iTopSpin

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: How does the Bearing King compare to the Elec-Trick?  (Read 691 times)

paxl13

Re: How does the Bearing King compare to the Elec-Trick?
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2018, 10:46:06 AM »

I'd love to do that but hoenstly that's not possible without a lathe I think :( And sadly I do'nt have a lathe 'yet' =)

No, you don't need a lathe. It helps in heating the thing uniformly, but you could just move the heat gun around. You can see Neff himself trying it on this thread, although it finished in an explosive manner: Oversize soda armor >:D

What you probably need is a heat gun as I don't think a hair drier would heat it to the needed temperature.

I might grab a heat gun next time I go an hardware store... I do still need a lathe to make big tops :) Or find pple with lathe that wants to sell them :P

=)

Christop

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2018, 12:02:16 AM »

BK came in the mail today and I've played with it for a few hours. These are my first impressions:
-- I definitely see why people don't recommend this as a first bearing top since the string that comes with it is tiny and way too short to throw a proper boomerang.
-- Glad I was already aware of the need to tape the lid since it appeared to be either stuck on fast or ready to fall off on my first couple practice throws right after I pulled it out of the mailbox.
-- The tip is definitely the weakest thing about it as many folks have brought up. At the same time it really likes to grab the string and I successfully landed multiple corkscrews in a row where I've struggled with the Elec-Trick and my fixed tip tops (which also have the more diabolo style tips) on that particular trick.
-- The weight distribution seems really nice though I see why Neff and others have opted to drill out the top of the cap since there is a ton of weight there. The shape just feels less awkward than the Elec-Trick.

So far it's a great little top.

paxl13

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2018, 07:38:20 AM »

BK came in the mail today and I've played with it for a few hours. These are my first impressions:
-- I definitely see why people don't recommend this as a first bearing top since the string that comes with it is tiny and way too short to throw a proper boomerang.
-- Glad I was already aware of the need to tape the lid since it appeared to be either stuck on fast or ready to fall off on my first couple practice throws right after I pulled it out of the mailbox.
-- The tip is definitely the weakest thing about it as many folks have brought up. At the same time it really likes to grab the string and I successfully landed multiple corkscrews in a row where I've struggled with the Elec-Trick and my fixed tip tops (which also have the more diabolo style tips) on that particular trick.
-- The weight distribution seems really nice though I see why Neff and others have opted to drill out the top of the cap since there is a ton of weight there. The shape just feels less awkward than the Elec-Trick.

So far it's a great little top.

I should attempt to drill a hole in the cover. I'm sure the top would play better... I did that to my blue QSH... plays wonderfully :)

mailman

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2018, 08:50:19 AM »

Opening the crown on a BK is a common modification, and several of mine have had that done.  The shrink-wrap plastic covering is also very worthwhile.

There are other mods, too.  I have a Duncan BK with a Strummol8 fixed tip  ;D....

Christop

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2018, 10:04:27 AM »

I tried my hand at balancing the BK last night and found that the weight ring causes serious vibration. I have removed it, but is there a better weight ring to use? I would like to keep the rim weight if possible.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:31:35 PM by Christop »

paxl13

« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2018, 03:10:31 PM »

I tried my hand at balancing the BK last night and found that the weight ring causes serious vibration. I have removed it, but is there a better weight ring to use? I would like to keep the rim weight if possible.

At some point I found it in my son's mouth... ( yeah the weight ring... kind of decided after that that it wasn't usable anymore :P

Christop

« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2018, 03:24:10 PM »

Next step is definitely getting a good stepping drill bit and opening up the cap on my Grande and BK and trying out that diet setup. It'll be nice to be able to quickly adjust the balance because removing the cap over and over gets really tiring.

paxl13

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2018, 07:35:26 AM »

So I had some fun last night with my drill and a dremel and obviously not a lot of time so the job isn't cute BUT... WOW ... JUST WOW... the decapped BK is like 20x better than the cappeds one.. Last problem would be to have a good bearing set in there and we would have a killer top ;)

I need to retape and finally balence it out properly but it's pretty good out of the box to be fair...

paxl13

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2018, 11:20:09 AM »

Yeah the TopLess BK is a good top... I was able to pull constantly :

Bomerang to Lasso into hand to Corkscrew (4x) to orbit ( 5x ) to rollercoaster to string ( 5x ) to hand...

Nice top :) I happy to have taken the time to decap it...

vegabomb

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2018, 02:50:06 AM »

That inspired me to do the same! Drill press, then dremel, then metal file. Plays really nice. :)

paxl13

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »

That inspired me to do the same! Drill press, then dremel, then metal file. Plays really nice. :)

Yours looks cleaner!! 😎

But yeah, surprisingly good top once the top has lost her cap

Christop

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2018, 08:44:17 PM »

All I have is a drill, but what kind of drill bits should I use to open up the cap? I can fashion a sanding bit once I get to that point.

the Earl of Whirl

• ITSA
  • Olympus member
    • St. Jacob Lutheran with a tops page
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2018, 10:30:37 PM »

Just went by a business today that may fit into this thread.  The name of the business is "A Little Off the Top!!!"

It is a barber.
Happiness runs in a circular motion!

ta0

• Administrator
  • Olympus member
    • www.ta0.com
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2018, 01:56:59 PM »

Just went by a business today that may fit into this thread.  The name of the business is "A Little Off the Top!!!"

It is a barber.

Ha! ;D Good match for the tread. Figaro approves it.

Neff

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod member
    • My Website!
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2018, 03:09:29 PM »

I'd love to do that but hoenstly that's not possible without a lathe I think :( And sadly I do'nt have a lathe 'yet' =)

No, you don't need a lathe. It helps in heating the thing uniformly, but you could just move the heat gun around. You can see Neff himself trying it on this thread, although it finished in an explosive manner: Oversize soda armor >:D

What you probably need is a heat gun as I don't think a hair drier would heat it to the needed temperature.

Dear Ta0,

For a clean edge I must insist you need a lathe or some sort of lathe-type jig.  Have you or someone you know been able to come up with a clean edge without a lathe?  Our dear friend bAd who came up with this heat-shrink armor idea in the first place, he did not have a lathe, and he ended up taping the ends, which kind of defeats the purpose IMO.

Also, the video you reference was about expanding the capacity of a two liter bottle so it would fit over larger diameter tops (an idea I got from you), not lathe-less armor as you seem to claim.

Anyway, my two cents for the topic at hand:

All of these tops have pros and cons but I really like the Short Circuit and the Elec-trick. So inexpensive! I have handled many now and the smoothness of spin is very consistent, unlike Duncan or Spintastics tops. However, the YYF buttons are way too heavy, and I have met numerous folks who have broken tips, unlike Duncan or Spintastics tops. I personally have not broken any YYF tips yet.  Otherwise, YYF tops do not have a seam in the body, so you do  not have to wrap it in sticky electrical tape, unlike Duncan or Spintastics. Now, I would prefer a modified BK or Spintastics Grande (heat shrink armor and hole in the crown) over a stock Elec-Trick just for the tip durability.  I think all of these shapes are O.K., I don't prefer one over the other.