iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Tops packed for festival  (Read 203 times)

Renee

• Gold Member
Tops packed for festival
« on: October 12, 2018, 12:28:08 PM »

I have a sampling of tops packed up for a festival on Saturday.  This doesn't include a box full of wood Royal tops for give-aways (from the Don Olney collection, courtesy of the Earl of Whirl). I have a couple Lego Spinjitzu Masters and other ripcord tops, a large assortment of finger spinners including a couple of the new i-Tops, other string pull tops and gyroscopes, and a whole bunch of throw/peg tops. 

Hoping to spin up some new interest in kids of all ages!

paxl13

Re: Tops packed for festival
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2018, 12:48:21 PM »

Cool Go go go Renee!!!!

mailman

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 12:50:07 PM »

Have a great time!

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2018, 02:48:23 PM »

Wonderful that you're taking tops to the maases. They'll understand once they've seen tops in person and put their hands on some again.

I do the same kind of outreach at LEGO shows, where I may have 100+ LEGO tops on display. As you clearly know, nothing creates more top love than letting visitors try and succeed with some tops brought for just that purpose.

Wondering if you're seeing the same age and gender trends I do?

Since our shows are mostly family events, we see all ages. Folks over 60 remember tops fondly and get into it right away. That's often enough to drag the grand kids off their phones. Love seeing the twinkles in everyone's eyes.

Thinking that the grandparents and I have the kids covered, many of the parents then vanish into phone-induced oblivion. The adults who really engage with the tops, with or without kids present, are mostly women.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 03:11:55 PM by Jeremy McCreary »
Playing with the physical world through LEGO

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2018, 11:26:12 PM »

That a way, Renee!  Don would be proud to hear of your efforts.  I am honored to be a small part of it.

Good luck with your event.  I know you will give it your best whirl.

Can't wait to hear how it all went.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

Renee

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2018, 02:21:35 AM »

I always carry at least one top in my pocket for my own entertainment, even when I walk my dog.  When I'm out and about around more people, I usually carry an extra to give away.  I was spinning in the airport while waiting for my flight recently, and the gate agent was excited to see the "gig".  She said she had played with them as a child, and wanted to give it a try.  Then she handed me her phone so I could take a video to show her children.  It was one of those magical moments when you witness our commonality.  Fortunately, I had another top/gig in my backpack and offered it to her.  It was greatfully received, and I think we both had a better day for it. 
And, just a couple of days ago, I was picking up the saucer sleds I ordered for the festival (it was 90 degrees outside) and the clerk said,  "There's no snow, what do you need these for?" "To spin tops." "You mean like Beyblades?" " No, like this." Then, I boomeranged my top, and asked him to hold out his hand.  I dropped it into his palm, and watched his wide-eyed appreciation. Again, I think we both had a better day for it.
I love sharing my love of tops!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 08:52:56 AM »

Those are wonderful stories, Renee!  :)
The gate agent was from Jamaica if she called it gig (one of my favorite top names).
Good work spreading the love for tops!

Kirk

• Hyperhero member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2018, 09:10:04 AM »

... Jamaica ... gig (one of my favorite top names).
Thanks for the info I wondered.

My experience spinning tops in airports is a bit different.  Hispanic men all nod and smile.  Old white men too.  The only top related interaction I have had with a gate agent is being asked to go somewhere else :) :(

Rene I hope you have a fun time today at the festival.

butterfingers

• Gold Member
  • "Non-marketable skills are my specialty"
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2018, 10:15:58 AM »

Have fun today - and post a couple pics if you can.

jim in paris

• Demigod member
  • "oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme
    • my vids on  youtube
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2018, 01:29:01 PM »

great stories renée

thanx for sharing ,
 sometimes it's a magic moment and sometimes
 you are" being asked to go somewhere else"

lilke

"go fly a kite" or "NIMBY"

jim
"oeuvre de coeur prend tout un homme"

Renee

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 02:56:44 PM »

It was a cold and cloudy day at the festival, but at least it didn't rain.  It was only about 45 degrees when we were setting up, and reached a high of 55.  We were in an asphalt parking lot, which was not very conducive to play with my better tops.  I mostly used my Cometa King Turbo for a demonstration of tricks.  It was the one I was most comfortable with sacrificing to a potential crash on the pavement.  I had a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet but it didn't add much padding.  I had a table set up with saucer sleds and frisbees with a variety of finger spinners and launcher tops.  And had some saucers on the ground for the Royal tops. 

Table tops - There was one little 3 year old that kept coming back to the table and trading in his finger spinner for a different one.  He had to stand on his tiptoes to see the tops.  He slipped away from his mom a couple of times, but she always knew where to find him.  I was telling people, "Come play!  Touch them, pick them up!"  Someone even mentioned that was not what they have always been told or taught, so they were reluctant.  But, once they got started, most had to try every variety on the table.

Throw tops - I gave away about two dozen tops in the 5 hours I was there.  I had many more people give it a try, but not accept a top.  The first person to try was a girl about 12 years old.  She got it to spin on the first try and I said, "Congratulations, you just won yourself a top!"  She was so excited, jumped up and down and gave me a big hug.  What she didn't know is I was going to give her a top whether she got it to spin on the first try or not.  She brought a few friends over to give it a try, and most were eventually successful.  One of the police officers on duty gave it a try.  He let go of the string, and the top went flying.  Fortunately, he was aiming away from any people.  I joked that if he wanted to try again we might need to clear the area or have an EMT on hand.  He tried once more, hung onto the string, but no spin. A couple of the nearby vendors came over early in the day to try it out.  I saw them back at their booths spinning their tops off and on all day.  One even came back and told me how addicting it was.  She asked about where to buy them, and what other kinds were available.  I got out my case and showed her some different options, and told her where to find them online. 

The crowd was predominantly in the teens to 40's age group.  The majority of people who tried throwing a top were women.  It seemed like the men were more reluctant to fail and be embarrassed.  And, a surprising number who tried were left handed, maybe even half.  It was a good opportunity for me to practice wrapping and throwing left handed.  I was getting more comfortable and having better success as the day went on.

Jeremy McCreary

• Hyperhero member
    • MOCpages
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2018, 03:32:37 PM »

Fun-looking display! Sounds like you had a good turnout in spite of the weather.

I was telling people, "Come play!  Touch them, pick them up!"  Someone even mentioned that was not what they have always been told or taught, so they were reluctant.  But, once they got started, most had to try every variety on the table.

Wow, wish we got such well-mannered crowds at LEGO shows! We put out "Do Not Touch" every 1-2 feet along the non-interactive displays, but they have little effect. Ditto with the "Please Don't Touch Without Asking First" signs in front of my top displays. The adults are generally worse than the kids.

Working on a LEGO force field for future shows.

The majority of people who tried throwing a top were women.  It seemed like the men were more reluctant to fail and be embarrassed.

Agree, fear of failure is a big part of it, but I also find adult males much more stand-offish in general. Some even stand back with a scowl and arms crossed while mom and the kids have a ball with my tops.

Women also seem to have less restrained senses of humor. When I make jokes (e.g., about LEGO force fields), women are much more likely to see them as jokes and join in.

Throw tops... I had many more people give it a try, but not accept a top.

Interesting! Would not have guessed that given the much lower chance of success on 1st try.

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2018, 03:54:43 PM »

The majority of people who tried throwing a top were women.  It seemed like the men were more reluctant to fail and be embarrassed.  And, a surprising number who tried were left handed, maybe even half.
That's probably correct  ::)

And, a surprising number who tried were left handed, maybe even half.  It was a good opportunity for me to practice wrapping and throwing left handed. 
That's really surprising, unless it was a family reunion of lefties  :P

Great job!

JNeff

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2018, 09:15:56 PM »

Sounds like you had a great event despite the weather. Thanks for sharing.
If its worth doing.....its worth overdoing