have been legal for tops.
But I guess for collectors this makes the tops more interesting.  ;)

The Shatterproof claim proved to be a slight exaggeration, like the claim of the longest spin in the world  ;D

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2019, 06:01:02 PM »

I couldn't get a good spin outside on the asphalt driveway.  The rough surface kills the spin before it can stand up.  I tried it on a 4x5 foot piece of Masonite, but the heavy solid top travels too far for that small of a space.  So, I went back to the kitchen where the very first time I threw it, I got a perfect spin but no video, of course.  Trying to throw it like you would a regular top for a spinner, it kept banging into the cabinets but would eventually spin.  I found the best spin I got was throwing it horizontal like for a trapeze.

ta0 - I've scarred mine up pretty good because I plan to just play with it and enjoy it while it lasts.  But, I was very careful taking the tag/label off the bag.  If you would like just the label for your collection, let me know.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2019, 10:02:45 AM »

ta0 - I've scarred mine up pretty good because I plan to just play with it and enjoy it while it lasts.  But, I was very careful taking the tag/label off the bag.  If you would like just the label for your collection, let me know.
If you don't mind keeping the tag, I'll be interested in getting it the next time we meet. Thanks!

Renee

• ITSA Jr.
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2019, 03:46:41 PM »

Just picked up this game at Ollie's, on sale for $5.99.  will do an unboxing video, later

/>

PrincessTrouble

• ITSA
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2019, 04:48:21 PM »

Stainless twist damascus, Corvette Fordite, stainless steel grip sleeve by Topped Out (https://www.facebook.com/groups/232328233776670/). 

An explanation of Fordite that I cobbled together from several online articles:

As part of the automotive painting process in the "old days" (when Ford and other assembly line cars were hand sprayed), paint buildup on the skids and racks used for transporting the cars down the paint line occurred. Many layers (hundreds or even thousands) of different color overspray would build up and get repeatedly baked, forming a hardened slag, solid as some rock formations. Over time, the residue became too thick and had to be removed from the line because it ended up interfering with the painting process.  The harden paint slabs that were removed became known as Fordite, a general term for a material made up of paint layers formed during the hand spraying years in auto plants.  The phasing out of hand spraying on the assembly line began long ago and has been replaced by robots and electrostatic painting processes. The paint overspray used to create Fordite is no longer found in auto factories because of new painting technology.  The old paint that had to be chiseled off the assembly line and booths is no longer available, making Fordite very collectible, especially with jewelry makers.  From the name, we often associate Fordite with the Ford Manufacturing plant. However, it can actually come from any of the automobile manufactures that built cars during the mid-1900s, though most of it comes from the Detroit automotive plants (it's also known as Detroit Agate).

The Fordite in this top came from the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2019, 08:40:01 PM »

Good find Renee. The unboxing video should also show you playing it!

:o I was not aware of this Fordite material. Corvette Fordite, moreover.
EDC makers use the most exotic materials imaginable!
Looks beautiful!
Congrats!

cecil

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #69 on: April 22, 2019, 11:08:47 PM »

I thought some one would try a Tuolo top by now. I took mine in to show my Doctor he grew up in Taiwan. One more shot to go and maybe I can walk normal again.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 12:28:02 AM by cecil »

paxl13

• ITSA Jr.
  • Ultrahero member
    • Instagram
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2019, 09:01:31 AM »

I thought some one would try a Tuolo top by now. I took mine in to show my Doctor he grew up in Taiwan. One more shot to go and maybe I can walk normal again.

It's still winter for me man :) This will be a summer project most likely :)
Spinning is life!!!!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #71 on: April 23, 2019, 10:55:22 AM »

Stainless twist damascus, Corvette Fordite, stainless steel grip sleeve by Topped Out

Now that's a beauty! Love how the top's shaped surface cuts the 3D folds in the paint layers.

You see very similar patterns in outcrops of layered metamorphic rocks that were once buried, heated, and folded at depths of 25+ km before returning to the surface to be cut by erosion.

Thanks for the interesting background on Fordite.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2019, 11:54:33 AM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

Pepe

• ITSA
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2019, 04:47:23 AM »

***SPONSORED TOPS***

Thanks Larry D. for those amazing tuolos you are truly a top guy!!!!

***SPONSORED TOPS***

« Last Edit: May 12, 2019, 05:31:14 AM by Pepe »

Larry D.

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2019, 10:29:45 PM »

You are very welcome Pepe. 
Nice to know they are in good hands.
Thanks for giving them new life!

butterfingers

• ITSA Jr.
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2019, 12:52:01 PM »

I have two new acquisitions to report:

A surprise gift from JNeff at the RIT festival! I bought some line and I'll be working on long distance wire walkers when I can play outside.

..and, also at the RIT festival, LarryD handed me a very nice silver Siren King top. A wonderful surprise!

http://www.yoyomuseum.com/images/profiles/TopWind1.jpg

(this is a better pic than I can take - from the museum of yo yo history site)

thank you, gentlemen!