iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!  (Read 63539 times)

Hydrona

Re: Share your latest spintop acquisition!!
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2021, 06:08:59 AM »

Bonjour Hydrona,

Je possède également un Trompos Space Graffiti Roller, acheté il y a quelques années, qui me donne satisfaction. C'est vrai que je trouve les roulements de Trompo Space un peu dur notamment en comparaison de la strummol8  (mais les deux produits ne sont pas dans la même catégorie. Mon reproche, c'est que le décor n'a pas tenu dans le temps, sur ma Trompos Space Graffiti Roller il s'agissait d'une fine pellicule appliquée sur le corps de la toupie et qui s'est désagrégé dans le temps. Donc la toupie est maintenant totalement blanche, mais fonctionne bien mais sans la décoration qui en faisait un modèle différent.
Bonne utilisation.

Bonjour HYDRUS17R,
J'ai remarqué que la peinture se détache facilement. Mais ne t'inquiète pas, si nécessaire Je lui donne moi-même une couleur, si elle devait disparaître au fil des années. Désolé pour ma mauvaise réponse. Je dois utiliser google translate.
We live - on a spinning planet in a world of spin .

-Christopher Buckley -

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2021, 11:55:16 AM »

Good to know that the covering of the Graffiti is delicate, but somewhat disappointing. I guess I'll keep mine mainly for display. Fortunately, I have enough tops to play  ::) ::) ::)

Je dois utiliser google translate.
??? Mais, on parle Français dans la Belgique, n'est ce pas?

Hydrona

« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2021, 12:00:58 PM »

Je dois utiliser google translate.
??? Mais, on parle Français dans la Belgique, n'est ce pas?
[/quote]

I live in East Flanders, I speak Dutch /Flemish.
Never was good in French class!  :D

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2021, 12:10:55 PM »

OMG! I was trying to decipher the messages in French on my phone when a pop-up from Google Translate appeared all on its own. Basically, the pop-up indicated that it had detected some French and wanted to know if I'd like to see it in English.

So I took the offer, and lo and behold, the entire page, previously full of French, instantly became English, as if the page had been in English all along. Good, grammatical, idiomatic English -- with contractions even!

We live in a world of magic. :o

PS: Well, I guess we also live in a world of mystery. Try as I might, I can't get that pop-up to reappear. Maybe, as the movie hero might say after saving the day, it felt that "My work here is done."
« Last Edit: May 28, 2021, 12:21:03 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Art is how we decorate space, music is how we decorate time ... and with spinning tops, we decorate both.
—after Jean-Michel Basquiat, 1960-1988

Everything in the world is strange and marvelous to well-open eyes.
—Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1883-1955

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2021, 10:55:36 AM »

These tops were a gift from Elid Torres, an artisan from Tabasco Mexico.

Gus visited him for over a month. They exchanged ideas on top design. Gus showed Elid a Duncan Whistler I once gave him and Elid made the copy on the left. It's made of heavy hardwood and the black areas are burned marks. To duplicate the whistle he used two washers, spaced about 5 mm. I didn't think it would work, but it does whistle well. Perhaps the Duncan whistler has a higher peak loudness, but Elid's top whistles longer and at lower speed. I was really surprised and pleased. By the way, he also copied the Magic Groove, but he made it the right way, slanted. Gus also showed him a koma, what my have influenced the shape of the flatter whistler. It also whistles well.

The unpainted all-wooden top is interesting. You can throw it with a string but also spins very well if you use it as a finger top: a true hybrid. It's an original shape for a top.

The fourth top is made of bull horn. I remember when I was in Uruguay somebody produced a similar top from his pocket. Since then I wanted one and finally have it.  :)

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #215 on: May 31, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »

Gorgeous all, but the 2 in the middle really knock my socks off -- especially the one on the right! Closer photos, please.

While I'm asking for favors, could you also show a close-up of the 2-washer whisting system. Maybe I could adapt it to my tops. The best I've done so far is a cross between a low hum and a hiss, and only at the highest speeds.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:31:04 PM by Jeremy McCreary »

Texture

• ITSA
  • Superhero member
  • Split that top!
« Reply #216 on: May 31, 2021, 12:32:31 PM »

Very nice tops! I can't believe just by showing the whistling system to someone they can duplicate it so easily!   :o

Could you show a sideways picture of the first one? I'd like to see if I can make a similar design with the whistling system.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 12:37:25 PM by Texture »

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #217 on: May 31, 2021, 03:30:37 PM »

Very nice tops! I can't believe just by showing the whistling system to someone they can duplicate it so easily!   :o

Could you show a sideways picture of the first one? I'd like to see if I can make a similar design with the whistling system.

I tried to measure carefully the gap between the washers and it's about 8 mm. The hole is about 3.35 mm wide (1/8").

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #218 on: May 31, 2021, 03:36:02 PM »

Gorgeous all, but the 2 in the middle really knock my socks off -- especially the one on the right! Closer photos, please.

While I'm asking for favors, could you also show a close-up of the 2-washer whisting system. Maybe I could adapt it to my tops. The best I've done so far is a cross between a low hum and a hiss, and only at the highest speeds.

Thanks!

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #219 on: May 31, 2021, 07:00:44 PM »

Thanks!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #220 on: June 11, 2021, 09:45:38 AM »

One of the washers of the wooden whistler came out, what gave me the opportunity to test the sound with just one washer. The sound mostly disappeared, proving that the two washers separated by a gap are needed for the top to whistle efficiently.

Jeremy McCreary

• ITSA
  • Demigod member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #221 on: June 11, 2021, 12:35:58 PM »

One of the washers of the wooden whistler came out, what gave me the opportunity to test the sound with just one washer. The sound mostly disappeared, proving that the two washers separated by a gap are needed for the top to whistle efficiently.

Very interesting solution!

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #222 on: June 11, 2021, 11:21:19 PM »

Hmmm.  Whistles are still something that keep me stumped.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!!!

Hydrona

« Reply #223 on: August 24, 2021, 05:49:05 AM »

Got this today! A mercurio neon roller oro!
Ordered past Friday, and already here! Fast delivery!
Also ordered a glow in the dark cord with it.
It both came in a strong box.
The top itself is pretty heavy, and spins great!  ;D.
Going to have a good time with it. I only practice on grass, I don't want to break the top.
Thanks to trompos space for the great service and amazing tops  ;).

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #224 on: August 24, 2021, 01:45:33 PM »

That's a nice, limited edition (3259/4000) gold Mercury! Congratulations!

It's nice to see that Trompos Space is still in business. My understanding is that Javier Caballero had arranged to sell Trompos Space to dedicate himself to other opportunities. But then hit covid and his other businesses were more directly affected by the pandemic, so he changed plans.