iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!  (Read 63561 times)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
Re: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!
« Reply #240 on: February 14, 2022, 11:14:45 AM »

I am in the train on the way back home from a wonderfull time at the Marines festival. Except the tops I bought as presents for the kids my wife and my friend that does the work on the lathe for me, I got those in the picture above.
Ludo gave me the red and green plastic top ( Duncan bearing King?) as a present.  I practiced already a lot with that one. Very proud to say that I manage a boomerang with  it, maybe once in five tries.
The wooden one Rocco made for me on the spot. It was a pleasure seeing him make it! In the hands of those who can, it can do all the tricks! Me being an absolute beginner who never touched a throw top until five days ago, I feel happy when I get a good spin that I can pick up from the floor with the string and land it in my hand. But I think it is a beauty.
And a big big thank you to all the best teachers I had at Marines: Jim, Rocco, Mermouy, Emanuel, Ludo, Attila, ...

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention the little self made top that Jim  gave to me. But that one is deep in the suitcase. I can not get it out for a picture just now.

Congratulations! You are now really part of this unique and obsessed tribe!  ;D

Do you really mean "boomerang"? That trick is throwing the top directly to your hand. If you throw it on the floor, the trick to get it to the hand with the string is called skyrocket.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 11:17:03 AM by ta0 »

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #241 on: February 14, 2022, 12:07:12 PM »

Yes, with the plastic top I was practicing mainly the boomerang, with the nice wooden top from Rocco the sky rocket.

In the broader world of tops, nothing's everything!  —  Jeremy McCreary

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #242 on: February 14, 2022, 12:32:38 PM »

I am in the train on the way back home from a wonderfull time at the Marines festival. Except the tops I bought as presents for the kids my wife and my friend that does the work on the lathe for me, I got those in the picture above.
Ludo gave me the red and green plastic top ( Duncan bearing King?) as a present.  I practiced already a lot with that one. Very proud to say that I manage a boomerang with  it, maybe once in five tries.
The wooden one Rocco made for me on the spot. It was a pleasure seeing him make it! In the hands of those who can, it can do all the tricks! Me being an absolute beginner who never touched a throw top until five days ago, I feel happy when I get a good spin that I can pick up from the floor with the string and land it in my hand. But I think it is a beauty.
And a big big thank you to all the best teachers I had at Marines: Jim, Rocco, Mermouy, Emmanuel, Ludo, Attila, ...

Edit: oh, I forgot to mention the little self made top that Jim  gave to me. But that one is deep in the suitcase. I can not get it out for a picture just now.

It’s great to hear that your getting into the world of peg tops!  8)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2022, 03:30:10 PM by ta0 »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #243 on: April 26, 2022, 11:13:20 PM »

I had wanted for a while a koma wrapped in kimono cloth, since I saw a couple in a museum book. I finally got one:

It's not an antique koma but just a reproduction tourist souvenir and it was priced accordingly. It's made of light wood but the cloth finish (listed as silk, but I doubt it) looks really nice.
I am not sure if the old kimono tops were meant for just display or also to be played. This was one for certain was sold just for decoration, but I couldn't resist and threw it on the floor and also boomeranged it to my hand. The balance is not good, but it works.

By the way, on the novel I wrote a few years ago, there is one of these komas, wrapped in cloth from a kimono that had belonged to the grandmother of one to the characters.  :)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #244 on: April 27, 2022, 04:15:51 PM »

.... the novel I wrote a few years ago, ...

Do you write in English or in one of the many other languages you speak?

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #245 on: April 27, 2022, 04:18:34 PM »

.... the novel I wrote a few years ago, ...
Do you write in English or in one of the many other languages you speak?
The book was written in Spanish. I do have an unpublished translation to English that still needs some proofreading, but if you are interested I can send you the pdf.

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #246 on: April 27, 2022, 04:28:50 PM »

Yes, please send it! Absolutely!

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #247 on: April 28, 2022, 01:07:41 AM »

The book was written in Spanish.

I've been considering purchasing the Spanish version to have something original in Spanish to read.  :)

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #248 on: April 28, 2022, 10:24:35 AM »

The book was written in Spanish.

I've been considering purchasing the Spanish version to have something original in Spanish to read.  :)

I'll send you an autograph copy of the book   ;)

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #249 on: April 28, 2022, 01:00:27 PM »

I'll send you an autograph copy of the book   ;)

That would really be amazing!  :D

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #250 on: July 15, 2022, 03:57:08 PM »

Since February the peg-tops I own multiplied.
Today I received the Sweetle I ordered from Chris Neff.

It is the largest top in the picture. Next to it is the wooden top that Rocco made for me and to the other side in similar colours as the Sweetle is a Blizzard that Jim In Paris sent to me.

Well, what can I say about the sweetle after the first few throws?
It is absolutely amazing! It feels great on the hand and on the string. All the tricks I can do already are so much easier to perform with this top! I like its  size, I like how long it can run with that bearing, it is easy and quick to convert it to a great fixed tip top ... 
With this top I feel I will be able to learn the tricks on my goal list a lot faster than with my other tops - be it the tricks on the bearing list or on the fixed tip list.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2022, 05:11:03 PM by ortwin »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #251 on: July 15, 2022, 06:21:21 PM »

Congratulations!

I agree with your impression of the Sweetle. I would say it's the best all-around top that's available right now.

Who would have said before you went to the festival in Marines that you would become a full-blown spintop trick player!  :)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #252 on: August 31, 2022, 04:12:49 PM »

It is the last of August today but my first Augusta arrived!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #253 on: August 31, 2022, 05:26:33 PM »

You now have a very good arsenal of tops!

I think ITSA will nominate a German Ambassador at the annual meeting  ;)

ortwin

• ITSA
  • Hyperhero member
« Reply #254 on: August 31, 2022, 06:03:56 PM »

You now have a very good arsenal of tops!
Correct, equipment wise I do not have an excuse left  for the very most tricks.
I even received another top this week that I did not mention yet: a YYF "Elec-Trick LED"
I call that my "winter top". For one it is whitish looking a bit like ice or snow. Secondly the bluish LED makes it better visible in the long nights of winter. And finally - and that is the main reason why I ordered it - it has a plastic tip making it feasible for indoor play. That means I can practice a bit throw tops  even if I will mainly go back to endurance tops in the winter season.